Enlsitment age is up to 42? Is this true? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Enlsitment age is up to 42? Is this true?

TED
09-11-2006, 00:53
Just curious. I had heard it was up to 42 for the Army National Guard, but I have now heard that it is also up to 42 for enlistment?

TED

SMSTRICK
09-11-2006, 01:06
I would like to know that myself.....I am curoius,....Where did you you hear of a change in the enlistment age ? (if it is indeed true ?)

TED
09-11-2006, 04:16
I read it in the thread about the draft.

Dandapani
09-11-2006, 05:32
http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step02_eligibility,,00.html

Army: 39

ETA: <= 42!

From http://www.1800goguard.com/service/service_nonprior.php

Non-Prior Service Enlistment Criteria
The Army National Guard has physical, academic, and legal qualifications that you must pass to join. You must be in good health and have no major physical handicaps. The minimum age to join the National Guard is 17. Persons under age 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian. You must be either currently in high school or have a high school diploma or GED. You must also obtain a minimum qualifying score on the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery exam (ASVAB). Soon after you contact a recruiter, he or she will administer this test to see if you are qualified. Your ASVAB score will also determine which job, known as a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), you are qualified for. Your recruiter will provide you with more exact information and make recommendations regarding your qualification status.

You are eligible to join the Army National Guard if you meet the following criteria*:

* High school graduates or GED holders
* High school juniors/seniors as long as they meet the age requirement
* Between the ages of 17 and 42
* Meet citizenship requirements†
* To join the Army National Guard, you must have a high school diploma or GED. If you do not meet this requirement, we can help; just visit the National Guard Youth Challenge Program's web site.

shawnt64
10-03-2006, 20:57
yep and i just squeaked in at 41 with the army :thumbsup:

active as a 15 tango

now what do i do with all this crap i have accumilated
over last 40 years :sad:

Sapperstang
10-04-2006, 18:19
I don't think I could do it the same way now as I did back then. Granted I am only 29 right now but not sure I could do the physical stuff like I did when I was in. Couldn't imagine being in my forties.

A_Swede_17_1911
10-04-2006, 18:37
Hey the enlistment age is not before the 42nd birthday. This is for Active Duty Army as well. So you must ship to basic training before the 42nd birthday. As well you have to take the over 40 physical, which involves the whole finger thing, and bloodwork that you have to wait to get back before you can enlist.

Im and active duty recruiter so if you have any questions, just ask me and will answer them for you.

So yes anyone who meets the moral, physical, and education requirements can enlist in the army, granted they are between the age of 17-41.

Jammer Six
10-04-2006, 19:03
Just as a point, isn't this for the FIRST enlistment?

Bren
10-04-2006, 19:15
Originally posted by A_Swede_17_1911
Hey the enlistment age is not before the 42nd birthday. This is for Active Duty Army as well. So you must ship to basic training before the 42nd birthday. As well you have to take the over 40 physical, which involves the whole finger thing, and bloodwork that you have to wait to get back before you can enlist.

Im and active duty recruiter so if you have any questions, just ask me and will answer them for you.

I just finished my physical and passed everything except the over-40 blood test. Are the blood glucose results waiverable? I've never shown high blood sugar in my life, but they say I did on this test.

To complicate it, they drew some blood after I had eaten, for a drug screen, then blood a few days later after not eating for the glucose (which would show high glucose if I had eaten recently). They said 4-5 business days for results, but the results came the next business day after the glucose/lipid blood was drawn, but 4 days after the after-eating drug screen blood was drawn. Makes me wonder.

shawnt64
10-05-2006, 07:05
i just did that stuff at meps for the 40 over guys. they were mainly interested in risk of heart attack from the levels of triglyceride, hdl, ldl, and cholestrol. i never even found out what my glucose was

A_Swede_17_1911
10-06-2006, 14:42
Far as the gluecose level thing im to entirely familar with It , I know you need to fast 12 hours prior, etc. Far as with waivers all medical waivers like that should be handled though meps, but I dont know for sure. Has anyone told you that you were unqualified yet? Or are you just still waiting for resutlts? If you just waiting on results, I would contact the recruiter to remind them that you are still interested, and see if they can work anything on getting those results, usally they can only as, but sometimes that will expedite that just a little bit.

Bren
10-06-2006, 15:26
Originally posted by A_Swede_17_1911
Far as the gluecose level thing im to entirely familar with It , I know you need to fast 12 hours prior, etc. Far as with waivers all medical waivers like that should be handled though meps, but I dont know for sure. Has anyone told you that you were unqualified yet? Or are you just still waiting for resutlts? If you just waiting on results, I would contact the recruiter to remind them that you are still interested, and see if they can work anything on getting those results, usally they can only as, but sometimes that will expedite that just a little bit.
I checked with the recruiter and it appears to be waiverable, but the MEPS is having the recruiter send them something through the computer system so they can start processing a waiver. He apparently didn't have me "projected" correctly and they treated me as a walk-in and it is holding up the waiver process. I am also sure enough that they messed up the test that I'm getting a civilian doctor to do it next week so I can show a "changed condition" in case I need to (I think I only need to do that if the initial waiver request is denied).

The MEPS insisted to the recruiter that they used the right blood sample, but said they couldn't understand how they got results back 1 working day after it was taken, instead of 4-5 as usual (coincidentally, exactly the length of time after the first blood was taken which would have shown exactly these results). My best guess is that somebody noticed they had only gotten the under-40 blood samples, but I was over-40, so they decided to fix the error by doing the over-40 test on the sample they had.

kevin101
10-06-2006, 15:46
Being a diabetic is totally out then I gather.

Bren
10-06-2006, 19:44
Originally posted by kevin101
Being a diabetic is totally out then I gather.
Yes, I have had enough other physicals and blood tests to know that.

sandy4570
10-07-2006, 00:09
I have heard that joining the military will automatically eliminate all the student loan ( I have about 30K plus on the loan right now ) , Is that true? Does the term of enlistment still 4 years active and 4 years inactive reserv? How many push up , sit up and run for 36 years old to pass the PT test? What level of blood pressure require to pass the physical and how about the near sight (wearing corrective lense) issue? :banana:

Sapperstang
10-07-2006, 03:56
Originally posted by sandy4570
I have heard that joining the military will automatically eliminate all the student loan ( I have about 30K plus on the loan right now ) , Is that true? Does the term of enlistment still 4 years active and 4 years inactive reserv? How many push up , sit up and run for 36 years old to pass the PT test? What level of blood pressure require to pass the physical and how about the near sight (wearing corrective lense) issue? :banana:

Its eigtht years total including inactive. So if your enlistment is three years you are in the IRR for five. Your enlistment is six years you will be part of the IRR for two and so on. Military.com may have a PT chart you can check for your age group.

sandy4570
10-07-2006, 22:37
Sapperstang
I could not find the PT chart from the military.com but they have some a few good and useful physical training tips there.I need to seriously get back in shape before even thinking about enlist in the army.:banana: :banana:

shawnt64
10-08-2006, 10:03
to enlist your recruiter has to verify that you can do 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, and run an 8.30 mile