Any fighter pilots in the house? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any fighter pilots in the house?

Grayson
09-12-2006, 21:00
First of all, "flyboy" or not I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone in the Services for everything you do! :patriot:

But, fighter pilots....sorry, those guys are just COOL! :supergrin: I don't know what it is, but I just got to thinking recently about how AWESOME it would be to be one!

Maybe it's, you know, being able to FLY! Sure, there's "civvie" flight, but just you and your jet zooming along at Mach 2? THAT kind of ride you can't get just anywhere!

Maybe it's the call signs? ;) You know what I would give to be able to answer to "Ghostkiller?" :supergrin:

Of course, it may have a lot to do with wanting something you can't have. My understanding is, even if I had corrective surgery on my eyes - having bad vision at ALL is an automatic disqualifier, right? :sad:

I guess if I had to pick one question to ask, it would be...how long does it take to LEARN all the "stuff" in the cockpit??? Heck, I don't even know what all the buttons on the radio in my CAR do! A man I used to work for took me up in his single-engine plane once, and even that thing had countless dials, guages, buttons, levers....

I should have asked him more about the controls then, I guess...I was just too busy alternating thoughts of "FLIPPIIN' SWEEEET!" and "I'm gonna DIE!" :shocked:

Hmm....more questions:

-If I couldn't be a figher pilot...are there any other "flippin' SWEET" options in the AF? I figure if I did ever enlist, maybe eventually I could at least get a ride in a 2-crew jet!

-I've read in stories of the Iraq war that pilots get the best living conditions since they need to be focused. True...or are they making it sound like you have a "softer" life than you really do? :tongueout:

TKM
09-12-2006, 22:01
You should remember that you don't get to pick your own call-sign. It just happens.

Ghostkiller, not likely.

Bug****er, it could happen.

I've heard worse. :)

Grayson
09-13-2006, 07:29
Reminds me of "The Critic" when Jay quits and becomes a truck driver.

They give him the call sign "Lardbutt!"

Though later when he proves himself, they upgrade him to "HARDbutt!" :supergrin:

Tiloke
09-13-2006, 07:42
I am not a pilot myself, but I started a thread on another forum where you can talk to the most accomplished pilot of our time , John Lear

Click here to see it (http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread215767/pg1)

The topics tend to revolve around his beliefs in UFO and aliens but he is answering EVERY question psed to him(more than 400 so far)

Wikipedia entry for John Lear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lear)

MrMurphy
09-13-2006, 08:07
I see a lot of fighter pilots.

Today I was posted up in the control tower on overwatch and basically spent all day getting buzzed by F16s, the random KC-135 tanker, and a 737 (the rotator, bringing new people in).

They really do have to learn a LOT of stuff. And yes, they don't pick their call sign, and yes, they certainly get some weird ones.

meeko
09-13-2006, 17:54
I like to remind the cocky ones that think they are all that and a bag of chips that they did teach monkeys to fly back in the space program. Did they ever teach monkeys to do your job. Just a joke so if you are a pilot out there with a good attitude disregard that was not meant for you!

Grayson
09-16-2006, 18:07
Originally posted by TKM
You should remember that you don't get to pick your own call-sign. It just happens.

Ghostkiller, not likely.

Bug****er, it could happen.

I've heard worse. :)

I'm about afraid to know the answer to this but here goes! ;)

Worse than "Ghostkiller," or worse than "Bug****er?" :shocked:

Dweaver5
09-21-2006, 12:43
Oh yeah there are worse than the Bug one....usually the first time you do something stupid or embarrassing is when a call sign is borns.

They'll use anything, I knew one named after a cartoon character: Callsign was "Milhouse" from the Simpsons.

themouth1
10-04-2006, 14:26
Until you get promoted to squadron CC and then you get something cool again...

MrMurphy
10-04-2006, 20:03
Not necessarily. :)

DMF
10-04-2006, 21:55
Originally posted by WNC_Ghostbuster
My understanding is, even if I had corrective surgery on my eyes - having bad vision at ALL is an automatic disqualifier, right?That's not entirely correct.

1st, the Air Force no longer requires 20/20 vision to get into pilot training. When I got into pilot training it was 20/20 near vision, and 20/40 distant vision. I think they have relaxed the standards some more, but haven't checked to be sure. You must still have normal color vision and normal depth perception.

2nd, for the most part corrective eye surgery is disqualifying, UNLESS you are already on active duty with the Air Force, have the procedure approved by the Air Force doctors, and successfully pass a post recovery vision test. However, there is HUGE waiting list for those that want the surgery. You would be taking a huge risk to join the Air Force just hoping you could get approved for the surgery, have it done, and pass the post recovery exam, all in time to apply for pilot training before you passed the age limit. ...are there any other "flippin' SWEET" options in the AF?It all depends on what you think is "sweet." Combat Control, Pararescue, TACP, OSI, and others, are thought to be pretty "sweet" by many people, but they are all very different jobs from flying jets so you may or may not find them all that appealing.

