Two Tabs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Two Tabs

D.S.Brown
09-03-2006, 07:43
Curious,

How many of you acquired a Ranger tab and a Special Forces tab, (NOT AT THE SAME TIME OBVIOUSLY!), and not necessarily in that order?

Secondly who have you have served in both a Ranger battalion(s) and a Special Forces Group(s), and again not necessarily in that order?

For those of you with operational experience in these two types of units, how would you say that training and missions differ between the two?

For those of you who read my "Annoyed With Recruiter" thread, I am not seeking to attempt the above. I'm doing research for a writing project that I am working on and any information would be appreciative.

Thank you so much.

Best,
Dave

FDC
09-03-2006, 09:16
<----Not this guy. I'm too fat and lazy.

You can probably find some decent info at these links:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5051924461 (just stay in this sub forum-the rest of the board is trash)

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/ (check the FAQs and stickeys in each sub forum)

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/ (check the FAQs and stickeys in each sub forum)

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php? (check the FAQs and stickeys in each sub forum)

D.S.Brown
09-05-2006, 16:59
Thank you for the info.

Best,
Dave

JohnNC
09-20-2006, 20:20
You mean like this?

.45greg
09-23-2006, 13:43
you do realize SF wont want to touch you til your 1LT promotable

justinhcannon
10-05-2006, 13:08
Why do people always assume that just because someone had a Ranger Tab that they were a Ranger...and not just Ranger Qualified. I remember a few Tab'd Officers who thought they were hot stuff...until they saw our scrolls. I hope I didn't just start a fight. If I did, then...

Sua Sponte!

Odin's Underlin
10-11-2006, 11:23
Originally posted by justinhcannon
Why do people always assume that just because someone had a Ranger Tab that they were a Ranger...and not just Ranger Qualified. I remember a few Tab'd Officers who thought they were hot stuff...until they saw our scrolls. I hope I didn't just start a fight. If I did, then...

Sua Sponte! If you have a Ranger Tab that's all fine and dandy, if you have been assigned to a Ranger Bn and spent some considerable time there, you were called a Ranger even by not going to Ranger School. A Ranger is someone that is assigned to a Ranger Bn and lives that life in the combat arms. Someone that just went to Ranger school is Ranger qualified. I don't think that you were starting a fight here. There is a big difference in being Ranger qualified and someone that lives in a Ranger unit who are the real Rangers. Now let the fighting begin. :supergrin:

Odin's Underlin
10-11-2006, 11:27
Originally posted by Glock: For Hire
Curious,

How many of you acquired a Ranger tab and a Special Forces tab, (NOT AT THE SAME TIME OBVIOUSLY!), and not necessarily in that order?

Secondly who have you have served in both a Ranger battalion(s) and a Special Forces Group(s), and again not necessarily in that order?

For those of you with operational experience in these two types of units, how would you say that training and missions differ between the two?

For those of you who read my "Annoyed With Recruiter" thread, I am not seeking to attempt the above. I'm doing research for a writing project that I am working on and any information would be appreciative.

Thank you so much.

Best,
Dave Two different types of units, training is different in that they have completely different missions. Combat arms training is still relevent to either type of unit. Everyone still needs to know how to shoot, move and communicate.

Odin's Underlin
10-11-2006, 11:28
Originally posted by .45greg
you do realize SF wont want to touch you til your 1LT promotable What do you mean by this?

.45greg
10-13-2006, 15:23
Originally posted by Odin's Underlin
What do you mean by this?

correct me if I am wrong but glock 4 hire is in OCS so I am just saying SF doesn't have too many uses for 2LT's

Odin's Underlin
10-17-2006, 06:32
My mistake there. I just needed to re-read your post and get your clarification. I have never seen nor heard of any 2lt's in SF. I only spent 7 short years in SF and never had to worry about having a 2lt screw things up. The 0-3's did a pretty good job of it by themselves.:supergrin:

TheBelly
11-07-2006, 02:30
AS a current 2LT, I can very much see the folley of my own ways.

Maybe I have it a little less rough, but that's only because I've spent some time enlisted in the active Army, and I listen to the SFC who's s'posed to keep me in check.

