Glock question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock question

Clark's 22
09-06-2006, 14:30
Do the Marines issue the Glock to any of their personnel? If so, what model do they issue?

Marine8541
09-06-2006, 17:45
Defense review reported that the USMC bought 10,000 Glock 37s (.45GAP) for field use and testing last summer. I haven't heard anything since then though.

urbanjunglist
09-21-2006, 00:37
Are you sure about that? I know we have the new Kimbers currently used in theatre, but I never saw any glocks yet. If thats the case who uses them?

Marine8541
09-21-2006, 08:59
Originally posted by urbanjunglist
Are you sure about that? I know we have the new Kimbers currently used in theatre, but I never saw any glocks yet. If thats the case who uses them?

that's what was reported. They were bought for testing for the new joint service pistol but now that the whole project is scrapped I have no idea what they will do with them. here's a link talking about it. I have no clue if they bought them, tested them, or tossed them, it's only what was reported. http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/29-4090.aspx

Kingslayer
09-21-2006, 11:33
Marine MPs assigned to CID have Glocks. I used to live next door to one on Pendleton and he was issued a Glock. Don't ask me what model or caliber.

reconvic
10-09-2006, 10:51
Originally posted by Marine8541
Defense review reported that the USMC bought 10,000 Glock 37s (.45GAP) for field use and testing last summer. I haven't heard anything since then though.

Not yet they haven't it has to go thru SOCOM, they are just in the running.

lethrnk
10-09-2006, 13:10
My son just got back from Ramadi last week. He is a SAW gunner/.50 Cal on the turret of a humvee... He was issued a 9mm Beretta.

joker581
10-12-2006, 04:46
The Defense Review story was completely false.

The USMC never purchased 10,000 Glocks in any caliber. That article was disproven aithin a few hours of it's publication.

Marine8541
10-12-2006, 15:02
This is the thread that never dies. It's all moot now, USSOCOM has recinded it's combat pistol program and all the US forces except those with mission specific requirements will be using the M-9 for many years to come. Huge new contracts have been signed for all things concerning the M-9. Thuis was discussed adnausium in other fourms.

RM
10-27-2006, 22:20
No we don't, I have been assigned to all 3 MEFs in the last 4 years and the only time I saw Marines with Glocks were their own in the states or in in few rare cases in Iraq. And those I saw in Iraq came from pistols bought for issue to Iraqi police. The CID agents in Iraq were carrying M9s, but as they found out when the HQMC team came to do their AAR for OIF 5.7.1 HQMC actually had bought M11s for them that they never got.

Jeff OMara
10-28-2006, 17:52
I was told by my son, who is an operator in MarSoc that Glock's are being tested as one of the guns they will eventually use, but no decison has been made.
As a side note he took his personal G21 with him on his last trip to Iraq while a member of a Recon Team. I have shot with him and he makes it look easy.

RM
10-28-2006, 18:08
I would advise your son to refrain from that, I have know Marines who have gotten crushed for taking their POW with them.

Also I know the G4 from the MarSoc, he is amazed how many things the rumor mill says they have that they don't. This is despite the fact he was responsible to got everything for them and his G4S created the subunit CMRs.

B+Shooter
10-29-2006, 06:20
Hooray!!! More years with Beretta!(Sarcasm)
I had 3 locking blocks break on me in my 4 year enlistment USMC. I was Security Forces, and we did shoot a couple hundred rounds through the M9 every three weeks. Still, 3 locking blocks? The M9 then turns into a government-issue bludgeon!
The M11, however, is a sweet piece. I got issued one when I switched over to an Army SF group, and that was clearly the better choice.

Let's hope that the next time they DOD replaces the sidearm, they evaluate all weapons fairly, and don't write specs that purposefully exclude certain manufacturers (like manual safeties)

reconvic
10-29-2006, 11:35
As we all know it is all politics not what is best for the service , it is the price is right and, how low you can go!:upeyes:

B+Shooter
10-29-2006, 16:01
THATS the politics of it, brother!

GlockX35
11-24-2006, 23:36
The latest issue of SOF has an article saying the Marine Corps and other services are looking at a 5-inch G36 type pistol and another Glock with a manual safety. Kind of hard to believe but I guess anything is possible. Glad I got out before they started issuing those Beretta's. The 1911's we had were beat to death but always went bang when I needed them to. As a SSgt in Beirut thats all I had until I convinced the armorer to give an M16. Pistol came in handy in the old jeep though since you didn't have much room. I still remember going to locked and cocked as we entered certain parts of the city. That was strictly against the ROE.

RM
11-25-2006, 13:03
Originally posted by GlockX35
The latest issue of SOF has an article saying the Marine Corps and other services are looking at a 5-inch G36 type pistol and another Glock with a manual safety. Kind of hard to believe but I guess anything is possible. Glad I got out before they started issuing those Beretta's. The 1911's we had were beat to death but always went bang when I needed them to. As a SSgt in Beirut thats all I had until I convinced the armorer to give an M16. Pistol came in handy in the old jeep though since you didn't have much room. I still remember going to locked and cocked as we entered certain parts of the city. That was strictly against the ROE.

I know a while back some webmagazine said the exact same thing, but I had a friend at who worked in the Infantry Weapons section at SysCom and he said it wasn't happening. Not to mention were are 1) buy carbines to supplement and eventually replaces most pistols 2) bought off on the A1 variant of the M9 with a light rail and a high reliability, sand resistant magazine.