Lexus or BMW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lexus or BMW

Liquid
09-03-2006, 09:57
I had my heart set on the new 328 coupe. However after being in one I was not to big on the inside nor the back lights. So now I am looking at the Lexus IS. What do you guys think?

James

DriBak
09-03-2006, 13:23
Wife drives an X3 we are BMW fans but Lexus is right on their tails

Tennessee Slim
09-03-2006, 21:51
Test drive them both. If the BMW doesn't speak to you, buy the Lexus.

commander
09-08-2006, 11:57
I looked at the IS 350 before I ordered my 335i. The IS seems smaller inside, especially the rear seating area.

Drive 'em both and then decide. The BMW speaks to me but the IS is a good ride as well.

.223bark
09-08-2006, 14:37
335i all the way... I'm usually a fan of toyota products but were talking king of class when bmw 3 series is mentioned. Besides its on boost :supergrin:

Liquid
09-10-2006, 06:38
well i wil admit i do prefer coupes even thought i am 6'5". one of the concerns about bmws i have is quality/repairs in the latter years. currently i have a 98 accord with about 110k and it has been great. if acura had a coupe i would really look inot it. i am under the impression that the bmw is more of a disposable car when it gets older due to the expensives repairs. one of the only reasons i would lean more to the IS is becuase i plan to keep the car 6plus years. by no means am i talking bad about bmw this is just the impression i have, please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks,,
james

bac1023
09-10-2006, 08:23
I think Toyota makes some of of the most reliable cars money can buy. If its for daily driving, I'd go with the Lexus. Although, I do love German cars.

Liquid
09-10-2006, 09:20
bac i am sure has time goes on it will end up being a daily drive. my plan is to still keep my accord and use that sometimes. however i am sure that will only last about 6-12months to a year if that.

james

bac1023
09-14-2006, 04:46
Originally posted by Liquid
bac i am sure has time goes on it will end up being a daily drive. my plan is to still keep my accord and use that sometimes. however i am sure that will only last about 6-12months to a year if that.

james
In that case, I'd go with the Lexus. Not that Bimmers aren't reliable, but Toyota is tough be beat in that aspect.

DanV1317
10-03-2006, 08:21
just had this same issue with a bmw 325xi or a lexus IS. It came down to the lexus felt like it was cheap inside, and that after 10 year or 15 years, the lexus will be a junky old lexus but the bmw will still have that bmw status.

THe bmw was rock solid and while the suspension was stiff, the car just felt well built. THe lexus felt like if i worked it too hard the thing would break or some of the parts on the interior would. The lexus IS in the 250 also has a terrible motor. The thing is so slow. to get more HP you need to go to the IS300 which is like over $40k. Drive the BMW ahd you'll see how much powerful it really is.

I ended up getting the BMW and i made the right choice. It's better in almost every way except the IS is more of a luxurious car. The BMW performs like a champ.

Toxie
10-03-2006, 23:14
Lexi are for Women, IMHO. The Lexus (like toyota) just seems to be a car brand for people who want a car but aren't car people. BMW is just SO much more an icon brand. . .and there has to be some reason all the car rags love them to death. Test drive both! That will answer your questions far more accurately then any of us can.

DanV1317
10-04-2006, 05:45
toyota/lexus is one of the most reliable and long lasting cars. Some of the most trucks you see with high milege are toyota tacomas. And lexus always gets the best rating for reliablity and having no problems with anything on the cars.

GLORIOUS BOBY
10-04-2006, 19:00
i got bmw 530.i love that car.my next car is gona be bmw again!!!

DanV1317
10-04-2006, 20:52
right now i drive a Mercedes Benz 2005 E320 CDI which is the diesel version. The throtle is kind of odd being it a diesel, but it gets average of 34mpg average between the city and the highway.

I have a rental c280 which is the small mercedes because mine is being fixed. I really like whipping that smaller car around. it has some pep too but it just isn't good over 80 on the highway.

Toxie
10-04-2006, 22:32
toyota/lexus is one of the most reliable and long lasting cars. Some of the most trucks you see with high milege are toyota tacomas. And lexus always gets the best rating for reliablity and having no problems with anything on the cars.

Relaible is fine. That dosen't change that they make BORING cars.
IMHO, BMW makes reliable, FUN cars. Why not get both?

rich52us
10-05-2006, 06:42
I love my Z4. I have driven the 3 series as a loaner while my Z4 was in for service. Very nice ride. Responsive and handles very well.

DanV1317
10-05-2006, 08:48
Originally posted by Toxie
Relaible is fine. That dosen't change that they make BORING cars.
IMHO, BMW makes reliable, FUN cars. Why not get both?