Here's a question: can't the NG SF units have 2LTs in their teams? I know that an LT is an LT is an LT, but they're not a CPT

-thebelly

youngsta614
11-11-2006, 18:32
If you have a Ranger Tab that's all fine and dandy, if you have been assigned to a Ranger Bn and spent some considerable time there, you were called a Ranger even by not going to Ranger School. A Ranger is someone that is assigned to a Ranger Bn and lives that life in the combat arms. Someone that just went to Ranger school is Ranger qualified. I don't think that you were starting a fight here. There is a big difference in being Ranger qualified and someone that lives in a Ranger unit who are the real Rangers. Now let the fighting begin. :supergrin:

just becaues you got the ranger tab dont mean your a ranger!wtf? yeah you support them so yeah you're allow wear the tab. but your no where close to being a ranger buddy.same s***** with the SF too. ill be damn if someone wore a CIB on their chest if they were just merely support me. get it st8, your assign to a ranger bat, you're no ranger. if you want to be a ranger go to RIP.

superbee24
11-15-2006, 06:59
I believe the first post meant to say that you are Really a Ranger if you go to RIP, Ranger school, get your tab AND get assigned to a Ranger Battalion.

There are plenty of people attached to SF and Ranger units that are not either.

I was an E5 with the 2/502 Infantry 101st and we were right up the road from the SF group. One of their cooks ( no offense intended we all gotta eat ) was busted while I was there back in '87 for lying about being SF group member not support.

Either way. If you enlist nowadays REGUARDLESS of your MOS you have my admiration and support. :thumbsup:

jmshady
11-15-2006, 11:52
Originally posted by superbee24
I believe the first post meant to say that you are Really a Ranger if you go to RIP, Ranger school, get your tab AND get assigned to a Ranger Battalion.

There are plenty of people attached to SF and Ranger units that are not either.

I was an E5 with the 2/502 Infantry 101st and we were right up the road from the SF group. One of their cooks ( no offense intended we all gotta eat ) was busted while I was there back in '87 for lying about being SF group member not support.

Either way. If you enlist nowadays REGUARDLESS of your MOS you have my admiration and support. :thumbsup:

It is looking like our hero may be a Poser himself. Said the unit he deployed with was a basic training unit the 2/60th I believe without looking at the MP thread and has not answered back to the questions yet.

superbee24
11-15-2006, 13:28
POSERS...phffttt :upeyes: Gotta luv'em I guess. They keep the world, uhhmmm , Interesting...yeah that's it, Interesting:banana:

nothing
11-15-2006, 13:51
Judging by his poor communication skills and gratuitous use of slang I would say he is too young to join the military. Well, at least I hope that is the reason.

trdvet
11-16-2006, 21:57
Umm wow neat thread. Good comments all together.

Completing RIP or ROP then donning the Black or Tan (dependent on your assignment date) beret and getting the batt. scroll your assigned to pinned on your shoulder at the Ranger Memorial = a Ranger.

Sucking your 1Sgt's dick and getting sent to Ranger School and going back to a "regular" unit = 62 day Ranger.

To: Glock for Hire

Short short short short short answer

SF and Ranger units are wayyyy different.

Rangers pretty much run no less than Plt level size forces
SF run teams i.e. somewhat sqd level

SF: gain some intel, be quiet, train locals
Rangers: destroy your intel, destroy the peace, and destroy locals mmmkay

Odin's Underlin
11-17-2006, 05:09
Originally posted by youngsta614
just becaues you got the ranger tab dont mean your a ranger!wtf? yeah you support them so yeah you're allow wear the tab. but your no where close to being a ranger buddy.same s***** with the SF too. ill be damn if someone wore a CIB on their chest if they were just merely support me. get it st8, your assign to a ranger bat, you're no ranger. if you want to be a ranger go to RIP. Who the hell are you and what the hell are you talking about? Where you ever in a Ranger Bat? Did you ever go to Ranger School? Are you trying to say that I'm not a Ranger or never served in a Ranger Bat?

Horned Toad
11-17-2006, 19:58
Who the hell are you and what the hell are you talking about? Where you ever in a Ranger Bat? Did you ever go to Ranger School? Are you trying to say that I'm not a Ranger or never served in a Ranger Bat?

I think he just told you to go to RIP, get it str8:rofl:

Odin's Underlin
11-18-2006, 06:36
Originally posted by Horned Toad
I think he just told you to go to RIP, get it str8:rofl: I'm sure the little retard thinks he knows all that there is to know about Rangers.:yawn:

Too bad he can't put together a coherent sentence or spell. But most morons cannot.