transmission issues--help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : transmission issues--help!

painkiller
08-27-2006, 00:19
hi all how are you?i guess i'll get to business.my wifes 92 ford ranger has maybe 90k on the clicker,and about 2 years ago,we were going camping to about 6500 feet,and all the sudden transmission fluid started slowly leaking,then when it got hotter,it lost it all.i waited a bit to let it cool,and drove it back down hill,with no issues since.fast forward about a week ago,and the same issue.i can swear i heard ford had issues like this in the past,but maybe i heard wrong.i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on weather a repair for this is cheap,or am i better off junking the thing?it has never towed anything,and even after buying a jetski,i still dont trust it to tow flatlands.anyone have this issue or hear of this issue?

geminicricket
08-30-2006, 21:50
That's a 14-year old Ford Ranger.

From a strictly monetary point of view, it's not worth waxing.
From a pocketbook perspective, replacing it will either take cash you have or cash you don't have. In either case, are you willing to part with more cash than would be needed to replace the transmission?

If your cash situation is tight, think carefully.

If it helps, I keep a car until it costs more than $2000/year in major repair costs, if I don't get it totalled, and sometimes I keep it after it's totalled. I drove a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim with dented rear body panels, enough to have led the insurance company to "total" the car, but it was still drivable and I could still lock the trunk, so I drove it around for another two years until I rear-ended a pickup truck and made it into a proper accordion.

painkiller
08-30-2006, 23:21
well me totalling the car out will cost me in the long run over 3 years,so it wouldnt be worth it.aside of the tarnny its mechanically sound with minor issues,batteries,starters.if i figured picka part would give me more than $250 i'd junk it.otherwise a private party would dock me due to fender bash on one side in the front.

wolfpack_5150
09-06-2006, 02:36
Look into a tranny flush, and a tranny cooler. Stay away from the "fix in a bottle" crap. It may seem to help for a week, then say bye bye to ur tranny. It seems as though its getting hot and the fluid is expanding and "burping" out of the vent tube. I assume rangers have a vent? Another issue is overfilling, this will cause same burping affects.

You say "transmission fluid started slowly leaking,then when it got hotter,it lost it all.i waited a bit to let it cool,and drove it back down hill,with no issues since"
as in you added proper amount of fluid after it lost it all? Was it really empty or did it seem low?

W Turner
10-04-2006, 08:23
I was in the exact same situation about 4 years ago. My wife is the 2nd owner of a 92 Ranger with the 4 speed auto. At 78K miles, we had to have the tranny rebuilt. I thought the tranny guy was trying to stick it in and break it off when he quoted me the rebuild price of $1700 until I got online and did some research.

It seems that one particular tranny that Ford used in those Rangers is a POS AND expensive to rebuild. I can't remmber the number or code for that particular tranny, but it's a common problem.

My advice would be to move it along to someone else if at all possible.

Bull

painkiller
10-05-2006, 23:35
well its good to know i am not the only one in the boat with this iisue.whats involved with putting a tranny cooler in?as in difficulty rating?what do i need to do?

wolfpack_5150
10-06-2006, 18:21
I suggest looking around here for suggestions on size upgrade and instructions.

ranger forums (http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196)

You may have to join to search the threads but hey, I love forums. Hope this helps ya
~Brock
:wavey:

mc_racer
10-09-2006, 22:07
Don't waste your money on a trans flush. The trans was overheated once. That's one of the worse thing that can happen to an automatic. Try calling a salvage yard. You can sometimes fine a used trans with low miles alot cheaper than you think.
Most will offer a warrenty as well.
Try www.midwayautoparts.com or www.lkq.com