National Guard MP's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : National Guard MP's

eric76mi
08-25-2006, 12:38
I have been thinking of joining the National Guard I'm married 30 and have 2 kids so the regular Army is out of the question, I'm looking into being a MP because I also want to get into LE and can't afford going to collage for 2 years and then looking for a department to hire me. Questions, would serving an a MP help get me into LE ? I've heard MP's are highly deployable, What role does a MP play in Iraq? I'm worried about not getting the correct training for the jobs I may do over there and want to choose a MOS that will prepare me for anything. I'm not afraid of being deployed I afraid of being deployed with half-assed training. My employer at the moment is supporting me (but they don't know I'm doing this mostly for LE training) and so is my family.

FDC
08-25-2006, 13:07
Originally posted by eric76mi
I have been thinking of joining the National Guard I'm married 30 and have 2 kids so the regular Army is out of the question,

That's a BS objection.

As far as the half azzed training goes, you've been watching too much CNN, or listening to too many morons.

Battle Nun
08-25-2006, 22:49
Hey Bud:

To be a good soldier, you need your family to support you, no matter what you choose. If you go guard, expect it to be just like active these days. You will be mobilized and sent to Iraq, face it and do your job well, or your concience will haunt you for life.

Heck, the Army is making everyone an MP these days. Iraq sucks, but we all do our turn. Arabs are (thankfully) lousy shots but real good with bombs.

I have 9 years active and 3 years guard so I have done it both ways.

If you serve your country you must give it everything you have. Too many troops are half a**ed, even in wartime. Make a difference. Talk it over with your wife. Believe nothing a recruiter tells you.

There are those who raise their right hand and those who don't. Choose.

Good luck.

DennisP
08-29-2006, 10:09
Your fear of the guard not being trained up to standards is misplaced. Currently the Guard and Reserves are being called on to an extreme amount and are trained accordingly. Now in the first Gulf war, it was noticeable the diffrence between active duty and reserve troops. Now though it is not so, If you are into it for the adventure and excitement of a deployment you will not be disappointed. If you think you are going to get some great Law Enforcement training, you will be disappointed. I was an MP in the Army and now I am a Federal LEO and I can tell you the army's LE is about twenty yuears behind civilian LE. That is a fact, I am not trying to shortchange the troops because they are high speed but the le training has something to be desired.

Good luck and think it through.

Dennis P.

Armorbearer
08-30-2006, 17:52
One word..."TAMPA"

For those of you who dont know. Tampa is the main stretch of MSR from Kuwait to Anaconda. Hajji loves to ied the s*$% out of it. So sit low and be Proactive not reactive.

nothing
08-31-2006, 07:05
Originally posted by Armorbearer
One word..."TAMPA"

For those of you who dont know. Tampa is the main stretch of MSR from Kuwait to Anaconda. Hajji loves to ied the s*$% out of it. So sit low and be Proactive not reactive.

Yep, I used to live on CP 18. I don't know how the MP's could stand running that same route 12 hours a day; day after day, but they did. I've done it a few times myself and it gets old fast.

Armorbearer
08-31-2006, 18:10
You are right, Its gets old very quick. But I would rather run Tampa than any back road around Biap. We got into a awesome firefight between 18 and 19 one night. It was probally 1 or 2 minutes past midnight Jan 01 06. We got hit w/ a ied in the median then small arms from the east...It was like they were putting on a fire works show for new years. I still Praise the Lord for the Supernatural Protection he had over us that night and all the other nights and days too. It alot more than just luck...

Mterada
09-02-2006, 02:40
I have been thinking of joining the National Guard I'm married 30 and have 2 kids so the regular Army is out of the question,

What exactly do you mean by that?

Im not trying to be a smartass with the question, but the way it's phrased sounds like you feel that money/job/deployments are subpar with your current lifestyle. If so, then the military is the wrong choice for you.

OP'S WORLD
09-06-2006, 19:46
just curious if anyone has been to camp arifjan lately, was there 2 years ago living in a big ware house? And no Tampa is not a very nice road to be on at all. :50 cal:

VPR Victor
09-15-2006, 23:57
I'm in the same boat here. I'm 32, and after 13 years in retail management, I'm looking to do something with more meaning. I'm currently trying to complete an Associates in Criminal Justice while applying for local LE along the way. Not having very good luck getting in (Northern VA)with the many applicants along side of me, I'm thinking Army Reserve as a M.P. All my life I've wanted to join the Army but just never pushed on. Question is the same above, will the military experience help in this?

-Victor

DriBak
09-22-2006, 16:12
I believe the Army has raised the enlistment age

rebbryan
10-07-2006, 11:49
I'll chime in real quick. I'm SC LE and I keep thinking I might go reserve mil, but the timing just sucks. Military will look good on a LE resume period, MP will probably help a tad more, but either way it'll work for you.

If moving is a consideration, the south has many more openings in LE than the north. But we usually have a higher line of duty death rate too, the pay is technically lower but I think it works out w/ living price differences, and body armor + heat + humidity sucks, but it's not unbearable. PM me or go to coptalk if you have anymore Q's

I think what the original poster meant was he doesn't want an all military life, he still wants his civilian part, etc. I'm not sure of what all MP's do in Iraq, I know they work in the jails, that's about it.

RENEA
10-14-2006, 04:33
Originally posted by eric76mi
I have been thinking of joining the National Guard I'm married 30 and have 2 kids so the regular Army is out of the question, I'm looking into being a MP because I also want to get into LE and can't afford going to collage for 2 years and then looking for a department to hire me. Questions, would serving an a MP help get me into LE ? I've heard MP's are highly deployable, What role does a MP play in Iraq? I'm worried about not getting the correct training for the jobs I may do over there and want to choose a MOS that will prepare me for anything. I'm not afraid of being deployed I afraid of being deployed with half-assed training. My employer at the moment is supporting me (but they don't know I'm doing this mostly for LE training) and so is my family.

