shorter boot camp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shorter boot camp

sigs4all!
09-01-2006, 20:21
Hey! A buddy of mine said that the Army shortened their boot camp in order to get recruits through quicker...I googled it and could'nt find anything....just curious, anybody have any info on this?

B+Shooter
09-01-2006, 20:27
I talked with a recruiter who said that they actually added a week. I transferred from the Marines to the Army, so I am not real familiar with army basic. is that 8 weeks to 9 weeks?

sigs4all!
09-01-2006, 20:29
UUUmmm....yeah it was 8 weeks....I'm Navy bound myself and my friend was a Marine...actually he had just finished up his inactive reserve portion...he was happy because now there calling those guys up too.

Mterada
09-02-2006, 02:35
During the summer push it was a week or two shorter for osut. the same with airborne school, it was 2 weeks during summer instead of 3.

Not sure what they do now though, been a few years for me.

Im not certain that the shortened basic would still be going on though. My understanding was that it was from the end of high school school year until around now. He could have talked to someone returning from basic on the hometown recruiter program and they told him that their thing was shorter.

ArmoredGlock
09-02-2006, 09:58
interesting... i'm shipping off monday to ft benning for bct. :wavey:

snoopdawg
09-02-2006, 14:22
Anybody that joins the military, especially since 9/11 shows a lot of courage!

Rally Vincent
09-02-2006, 14:40
Well the Army has been pushing "noobs" through pretty fast and the standards for training have been lowered so much that it is almost a joke.

Anyone can get in now...anyone.
No more Generation X soldiers left to join really...just Generation Y...."Why do I have to do this SGT?" "Why are we running so far?" "Why can't I get CQ on Sunday?" "Where's my promotion?"

Even the Marines are drop'n the buck on training.
But I guess it's the way it has to be.....I mean we would not have much of a military if we had to souly rely on the patriotism of "American" people.

So the government can fix that, by throwing a un-godly lump of money at new recruits who mainly have one goal....College or becoming some ******* pimp in Germany or Italy (mainly support MOS's) and don't give 2 *****'s about the country they are "fighting for".

Good thing we got lower class patriots....you know....the one's who show how much they love America by joining the military and being a patriot for all the right reasons.

Because to some America is still a Vision, and not just another damn country.

sigs4all!
09-02-2006, 15:40
"Anyone can get in now...anyone."

"Because to some America is still a Vision, and not just another damn country."

The second statement is absolutly right. The first statement is by someone who obviously has'nt been down the road of trying to enlist.

snoopdawg
09-02-2006, 17:28
Originally posted by Rally Vincent
Well the Army has been pushing "noobs" through pretty fast and the standards for training have been lowered so much that it is almost a joke.

No more Generation X soldiers left to join really...just Generation Y...."Why do I have to do this SGT?" "Why are we running so far?" "Why can't I get CQ on Sunday?" "Where's my promotion?"

But I guess it's the way it has to be.....I mean we would not have much of a military if we had to souly rely on the patriotism of "American" people.

So the government can fix that, by throwing a un-godly lump of money at new recruits who mainly have one goal....College or becoming some ******* pimp in Germany or Italy (mainly support MOS's) and don't give 2 *****'s about the country they are "fighting for".

Good thing we got lower class patriots....you know....the one's who show how much they love America by joining the military and being a patriot for all the right reasons.

Because to some America is still a Vision, and not just another damn country. With a statement like that I sure hope your speaking from your vast experience as a veteran! As a veteran I'll be the first to point out that the military is'nt perfect and that some people join for the wrong reasons....but, we are at war and anybody that joins today should realize that they will be deployed to the war zone....they're doing 100% more than the non veteran to earn college benefits; I think that you have to give them credit for serving during the current situation!

Rally Vincent
09-02-2006, 19:25
Originally posted by snoopdawg
With a statement like that I sure hope your speaking from your vast experience as a veteran! As a veteran I'll be the first to point out that the military is'nt perfect and that some people join for the wrong reasons....but, we are at war and anybody that joins today should realize that they will be deployed to the war zone....they're doing 100% more than the non veteran to earn college benefits; I think that you have to give them credit for serving during the current situation!

