Gift idea (please help) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gift idea (please help)

lcarreau
08-27-2006, 00:07
My Pinay fiance's birthday is coming up a few days after our wedding. She won't give even the slightest hint about what to get. She is an educated gal in her late 30s. She does not seem to be into jewelry and I already got her a beginner's gun to try to draw her into my hobby. She is into scrap booking, needle point and other girly stuff that vexes me from a gift buying perspective.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are both in Texas.

-Lonnie

PMMA97
08-27-2006, 00:23
There is no place like "home" ;)

lcarreau
08-27-2006, 00:27
Originally posted by PMMA97
There is no place like "home" ;)

Home is covered. We live in a typical suburban type house that is paid off. I just want a cool, memorable b-day gift.

-Lonnie

PMMA97
08-27-2006, 00:34
Try to get her something that reminds her of her "home". The Philippines. Maybe a CD of the latest Pinoy bands or a pre paid phone card so she could call relatives.Or if you don't have it yet, a cable subscription to the Filipino Channel.

Goodluck!

amd4me
08-27-2006, 00:43
Whenever in doubt I give the 8$ inflateable sheep.

lcarreau
08-27-2006, 00:46
Try to get her something that reminds her of her "home". The Philippines. Maybe a CD of the latest Pinoy bands or a pre paid phone card so she could call relatives.Or if you don't have it yet, a cable subscription to the Filipino Channel.

Goodluck!

Maybe I have spoiled her, but these are a done deal. She often watches this show where some gay, bald dude, interviews people. She calls family and friends pretty often as pre paid cards are dirt cheap now. In this area, there are plenty of international markets for a taste of home.

How about art?

-Lonnie

KevlarSix
08-27-2006, 01:18
An MP3 player would be a good choice.

mikol
08-27-2006, 02:26
a package trip to BORACAY will be good gift if your time permits.:)
not really necessary to have it schedule on her birthday.
but you can schedule it later if you can get a week or two vacation leave from your office work.:)

or if she is into crochet, you can buy her a big pattern of the MAP of the Philippine Islands & some nice colored threads for her to get busy on her birthday.
it's a much-much cheaper option than going to BORACAY.:)

PMMA97
08-27-2006, 02:46
Originally posted by lcarreau

How about art?

http://stores.ebay.com/Philippines-Art-Treasures

HTH

MR_BIG
08-27-2006, 03:07
Try to get her something that reminds her of her "home". The Philippines.

if shes filipina, i bet a cellphone would be great, preferably HI-END NOKIA N91s:supergrin:

charlie-xray
08-27-2006, 04:32
If I were in your shoes, I'd take her to the most expensive restaurant/hotel I could think of and tell her that her birthday gift is your 101% attention and time for that moment.

Call me old-school but always work for me, even strengthens our bond.

9MX
08-27-2006, 05:14
Lonnie,

try to recall recent episodes at the mall or when you guys watch tv wherein she'd react half serious and half joking how she would love to have this...or go to this place, etc. women usually hopes men figure that out and get them what they want without them saying. and pinay women are so into that!!!:clown:

pipo
08-27-2006, 05:59
I'd give her all my time for the day.

rex_valerian
08-27-2006, 06:42
If money is no object, it would be very nice to get a string quartet to play instrumental versions of filipino classic songs over a private dinner. Or a piano player. You'll need to find/download/ask people to send over the music sheets for those songs. You might even try singing one of the songs (not an easy job by any stretch...)

Or if you're really rich, hire a filipino singer or band to do the same.

Ogie Alcasid, the Tux, Rico J. Puno and Martin Nievera have sung (on different instances, of course) during relatives' weddings and made the occasions extremely memorable.

Unfortunately that means finding out who is available, when and how much.....

Good luck. Filipinas in general are romantic at heart.

Allegra
08-27-2006, 07:13
My Pinay fiance's birthday is coming up a few days after our wedding. She won't give even the slightest hint about what to get. She is an educated gal in her late 30s. She does not seem to be into jewelry and I already got her a beginner's gun to try to draw her into my hobby. She is into scrap booking, needle point and other girly stuff that vexes me from a gift buying perspective.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are both in Texas.

-Lonnie

a Harley? wohoo!
A trip to Lake Tahoe?
Vegas?
An afternoon at a beauty salon

kcboy
08-28-2006, 07:29
sing her a tagalog love ballad on her bday dinner....i bet she would appreciate that more than anything.....martin nievera songs will do the trick...he has english songs that were composed by filipinos if it's really hard to sing tagalog songs. good luck!!!;)

jerrytrini
08-28-2006, 19:46
Go far away to a "Bed and Breakfast" then take her to a dinner show. Order a dozen roses delivered to your room....It works every time.

kristiansen
08-28-2006, 20:41
good red wine.and shopping money!:beer:

antediluvianist
08-28-2006, 21:12
Cold hard cash - a significant amount of it - works for me. Of course , the cash should be given at a nice meal. In a special card with a romantic message especially written by you.

st. matthew
08-28-2006, 22:09
Do the house chores for a day:supergrin: :)

lcarreau
08-28-2006, 22:16
Some good ideas here. I speak no tagalog at all. Were it not for the fact that she interjects a lot of English into her conversations with pals, I would have no idea what she is talking about. She has very simple tastes and is really a very sweet gal. I am sure she will be a great wige.