Former MP NCO here. To answer some of your questions:

1- "Questions, would serving an a MP help get me into LE ?"

Yes and/or no, depending on the qualifications and criteria set forth by the LE agency you're applying to. Some may like it, some may not give it a second glance. The bottom line is you'd have a DD214 with Veteran's preference.

2- "I've heard MP's are highly deployable, What role does a MP play in Iraq?"

You heard right. Demand for MP's is at an all time high because they are very versatile & are excellent force multipliers. One of my old unit mottos was "We do it all". In Iraq you'll be doing MSR recons/patrols, PSD operations and pretty much anything else your command volunteers you for. Some missions are cool, some not so cool.

3- "I'm worried about not getting the correct training for the jobs I may do over there and want to choose a MOS that will prepare me for anything. I'm not afraid of being deployed I afraid of being deployed with half-assed training."

Don't worry about that. Any NCO worth their salt will make sure that their troops are trained to standard before deploying. Remember that many Reserve and Guard NCO's spent a minute on the Active Duty side. Don't listen to the gloom and doom reports of the MSM. The Military Police Corps is highly trained to carry out any mission given to it and they are doing an exemplary job in the Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Good luck to you whatever you choose to do.

cgrivois
10-14-2006, 12:39
I may be able to add a little to this thread as well. Im a Reservest SSG from columbia sc, when we got activated, we spent 2 months at a mob station for train up. The training you get there is what you make of it. Will they teach you every thing, absolutly not, but listen to those that have experience and youll be ok. Im in Iraq right now and can tell you MP's are being run hard. In fact, Im an infantryman in an MP role. Im running convoy security missions on a daily basis. Reserves is not realy a bad deal, money isnt bad, neither are the benifits. If your realy worried about getting quality training, go active duty for three years, then go reserves. Youll get all of the training you want active duty. Personlay I wouldnt join the guard, real hard to get promoted. Someone has to die or retire to open slots for promotion.

stevethemp
11-11-2006, 17:42
Originally posted by OP'S WORLD
just curious if anyone has been to camp arifjan lately, was there 2 years ago living in a big ware house? And no Tampa is not a very nice road to be on at all. :50 cal:

i don't know much about tampa, spent my year deployed in kuwait. L&O MP duty can be teidious at times. I was at Arifjan from Dec 04 until Nov 05. When I got there, people were still living in the warehouses and tents just outside of the warehouses. When I left, the warehouses had been vacated by humans and filled with equipment, vehicles, repair/refit shops and small vermin. It's definately changed as a permanent facility and will continue to expand and adapt as the premier operational facility in Kuwait, as Doha is being given back to the Kuwaiti government. Don't ask me why, it just is. Hope that helps out.

SPC Steve DeHaan
430th MP Det (L&O)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/camp-arifjan-imagery.htm
old school sat pics of arifjan :laughabove:

youngsta614
11-11-2006, 19:05
are they still paying you guys in kuwait with combat pay? unless you convoy to iraq, i think its BS. last tiem they seen combat was over 10 years ago. anyone stayed at fob kalsu in 2005?

nothing
11-11-2006, 20:44
Originally posted by youngsta614
anyone stayed at fob kalsu in 2005?

I spent some time at Kalsu in 05
Co C 1-155 IN/TF 2-11 ACR

youngsta614
11-11-2006, 21:35
Originally posted by nothing
I spent some time at Kalsu in 05
Co C 1-155 IN/TF 2-11 ACR

ohh you guys were with the mississippi NG huh? cool. wow they had crazy girls that came over to do base security, utah guard i think...but those three girls where too easy.

nothing
11-11-2006, 22:28
yeah, we were MSARNG. I don't know about any females. We were a line company and didn't have any. Not to mention most of our time was spent either on patrol or defending 2 patrol bases. I'm guessing you were in 2-11.

stevethemp
11-11-2006, 23:27
are they still paying you guys in kuwait with combat pay? unless you convoy to iraq, i think its BS. last tiem they seen combat was over 10 years ago. anyone stayed at fob kalsu in 2005?

actually, yeah kuwait is still in the combat pay area. what of it? i know we didn't deal with the same problems that our brothers and sisters up north did, i still feel we earned our pay. what did you do youngsta? just wondering
SPC Steve DeHaan
430th MP Det (L&O)

jmshady
11-12-2006, 00:58
Originally posted by stevethemp
actually, yeah kuwait is still in the combat pay area. what of it? i know we didn't deal with the same problems that our brothers and sisters up north did, i still feel we earned our pay. what did you do youngsta? just wondering
SPC Steve DeHaan
430th MP Det (L&O)

Don't worry about him he is just a, in his own legend, a S*** Hot AD Infantry Soldier that is better than everyone else. Thankfully they are a dying breed in the military since everyone realizes that we all do the same job.

I spent all my time in Iraq and I did not make the policy on who got combat pay, I just did my job and laughed at all the bi***ing about stuff like that. It does not matter.

youngsta614
11-12-2006, 10:37
2/60th b co. inf div.

nothing
11-13-2006, 07:16
2/60th b co. inf div.

2/60th was never in Iraq, it's a TDA unit at Ft. Jackson.

jmshady
11-13-2006, 15:23
Originally posted by nothing
2/60th was never in Iraq, it's a TDA unit at Ft. Jackson.

OOPS..........:shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

http://www.jackson.army.mil/260/index.htm

Edited to add above link.