Yeah well I'm glad I speak from my vast experience as a veteran then.

Hal9mm
09-11-2006, 17:39
talking with some of new 11Bravos and charlies coming out of OSUT, it actually sounds like a better program then when I went through. Convoy live fires, optics on their weapons, full battle rattle for all training.

at least thats my take on it.

B+Shooter
09-11-2006, 21:43
Yeah well I'm glad I speak from my vast experience as a veteran then.

I seasoned veteran knows that you keep your in-house problems
IN-HOUSE.
Gen Y troops still die like Gen X troops who still die like the Greatest Gen troops.
Let's not belittle their sacrifices no matter how they were trained. By the way, are you are still humping a pack somewhere?

Rally Vincent
09-12-2006, 17:52
Originally posted by Hal9mm
talking with some of new 11Bravos and charlies coming out of OSUT, it actually sounds like a better program then when I went through. Convoy live fires, optics on their weapons, full battle rattle for all training.

at least thats my take on it.

Yeah well I've seen the Army's new training programs in action like the IRT course they put everyone through in Germany and it's on par with Cuba's convoy training. The habbits soldiers will develop from this terrible.

The live fires are good, but too many corners were cut to make room for this "event" training the military is so fond of right now.

shootingbuff
09-25-2006, 14:26
They (Army) is trying a new program. The Army is attempting to weed out the smart ones and give a stripped down / cut down course (er oops I mean faster training). They are trying it in some AITs now also.

In house issues once to a point where it will blimish the Army and cause more to die needs to be aired to get the support to stop the BS. If not part of the solution then must be part of the problem.

sb

Squaw Man Wolfer
09-25-2006, 15:41
Originally posted by Mterada
During the summer push it was a week or two shorter for osut. the same with airborne school, it was 2 weeks during summer instead of 3.

Not sure what they do now though, been a few years for me.

Im not certain that the shortened basic would still be going on though. My understanding was that it was from the end of high school school year until around now. He could have talked to someone returning from basic on the hometown recruiter program and they told him that their thing was shorter.

I always felt that airborne was one week too long. And that was thirty years ago!

Any man who will jump from a 34 foot tower will jump from an airplane. The closer to the ground, the scarier. Tower week was a waste of time.

Boondocksaint37
09-26-2006, 15:40
Originally posted by Squaw Man Wolfer
I always felt that airborne was one week too long. And that was thirty years ago!

Any man who will jump from a 34 foot tower will jump from an airplane. The closer to the ground, the scarier. Tower week was a waste of time.

Tower week must have been a waste of time because when I went through they bypassed it to save time. I don't recall anyone having problems when it came to jump Friar.

Sam White
10-02-2006, 16:51
Could it be the Warrior Transition Course? It's used for the Blue to Green program where Airmen and Sailors transfer to the Army, or for prior Soldiers or Marines who've been out for some time. It's four weeks long and is a brush up on land nav, brm, pt, etc. It used to be at Ft. Knox, but they're moving it to White Sands. Non-Prior Service people going into the Army still go to the 9 week Basic Combat Training.

10-32
10-05-2006, 01:55

Because to some America is still a Vision, and not just another damn country.

HEY -On behalf of all the "lower class patriots" out there being KILLED IN ACTION to protect your right to disrespect them,

STICK IT UP YOUR ASS.

To call yourself a veteran and talk the way you are about the current troops is SICK.

YOU are the problem, NOT the brave young men and women risking their lives right now.

Call yourself what you will, but a true U.S. Service veteran would NEVER talk about his bretheren that way.

You are a disgrace.

Sorry to GT, I know I'm wrong (against TOS), but it needed to be said.

B+Shooter
10-05-2006, 06:21
Originally posted by B+Shooter
I seasoned veteran knows that you keep your in-house problems
IN-HOUSE.
Gen Y troops still die like Gen X troops who still die like the Greatest Gen troops.
Let's not belittle their sacrifices no matter how they were trained. By the way, are you are still humping a pack somewhere? :thumbsup:

RM
10-05-2006, 06:40
I have seen these supposedly less train people in action and they are performing very well.

