2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 vs. 2004 Subaru WRX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Nissan Altima 3.5 vs. 2004 Subaru WRX

Kuroineko
08-21-2006, 04:45
So I'm possibly going to buy one of these. The WRX is $1000 more than the Altima which is $14993, and has about 10,000 miles more. What I'm wanting to know is which is the better of the two. Both are automatic transmission. I have not test driven either. I'd love to hear from those of you who own said vehicles... problems or gripes with each. Fuel economy and performance with each.

Thanks in advance.:)

epsylum
08-21-2006, 06:30
I would say depends. The Altima is bigger obviously, but lacks the AWD that the Sube has.

Personally I would go for the Sube, but I like smaller sporty sedans.

I think they are both good choices, though.

Bushflyr
08-21-2006, 11:35
I'm not familiar with the Nissan, but the WRX is a fantastic car. The only thing is that you're going to be kicking yourself if you get an automatic. The best thing about the Subie is it's handling (ok, the power is nice too. And the sound. And the seats, but the '02's are better.) and an automatic tranny totally buggers up it's cornering. There're a ton of both cars out there so I'd keep looking for a stick WRX. Personally I like the wagon better too. :cool:

Asha'man
08-22-2006, 00:42
Automatics suck. I'd go for the WRX, especially because I don't think you can get the Altima in a manual.

Brian

Nelybarg
08-22-2006, 02:10
had an 02 wrx wagon. was prolly my fav car that i've ever owned. AWD is awesome. power is awesome, space...decent. my wife complained that the passenger compartment was too small. i called it cozy. but with a second kid coming, it'd be too cramped so i traded it in on a mazda6 sport wagon. its got about the same power in the v6, but less a zippiness feel. at least its a bigger car.

method
08-22-2006, 02:59
You can get a manual in the Altima, and it's the only way to go with either car...automatics sap too much power and just flat out suck.

Ron3
08-22-2006, 22:16
Yes I think the manual Altima is a 6-speed.

If their both autos their both less fun than a manual, so it doesn't matter. :supergrin:

Ron3

Toxie
08-23-2006, 13:11
I had an 02 WRX, and it was a nice car. The paint was EXTREMELY thin, it has too little torque and got so-so gas mileage (around 17-18 city). It was reliable, and the AWD works like the dickens.

Ron3
08-23-2006, 19:56
Originally posted by Toxie
I had an 02 WRX, and it was a nice car. The paint was EXTREMELY thin, it has too little torque and got so-so gas mileage (around 17-18 city). It was reliable, and the AWD works like the dickens.

Most manufactures paint has been bad since, well, maybe it's always been bad?

I can't think of any make that doesn't have thin paint, or paint that flakes off, or fades quickly, or bubbles, or had massive amounts of orange peel.

Ron3

Kuroineko
08-24-2006, 00:13
Thanks for the responses. Well it appears that the Altima was listed incorrectly and does not have the V6 engine. I did however find an 03 WRX with 5 speed and about 55,000 miles for $15,000. Problem is that I'm looking for a car for my Fiance, and something that I can use as a secondary car to have a little fun with. She does not drive standard as of yet.
She saw a 01 Passat turbo (automatic) that she likes. I don't know what it's going to be.

Nelybarg
08-24-2006, 02:56
careful on the wrx. a lot of kids get them and race them. make sure if you're getting a used one, to have it 100% gone over by a subie mechanic. be sure to have the clutch checked out too. the clutches were notorious for failing...

check www.nasioc.com for subie info.

dont get me wrong, its an awesome car, but theres a lot of maintenance involved with it.

Bushflyr
08-25-2006, 19:32
Originally posted by Nelybarg
careful on the wrx. a lot of kids get them and race them. make sure if you're getting a used one, to have it 100% gone over by a subie mechanic. be sure to have the clutch checked out too. the clutches were notorious for failing...

check www.nasioc.com for subie info.

dont get me wrong, its an awesome car, but theres a lot of maintenance involved with it.

I don't know where you heard that, not on Nasioc. If you buy one that's tricked and tuned, yeah it may have been romped a bit. But, for the most part, they're just starting to be noticed by the ricer crowd. As for maintence, the 2.0 is pretty bomb proof. The gearbox issues start to arise when you're pushing over 300 AWHP or so. Or being an idiot and dumping the clutch on pavement. Also, if you do run into problems at some point they're stupidly easy to work on.

dano1427
08-27-2006, 04:28
If it's a 3.5l Altima, than it's a V6.

I have an '02 WRX, and it has had clutch and tranny problems. It's bone stock, not abused, etc, but 1st gear grinds sometimes, and it has issues downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. The clutch was replaced twice at the dealership for chatter issues.

I'm looking for replacement wheels...

-dan

slaytera666
08-29-2006, 20:27
Originally posted by Nelybarg
the clutches were notorious for failing...

What?! No they weren't. My WRX made WAAAAY more power than a stock WRX and I had zero issues with about 30 passes at the track. If anything, the tranny is the weak link.

Hando
08-29-2006, 23:23
the altima is more comparable to the legacy or maybe the outback. the wrx is a small, sporty, 4 cyl car. it wasnt made so much for comfort.

i use to have a '02 TS and if you dont really want a fast(er) car, the regular (not turbo charged) imprezas are pretty nice. i used to get 25mpg (mixed city/highway) in my TS (auto transmission wagon plus my foot is pretty heavy). RS is the sedan version with manual transmission. also a very nice car but it doesnt have as much cargo space. i like the wagon but no matter what get a manual if you can. it gets better mileage, and even if you have problems with the transmission it can be fixed unlike the automatic. you can find one for a pretty good price too.

AWD is awesome.

i now have a '04 STi. same body style as the regular wrx. I love the design. It is simple yet functional. again, not that much leg room in the back but i rarely have passengers, plus I am always the one driving, so... not my problem :) nice thing about the turbocharged cars is that you can get a pretty good gas mileage if you dont push them.

you can find one in decent shape (still with factory warranty) for a good price. so it is a win win. for an extra $1000 you can get the extended factory warranty. if you do not like working on your car, that is an option too.

i drove home a loaner today. a subaru outback. pretty nice car if you prefer comfort over performance. still i had no problem passing people on the highway at a fair speed.
plenty of room in the back. plenty of cargo space. and the transmission allows shifting in a simulated manual mode (i am not sure what this is called). i am sure they are a little more $$$ but it is a roomy, comfortable car.

i have no experience with the altima. since my first subaru i am pretty set on the brand.

Accord
09-05-2006, 11:01
If you want a car that will get you from point A to point B, get the Nissan.

If you want a car that will get you from point A to point B with a huge smile on your face and you can have fun in, get the WRX.