OCS questions.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OCS questions....

TED
09-11-2006, 00:54
First, what is the age cut off for OCS, second is it waivable, but most importantly does OCS use MEPS as its medical screening point or do they use something else?

TED

Sam White
09-11-2006, 14:29
The age cutoff for Army NG OCS is 35, but you can get a National Guard Bureau age waiver up to 40.

MEPS is the entry point for ALL entrance physicals to the military (for non-prior service). This includes enlistment, appointment as a warrant officer, or commissioned officer. It also includes the "contracted" phase of ROTC. Keep in mind if you want to go to Army NG OCS, you will have to enlist, graduate basic, and then go to OCS (instead of AIT like most other enlistees).

TED, I know you were interested in the Army a while back. You needed some kind of medical waiver IIRC. The Army National Guard is your best bet for getting a waiver for most disqualifications to get in the military for the first time.

If you've been to MEPS and been dq'd already, you'll need to find a recruiter you think will go to bat for you. Your recruiter will have to work a little magic to even get you to MEPS once they've dq'd you, but it can be done. I know, because I've been through it. It will take some time (a few weeks to over a year) and some effort on your part to get the waiver.

Bottom line: if you want to do this, go for it. Don't let MEPS scare you away. There are plenty of people who've been dq'd before who have gone on to have successful military careers. Things like medical waivers and age waivers are fairly common in the Army NG or Army Reserve and not a big deal as long as you can convince the right people you want it and have potential.

Edited to add: I just looked up your old thread. First, call around and be up front with the recruiters you call. Each NG unit has its own recruiter. If one doesn't want to talk, move on down the line. Once you find one that will talk to you, you're going to have to get lots of new medical evidence to demonstrate that your heath is fine. You'll need to do this in order to go to MEPS again, then you may or may not need more medical evidence after that. Then, you will have to wait on the waiver. It can be done but requires persistence on your part. Also keep in mind your chances are best with a unit that really needs bodies- you'll have fewer chances as to MOS in your situation. But once you're in, your waiver is good indefinitely and you'll be able to transfer or reclass if you want.

Hal9mm
09-11-2006, 17:34
I was prior service and went thru meps but when I joined ROTC they put me through DOGMERB, it was much better than going through meps that just downright sucked.

TED
09-11-2006, 18:26
When I was in Air FOrce ROTC I also was specifically medically CLEARED by them or the air force rotc version thereof I thought it sounde more like DODMERV but yeah same thing. I also participated in regular mandatroy PT and passed the PFT, Physical Fitness Test. This only makes it all the more frustrating for me.

TED