I know we always want to look back at the good old days and say how good they were, but in reality they weren't. US troops in the previous conflicts were stuck in doing it the way we always, do stupid things like wasting hours painting rocks, etc. I would agree the discipline today is not as good as it may have been 50 years ago, but the training is much better. Our soldiers and Marines today receive more training than the elite of 50 years ago.

For what is it worth, I am a combat arms officer in the Marines with close to 20 years for the first 5 I was enlisted. I have served 4 combat tours in that times, I have been a doctrine writer and instructor and I have commanded to include command in combat.

shawnt64
10-05-2006, 06:57
i just signed on and it says i am doing 11 weeks of basic at fort jackson starting on november 16. maybe there are two extra weeks because of christmas?

Boondocksaint37
10-05-2006, 07:04
Everyone that went through basic during that time usually got a week or so off.

Sam White
10-05-2006, 14:13
Shawn, when I went to Ft. Jackson for BCT a few years ago I arrived there on 11/20. I was at reception for 10 days- my group actually shipped to our training companies on 12/1. My orders were for 11 weeks of Basic due to the 2 weeks of leave for all of us over Christmas/New Years- "exodus." 9 weeks of Basic+2 weeks "exodus"=11 weeks.

e1harris
10-05-2006, 21:38
I enlisted yesterday.

JAN 31 2006 Report to MEPS for transportation to training location
FEB 09 2006 Begin Basic Training
APR 13 2006 AIT

That equates to one week in reception. And exactly 9 weeks of Basic training.

Sam White
10-06-2006, 01:05
91W in the USAR, right? Hey, good luck! Where are you going to BCT? Have you drilled with your unit at all?

e1harris
10-06-2006, 11:33
Originally posted by pierrebazukhov
91W in the USAR, right? Hey, good luck! Where are you going to BCT? Have you drilled with your unit at all?
Yeah, how did you know? I guess I posted about it about 4 months ago. I guess you got a hell of a memory.

Actually I ended up going in as Active Duty with a 4 year enlistment. I officially have the best recruiter in the world. He was able to assist me in getting into the 91W M6 (practical nurse) program.

So I go to BCT in Ft. Sill for 9 weeks, then AIT for 91W in Ft. Sam Houston (about 17 weeks? or something close to that), upon completion of my AIT I then go to Nursing school for about a year at Ft. Sam Houston.

Thatís 77 weeks of training that I have to look forward too.

EDITED: For spelling

10-32
10-06-2006, 19:48
Originally posted by e1harris
Yeah, how did you know? I guess I posted about it about 4 months ago. I guess you got a hell of a memory.

Actually I ended up going in as Active Duty with a 4 year enlistment. I officially have the best recruiter in the world. He was able to assist me in getting into the 91W M6 (practical nurse) program.

So I go to BCT in Ft. Sill for 9 weeks, then AIT for 91W in Ft. Sam Houston (about 17 weeks? or something close to that), upon completion of my AIT I then go to Nursing school for about a year at Ft. Sam Houston.

Thatís 77 weeks of training that I have to look forward too.

EDITED: For spelling

That's awesome!

So I guess that's the way to get into the Nurse Corps, 'ey? I was just looking at how to get in there without having prior experience. (Aside from my fancy CNA training). I thought maybe I could go straight for RN, but doing LPN first is cool too. Gotta start somewhere!

I looked up 91w, but I don't see the 'm6' designation on the Go Army site.
Maybe I should talk to a recruiter. I have another year before I'll be able to go, but might as well get a jump on it now.

Anyway, Congratulations!!
And Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

battlin bulldog
10-07-2006, 12:16
BCT is nine weeks long. It's been that way for at least five years. The eleven week basic training is because of Christmas Exodus. They'll let you leave basic for fifteen days over Christmas and then you'll continue training when you get back. Still nine weeks, but with a two week break. Airborne school is three weeks. Sometimes they skip training because of high winds, tt can be deadly jumping off the tower at times, but you still stick around for the three weeks.