This is true, there really aren't any toyota cars that would be alot of fun to drive, except maybe the supra if you can find one!

Tennessee Slim
10-05-2006, 17:08
There is a very large gap ...nay, an enormous chasm ...between a sporty car and a sports car.

Toyota does, from time to time, build sports cars. The last was Mister Too.

tgtshuter
10-05-2006, 22:00
I see older model BMWs on the road quite often. Can't say the same for Lexus.

There could be several reasons for that. It's a totally subjective observation, but a worthwhile one to me.

DanV1317
10-06-2006, 17:07
i agree. That is the thing. You see a nice old bmw or a nice old mercedez but you never see any nice old lexus's.

Tennessee Slim
10-06-2006, 18:57
Originally posted by tgtshuter
I see older model BMWs on the road quite often. Can't say the same for Lexus.....
Originally posted by DanV1317
i agree. That is the thing. You see a nice old bmw or a nice old mercedez but you never see any nice old lexus's.
Youíre making way too much out of this.

By some accounts, Gottleib Daimler invented the automobile. His company (and Mercedesí predecessor), DMG, was selling cars in 1909. Cars have worn the Blau Mit Weiss badge since 1927. Lexus didnít build a car until 1983. Thatís not even long enough for their first model year to officially be an antique.

People typically buy cars of the BMW/Lexus ilk for one of two reasons: 1) for the status that being seen in them bestows, or 2) for the jollies they get driving them like a wild man. The glitter fades faster than the thrill factor so the former group tends to cycle through their status automobiles more frequently. Plus, the aggressive drivers are more likely to be car guys. They tend to appreciate the car more for what it is than what it can do for their image. Lexus has chi-chi down pat put they havenít yet managed to hit a bullseye with the sports sedan crowd, so the driving enthusiasts are more likely to favor the German marques. And care for them longer before putting them out to pasture.

It also could be you don't recognize them as "old" Lexus because they wear well and don't appear aged.

NGWT
10-06-2006, 22:26
Z06.

Check out these videos. Have some fun :thumbsup:

Lexus? Bimmer? Cheese, whine, Grey Poupon and all that stuff? Just kidding. ;)

But I look at these videos and think about that HotRod Lincoln song.

http://www.motortrend.com/multimedia/mtvideo/112_0606_tuner_sports_car_comparison_videos/

tgtshuter
10-08-2006, 07:48
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
Youíre making way too much out of this.

By some accounts, Gottleib Daimler invented the automobile. His company (and Mercedesí predecessor), DMG, was selling cars in 1909. Cars have worn the Blau Mit Weiss badge since 1927. Lexus didnít build a car until 1983. Thatís not even long enough for their first model year to officially be an antique.

People typically buy cars of the BMW/Lexus ilk for one of two reasons: 1) for the status that being seen in them bestows, or 2) for the jollies they get driving them like a wild man. The glitter fades faster than the thrill factor so the former group tends to cycle through their status automobiles more frequently. Plus, the aggressive drivers are more likely to be car guys. They tend to appreciate the car more for what it is than what it can do for their image. Lexus has chi-chi down pat put they havenít yet managed to hit a bullseye with the sports sedan crowd, so the driving enthusiasts are more likely to favor the German marques. And care for them longer before putting them out to pasture.

It also could be you don't recognize them as "old" Lexus because they wear well and don't appear aged.

Not sure what you meant by "making too much out of this". I was commenting on a casual observation of mine, and did mention it was subjective.
And while I'm not what I would call an "enthusiast", I can recognize older vs. newer models - usually. :)

I think you got it right about Lexus being primarily a luxury market. They are a high end Toyota anyway.
I was looking forward to seeing the new IS350, but disappointed that it was available only with auto trans - no MT. That, and the ugly interior (IMHO) turned me off so that I didn't bother with a test drive.
I've always been partial to European cars anyway, so I got a BMW 325. :thumbsup: It takes corners like a go-kart. :supergrin:
There are plenty of BMW owners looking for the status too - but I ain't one of them!

michael t
10-12-2006, 13:51
Buy German and enjoy driving again. I have a Porsche Boxster I bought for week end fun. My other cars sit I'm in the Porsche . A BMW is on my list for my next family car. Their was a time I belived Japan had the best to offer not any longer. I always loved my Z cars but they lose to German enginering.

commander
10-22-2006, 19:51
It looks great and drives even greater.
I'm so happy I didn't buy the IS.:animlol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/taylorplayer7/New%20335i/100_1851.jpg