Scout Leader's Course [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scout Leader's Course

nothing
09-06-2006, 08:18
Has anyone been to the Scout Leader's Course at Ft. Knox? I scheduled to go in OCT and I haven't been able to find very much information on it. I'm curious about what to expect ie. class room instruction, optempo, FTX, etc.

Falling Crow
09-06-2006, 12:31
I went in 1994 (back when it was called the Scout Platoon Leader's Course). Hands down the best military course I've ever been to. It is very demanding but rewarding. We had no classroom "per se", but were broken up into 5-6 man teams for instruction in a small group setting on post. Lots of emphasis on demolitions (no live demo though!), reporting, scout operations, communications, threat doctrine and equipment capabilities, etc.. The course was 3 weeks long-approx 2 weeks in the small group setting on Fort Knox and a 5 day ball busting FTX (be ready for 20 hour + days on that baby). FTX consisted of humvee mounted recon operations-daytime recon ops "on the economy" throught the Kentucky countryside and night ops on Fort Knox training areas. Leadership positions rotate through different missions-PL, PSG, SL, TC, Senior Scout, etc.. Had several written tests on different subjects (I remember demo was one for sure) as well as a 2-3 hour 1 on 1 practical exercise with an instructor (prepare and issue OPORD, then work through the mission on a large map table). We only had the 1st weekend off and were in the field the 2nd. Its probably changed since I went, but I sent 3 2LTs between 1999 and 2002 and it was basically the same thing. Good Luck!!

nothing
09-06-2006, 15:15
Thanks Sir,

It sounds like a great course and I'm pretty excited about it.