OSIT training varies back and forth every so often. Soldiers who reclass sometimes get a shorter traning schedule. For example, Cav Scout, 19D, is a five weeks school for reclass while longer for regular OSIT soldiers.

The standards for joining the military really are drastically dropping, and a lot of the times Drill Sergeants are forced to let soldiers slip through the cracks when under normal times they would be kicked out.

(Posted by this members friend. 19D. Four years of service in the Army, and Iraqi combat veteran.)

shootingbuff
10-24-2006, 15:24
Originally posted by RM
I have seen these supposedly less train people in action and they are performing very well.

I know we always want to look back at the good old days and say how good they were, but in reality they weren't. US troops in the previous conflicts were stuck in doing it the way we always, do stupid things like wasting hours painting rocks, etc. I would agree the discipline today is not as good as it may have been 50 years ago, but the training is much better. Our soldiers and Marines today receive more training than the elite of 50 years ago.

For what is it worth, I am a combat arms officer in the Marines with close to 20 years for the first 5 I was enlisted. I have served 4 combat tours in that times, I have been a doctrine writer and instructor and I have commanded to include command in combat.

Will I for one find the this type of politics BS as I do a lot of the so called training that is done and that isn't much. First there should be training and it isn't worth a hoot if it is not quality training. Which from what I see is only a check the block type of thing. Of course every line unit and training unit is different and within every unit the smaller elements reflect their NCOs. Except in places that the NCOs get slammed for doing their job.

sb

Boondocksaint37
10-24-2006, 15:38
I think alot of **** has changed, some may be for the worse, and some for the better. On my forum a guy just graduated OSUT and a bunch of things seemed to be way different from when I went through it. For example, they are wearing body armor almost all the time when they leave the barracks. I didnt know what body armor was until I got to Regiment.

boby
10-24-2006, 15:44
Originally posted by sigs4all!
The second statement is absolutly right. The first statement is by someone who obviously has'nt been down the road of trying to enlist.

+1 The marines wont even take me as an infantryman simply because I need medication for anxiety. I function just fine as long as I have it and if I dont I just get pissed off.

:(

Boondocksaint37
10-24-2006, 15:47
I can see that from both sides though, what happens if you don't have it?

callahan318
10-27-2006, 09:17
Well, here is my take on it.

I went through Infantry School a little over a year ago. During that time we were training 18 hours a day, and some days close to 20. We focused on current tactics and warfighting, and it was good. I went through with B Co. 1/50. Most of our DS were Ranger Qual, or SF. It was rough, but we learned a lot. We were told that they were there not to smoke the **** out of us, but to teach us what we needed to survive on the battlefield. (Yes, we still got the **** smoked out of us, typically at night, and all night long in a lot of cases.) We ran miles upon miles with IBA's, and carried well over the 60 pounds in our rucks for marches. We did not focus on linear ambushes, but close combat, typically house to house in M.O.U.T. city. I can say that the average Joe that came out of the program came out wth FAR better training than in the past, but slightly less disipline. However, this has often been rectified by the units they were assigned to. (A lot of us still keep in touch:) At the end of our training, our DS looked at us as equals and THANKED us for joining during a time of war. Hell, some of them were crying as they pinned us with our blue cords, the bond was tight and the time changed us all. It was an experience I would be proud to do again. Anybody who has NOT done it should get off their high horse about the "FNG", cause we sure as hell are not Gen X, nor Gen Y- we are soldiers.

STORMIN29
10-29-2006, 16:54
My son is supposed to be going through fifteen weeks at Ft. Benning with two weeks off for Christmas, graduating February 2nd. He stated same philosophy, to teach them how to survive and become a well trained soldier, not to pound them. He has fifteen days in the field supposedly engaging simulated enemy with machine guns, hand grenades, and anti tank missiles. That is the part he will like the most. New to all of the military way of life, but I know that the maturity of my son will make him a great addition to the American fighting force.