Krav Maga [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Krav Maga

paf040
08-29-2006, 19:37
Is anyone a practitioner of the Israeli martial art Krav Maga? I'm really considering taking this up. My background is Jiu-Jitsu, but I thought this would be a good addition.

Bu11dog
08-29-2006, 20:04
Just my .02 but for what they charge find yourself a dojo that is into good old fashioned blood sweat and tears. Find someone who really used the stuff not read some books and took some seminars.
Enjoy the hell out of it whenyou find it!!!

Skpotamus
08-29-2006, 20:27
real krav maga is great stuff, but real krav maga is very hard to find. Think of Tae Kwon Do, real TKD is pretty serious blood, sweat and tears. Olympic TKD is worthless for real fights though. Krav maga is the same way. You can get a KM certification through a mail order course, so there's a lot of BS schools out there.

Check it out like you should any other school, find a good, realistic school and stick with it regardless of the style.

ltgibson2001
08-29-2006, 21:37
Krav Maga is great for self defense purposes and for staying in shape. Not so great if you like sparring or for sport purposes because that application isnt really there in KM.With your background in Jiu-jitsu you will be way ahead on the ground defense in KM but the two definately compliment each other. I'm an Instructor for the Force Training Division side of KM and I love it. Im also a black belt in another martial art but for me personally I like Krav Maga better. Where are you located?

Islander-11
09-02-2006, 12:07
To parrot an old ad, I liked Krav Maga so much that I bought the franchise!

I really did - the KM instructor that I trained with was moving off of the Island and so I moved the class into my commercial building. Aside from being a good business move,it enabled me to keep training in a system that I count on to save my life on the street, should it come down to that (I'm a cop, btw). I train hard and recently obtained my first level of law enforcement Krav Maga certification. My chief told me that he's so happy with the results of our law enforcement-only classes that the department will send me to obtain the next level of training.

Krav Maga teaches training under stressful conditions. Law enforcement KM training stresses that we train from a position of disadvantage (worst-case scenario). The basic premise of Krav is to defend and attack simultaneously, thus taking the initiative.

I found out about KM when I asked a number of the defensive tactics instructors at my police academy what type of training they used to stay sharp (I turned 40 while at the academy and knew I needed to stay on top of my game). I then learned that my little ol' island had a top-notch instructor teaching KM.

Krav Maga is a butt-kicking workout, too. I am teaching KM to my wife and daughters. I believe in this system completely. I have boxed for about 30 years, but knew that the demands of police work required a better all-around fighting system. For me, that system is Krav Maga.

Please PM me with any questions. I am a believer, for sure!

ANACONDA
09-04-2006, 11:39
ANOTHER ONE YOU OUGHT TO CONSIDER IS HAGANAH. ITS A MIX OF KAPAP, HISARDUT, LOTAR, AND KRAV MAGA. THE INSTRUCTOR/ORIGINATOR IS MIKE KANAREK OUT OF FLORIDA AND USED TO BE IN THE ISREALI SPECIAL FORCES.
CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE: FIGHT2SURVIVE.
YOU MIGHT LIKE IT.

paf040
09-04-2006, 18:17
Thanks. I'll check it out.