Derr hunting!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Derr hunting!!

HEMI 27
08-19-2006, 11:44
I have note been deer hunting since I was 12 ( I am now 22)
I decided I wanted to give it another try this year. I have a Ruger 30-06 and believe that is plenty of rifle for my needs.

I need any info or a point in the right direction so I can study up on what clothes I should wear, good tactics, etc.

Basically this will be like my first time hunting again. Thanks in advance

noway
08-20-2006, 13:42
Why the big hiatus? ;)

As far as pointers, whatever you did at 12yrs would work at 22. Clothes nomatter what you opt for camo or not, needs to be comfortable and quiet. A comfortable hunter would hunt better and longer and a quiet hunter will be less detected by games.

tactics will depend on your location and method and isn't the same for ALL hunting nor all people.

i.e KS plainsland vrs Ga savannahs vrs FL Pine Island.

Tree stand vrs ground blind vrs spot/stalk

if you haven't did your homework as of yet, get out now and scout, look for signs, research topology and look for deer trails,scats dropping, natural cover,etc....

And finally ,yes your 30-06 is more than enough rifle

noway
08-20-2006, 13:43
oh btw, if you can find a partner that's familiar with your area and game.

GeorgiaGlockMan
08-20-2006, 16:40
As a Georgia boy, you'll want to check out Georgia Outdoor News' Forums.

Great info there that will get you up to speed in no time.

HEMI 27
08-20-2006, 20:33
Yeah I got a buddy whos gonna re-show me the ropes. We went to the buck-a-ramma today and he bought some stinking liquid stuff to put out. Also we scouted a few weeks ago and the deer are scraping ( think that's the right word) near are stands we have put up. we bought some stuff called deer cane (white block) and put it out as well. Hes got a feeder and going to set it up also (i know we cant be near it or the game warden will have a field day with us)

noway
08-20-2006, 20:46
{we bought some stuff called deer cane (white block) and put it out as well}

if you want a good deer attractant check out cmere door attractant which is not to be confused as food supplements. Deer will actually stay around the area that you use this in.

HEMI 27
08-20-2006, 21:02
yeah i bought a bottle of that stuff... came in a 32oz spray bottle... So i take it is good stuff? How should i spray it? the guy told me to spray it everywhere on my way to the stand and on me to help cover my smells up

vafish
08-21-2006, 10:44
Originally posted by noway
Clothes nomatter what you opt for camo or not, needs to be comfortable and quiet. A comfortable hunter would hunt better and longer and a quiet hunter will be less detected by games.

One more thing on clothes.

While you don't need the latest camoflage gear to blend in, studies have shown that deer do see some color. Most of it in the blue range.

So those Blue Jeans on your legs will stand out more to a deer than the Blaze Orange Vest on your chest.

So skip the blue jeans.

HEMI 27
08-21-2006, 17:17
Originally posted by vafish
One more thing on clothes.

While you don't need the latest camoflage gear to blend in, studies have shown that deer do see some color. Most of it in the blue range.

So those Blue Jeans on your legs will stand out more to a deer than the Blaze Orange Vest on your chest.

So skip the blue jeans.
most of my camo is from old BDU's I had when I was in the military. Hell if the army used them in war I am sure it will work against a deer;)