-Lonnie

choi_tan2000
08-28-2006, 22:42
oh bro

i think you should learn tagalog, im dure she'l be happy for that. even some few words or a sentence is a good start.

btw

on a gift . try filing her house ? of car with rose petals ? if posible as a surprise. bring her out or let other (friend) for a while while u fill her room with rose petals then a bunch of rose in her bed. i thisk she'l feel how much u love her.

then write a note : mahal na mahal kita ( means i love you so much)

choi

dinggaling
08-30-2006, 01:31
Originally posted by choi_tan2000
oh bro

i think you should learn tagalog, im dure she'l be happy for that. even some few words or a sentence is a good start.

btw

on a gift . try filing her house ? of car with rose petals ? if posible as a surprise. bring her out or let other (friend) for a while while u fill her room with rose petals then a bunch of rose in her bed. i thisk she'l feel how much u love her.

choi

he he he :supergrin:

lcarreau
08-30-2006, 07:30
Originally posted by choi_tan2000
oh bro

btw

choi

I am not sure if I will completely learn the language. She was a college instructor back home and her English is as good as mine. However, I did use that line you gave me with good results. Thanx man!!

-Lonnie

9MX
08-30-2006, 07:38
I am not sure if I will completely learn the language. She was a college instructor back home and her English is as good as mine. However, I did use that line you gave me with good results. Thanx man!!

-Lonnie

way to go dude!:banana: :thumbsup:

fcamd
09-01-2006, 16:28

-Lonnie

Reminds me of the days when I was still in school in the Phil. We had a friend (Filipino by ancestry but born and raised here in the States), who did not speak, let alone understand a single word of Tagalog. He, who desperately wanted to impress the fair Filipinas with his attempt to learn the mother tongue, came to his barkada for some advice and a quick crash course on Tagalog 101. We taught him a few phrases like "maganda ka, mabangu ka, ano ang pangalan mo," etc. Well, one day he came back to us feeling exasperated that he had used up all his new found knowledge of simple Tagalog phrases and needed a 'special phrase' to woo this fair Filipina whom he thought could be the future Mrs. Medical Student. And so we did...

Later that same day he came back looking pitiful at first, but the expression turning into homicidal mania when he saw his friends having a howling good time laughing at his expense. Turns out that the special phrase got him into a heap of trouble with Miss Mahinhin. He recounted how he pried her away from her groupmates to be able to speak to her in private. He asked her out for merienda and as they were sitting alone in the cafeteria slowly, complete with puppy eyes, told her "mahal na mahal kita, hindi ako maka tulog dahil sa iyo, kaya pwede bang maamoy ang pekpek mo."

True story! 20 years of marriage and 4 kids later my friend and Miss Mahinhin are still going strong. :rofl:

kcboy
09-01-2006, 16:50
Originally posted by fcamd
Reminds me of the days when I was still in school in the Phil. We had a friend (Filipino by ancestry but born and raised here in the States), who did not speak, let alone understand a single word of Tagalog. He, who desperately wanted to impress the fair Filipinas with his attempt to learn the mother tongue, came to his barkada for some advice and a quick crash course on Tagalog 101. We taught him a few phrases like "maganda ka, mabangu ka, ano ang pangalan mo," etc. Well, one day he came back to us feeling exasperated that he had used up all his new found knowledge of simple Tagalog phrases and needed a 'special phrase' to woo this fair Filipina whom he thought could be the future Mrs. Medical Student. And so we did...

Later that same day he came back looking pitiful at first, but the expression turning into homicidal mania when he saw his friends having a howling good time laughing at his expense. Turns out that the special phrase got him into a heap of trouble with Miss Mahinhin. He recounted how he pried her away from her groupmates to be able to speak to her in private. He asked her out for merienda and as they were sitting alone in the cafeteria slowly, complete with puppy eyes, told her "mahal na mahal kita, hindi ako maka tulog dahil sa iyo, kaya pwede bang maamoy ang pekpek mo."

True story! 20 years of marriage and 4 kids later my friend and Miss Mahinhin are still going strong. :rofl:

That so F%*$%@G hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughabove:

Allegra
09-01-2006, 18:44
Originally posted by fcamd

hehe an Aussie exchange student who trains w/ us has a Fil-Aussie bf back in Australia
So we taught her romantic pinoy phrases like - wag po sa pwet kuya
Of course she was told knew what it meant , but she wanted to test her bf's sense of humor

* I wonder if I'll get in trouble w/ thi post ahihihi

choi_tan2000
09-03-2006, 23:17
hahaha funny story but so cooool

dont worry lacarea wont teach u something like that hahaha

ok just kiss her

hehehe