Questions for you guys. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions for you guys.

daunity
08-22-2006, 14:17
Hi guys. I hope I am not imposing with these questions.

At some point recently I have finally concluded that my life is on the same course it was on three years ago, but moving at a snails pace. I don't really feel anything anymore. I don't feel happy about how things are going, because it just has always been this way.

I've been thinking that maybe I need to start over, come back up from some sort of beginning so I can regain my respect for how my life is.

This is where I started thinking about joining the service, which I am not entirely sure. This is why I come to you, because I find the Marines to be what I might need. You may disagree, and if you do, help me understand.

I feel like I need to be put into a situation that is not comfortable to be reminded how great normal life really is. Plenty of ways to do this, but none that would get me something more out of it more then joining a service.

I am a technical guy. I'm not a programmer. I am very good with hardware and networking. I've always had a great time ripping things apart and rebuilding them.

I also really love firearms.

What out there could put me in a world that sucks for a few months, and gradually bring me back up to a point where I can respect life, but furthermore gain something I can use to help me for the rest of my life?

Hopefully you can understand this.

Side note, I'm pretty good at taking crap, but any pointers? Say I did join the Marines, what should I be mindful of?

Anything that can help. Thanks.

Ignition
08-22-2006, 16:02
we have a wide variety of jobs. just a few off the top of my head

computers
electronic repairs - techs
engineers

your best bet would be to sit and talk with a recruiter, they can help give you a good picture of what your looking for

Good Luck with lifes choices.

Its still the best thing i could of done with my life, imo

Kingslayer
08-22-2006, 16:55
Originally posted by daunity
Hi guys. I hope I am not imposing with these questions.

Never!

At some point recently I have finally concluded that my life is on the same course it was on three years ago, but moving at a snails pace. I don't really feel anything anymore. I don't feel happy about how things are going, because it just has always been this way.

You haven't seen a snails pace until you join the Marine Corps. They are the masters of "Hurry up and wait".

I've been thinking that maybe I need to start over, come back up from some sort of beginning so I can regain my respect for how my life is.

I don't know if the Marines are going to help you with that. To be honest with you, the 8 years I spent in the Corps were the most fun 8 years of my life. If you deploy to a foriegn country, you'll have a healthier respect for this country and what it's done for you, and you'll also learn to hate your government for all they don't. But if you get sent to combat you'll learn to cherish every day you wake up breathing.

This is where I started thinking about joining the service, which I am not entirely sure. This is why I come to you, because I find the Marines to be what I might need. You may disagree, and if you do, help me understand.

You sound depressed. Making a decision like this under these conditions may not be the best idea in the world. You could regret your decision once your in and you will cause the 4 longest years of your life and it will cause you more pain and trouble than it's worth. If you do enjoy it then the Marine Corps will instill in you a sense of pride you'll never lose.

I feel like I need to be put into a situation that is not comfortable to be reminded how great normal life really is. Plenty of ways to do this, but none that would get me something more out of it more then joining a service.

Take a vacation and visit a foriegn country, spend some time in a sauna, do something else to make yourself uncomfortable. Joining the service will remind you of your past, great, normal life. The problem is that you could miss it too much and again, cause the longest 4 years of your life.

I am a technical guy. I'm not a programmer. I am very good with hardware and networking. I've always had a great time ripping things apart and rebuilding them.

Great, you've got job skills. Find a challenging job outside of the service. They're there. Find them. If you still want to join the service the good news is that you already have a job skill when you get out, so while you're in, do something different, like a combat MOS.

I also really love firearms.

You're going to play with firearms more now than you are in the service. Did you know the Coast Guard has a higher annual peacetime budget for .50 cal ammo than the Marines? Guess who uses their guns more...

What out there could put me in a world that sucks for a few months, and gradually bring me back up to a point where I can respect life, but furthermore gain something I can use to help me for the rest of my life?

The Marines will do this, but I don't think you're in a good mental state for it. You have to want it. You have to want it deep down inside before you even get there. You have to want it because you want to be the best, not because you want a life change.

Hopefully you can understand this.

Side note, I'm pretty good at taking crap, but any pointers? Say I did join the Marines, what should I be mindful of?

Yep. Don't. I honestly think your doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons. I think you're going to cause yourself more grief than you think. I think you're going to hate the service regardless of what branch you chose. I think you should make changes with your current life than try to start a new one.

daunity
08-22-2006, 22:38
I appreciate your time in replying, my responses :)

Originally posted by Kingslayer
Never!
You haven't seen a snails pace until you join the Marine Corps. They are the masters of "Hurry up and wait".

I don't know if the Marines are going to help you with that. To be honest with you, the 8 years I spent in the Corps were the most fun 8 years of my life. If you deploy to a foriegn country, you'll have a healthier respect for this country and what it's done for you, and you'll also learn to hate your government for all they don't. But if you get sent to combat you'll learn to cherish every day you wake up breathing.
See, this sounds awesome to me. I read these forums and see while parts of it may have sucked you had a great time doing it. I've always showed interest in the idea of the service, but I never really thought about it as a way to help my life.
You sound depressed. Making a decision like this under these conditions may not be the best idea in the world. You could regret your decision once your in and you will cause the 4 longest years of your life and it will cause you more pain and trouble than it's worth. If you do enjoy it then the Marine Corps will instill in you a sense of pride you'll never lose.
I'm not depressed! :) I assure you. I read back and I agree it did sound something along those lines, but more I've been thinking about my future a bit.

Take a vacation and visit a foriegn country, spend some time in a sauna, do something else to make yourself uncomfortable.
All of which cost money, loss of job, etc. I rather go somewhere that I can learn more about myself and discipline.. and I mean, think.. later in life. Military experience on a resume? VA? All of these are great pluses.

Joining the service will remind you of your past, great, normal life. The problem is that you could miss it too much and again, cause the longest 4 years of your life.
I learn to make the best of the situation.
Great, you've got job skills. Find a challenging job outside of the service. They're there. Find them. If you still want to join the service the good news is that you already have a job skill when you get out, so while you're in, do something different, like a combat MOS.
Challenging jobs don't interest me. Having something else in my life does. I have hobbies, but none of them really seem to peak my interest.. But to be a part of something bigger and to share experiences with others while learning something.. I hope you can understand where I'm getting at -- I just think it'd be a great experience that I can reflect on later in life.

You're going to play with firearms more now than you are in the service. Did you know the Coast Guard has a higher annual peacetime budget for .50 cal ammo than the Marines? Guess who uses their guns more...
Interesting.

The Marines will do this, but I don't think you're in a good mental state for it. You have to want it. You have to want it deep down inside before you even get there. You have to want it because you want to be the best, not because you want a life change.
I understand where you're going, but I still have the urge to do it. I'm looking into if I DO want it.. and honestly, somewhere in the back of my mind, I do. I'm just trying to make sure if it is the right path.

Yep. Don't. I honestly think your doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons. I think you're going to cause yourself more grief than you think. I think you're going to hate the service regardless of what branch you chose. I think you should make changes with your current life than try to start a new one.

..why would I hate it? :)