Also, don't bank on getting a ride in a 2 seat jet. It's very rare that someone gets an "incentive ride" as they are called.

C150J
10-04-2006, 23:34
Originally posted by DMF
When I got into pilot training...

Mind me asking what made you leave aviation for the 1811 job description?

J.

swiftaudi
10-06-2006, 20:48
Iv been wanting to join the Air Force since late high school. Now I am in collage and everyone keeps telling me to wait until I graduate to join the Air Force. I really would love to be a fighter pilot but I am afraid the longer I wait the hard its going to be for me to become one. What are the requirements and how hard is it to become a fighter pilot? Also what is the age limit?

themouth1
10-06-2006, 21:30
I am an active duty Air Force recruiter. You need to contact the OTS recruiter for your college. If you aren't sure how, pm me and I will get you set up. He can give you the information you need and you can make an informed decision from there. I am not sure of your field of study but, that is VERY important. Getting in the Air Force as an officer is HIGHLY competitive. A good portion of our active enlisted club are very educated and we get a lot of our non-tech officers from there.

DMF
10-06-2006, 22:33
Originally posted by C150J
Mind me asking what made you leave aviation for the 1811 job description? Well, first I washed out of pilot training, and ended up a navigator. I wanted to fly low and fast and blow things up as a pilot, so that started me thinking about getting out of flying. Second, military flying is not nearly as fun as one might imagine. After a few years I realized it wasn't all it's cracked up to be, and that even if I had become a pilot I probably would have wanted to do something else as a profession after a few years. Many pilots I know also left for other careers including LE. A few months ago a friend asked me to talk with her fiance, an F-16 pilot, who wanted to leave flying to go into LE.

It's a cool job, and some people love it and wouldn't rather do anything else. Others, like myself enjoy flying immensely, but are driven by other things. Some of my friends who don't fly for a living spend a huge amount of their money on private aviation, but even the fun of that is not enough to keep me spending all those hours and all that money on flying. Maybe some day when I retire I'll get my own glider, which is probably the most fun I've ever had in an airplane, but for now other hobbies interest me more, and even if I had been successful at pilot training I probably would have ended up leaving for a different career.

I guess it boils down to, it was fun and interesting for a while, but it wasn't enough to hold my interest until retirement. A good friend of mine who recently left active duty as a pilot for an 1811 job felt the same way. He is a little more excited about flying than I am and will probably spend more time/money private aviation than I do, but he just couldn't stay motivated to it as a full time job until retirement.

As far as LE specifically I have always had an interest in it, and if I hadn't gotten an AFROTC scholarship for college, I would have gone into LE instead of the military. When I decided I no longer wanted to fly for a living, LE was naturally my first choice.

DMF
10-06-2006, 22:37
Originally posted by swiftaudi
Iv been wanting to join the Air Force since late high school. Now I am in collage and everyone keeps telling me to wait until I graduate to join the Air Force. http://www.afrotc.com/ might be a great option for you.

Do NOT enlist if you want to be a pilot. The most direct route to being an officer (and you must be an officer to be a pilot) and a pilot is either AFROTC or USAFA. Getting into the Air Force via OTS, whether as an enlisted person or non prior, is extremely difficult because the Air Force uses AFROTC and USAFA as it's main source of officers, and therefore there are very few slots available for OTS. Since you're already in college AFROTC could be a great way to get your commission.

C150J
10-07-2006, 23:28
Originally posted by DMF
Well, first I washed out of pilot training, and ended up a navigator. I wanted to fly low and fast and blow things up as a pilot, so that started me thinking about getting out of flying. Second, military flying is not nearly as fun as one might imagine. After a few years I realized it wasn't all it's cracked up to be, and that even if I had become a pilot I probably would have wanted to do something else as a profession after a few years. Many pilots I know also left for other careers including LE. A few months ago a friend asked me to talk with her fiance, an F-16 pilot, who wanted to leave flying to go into LE.

It's a cool job, and some people love it and wouldn't rather do anything else. Others, like myself enjoy flying immensely, but are driven by other things. Some of my friends who don't fly for a living spend a huge amount of their money on private aviation, but even the fun of that is not enough to keep me spending all those hours and all that money on flying. Maybe some day when I retire I'll get my own glider, which is probably the most fun I've ever had in an airplane, but for now other hobbies interest me more, and even if I had been successful at pilot training I probably would have ended up leaving for a different career.

I guess it boils down to, it was fun and interesting for a while, but it wasn't enough to hold my interest until retirement. A good friend of mine who recently left active duty as a pilot for an 1811 job felt the same way. He is a little more excited about flying than I am and will probably spend more time/money private aviation than I do, but he just couldn't stay motivated to it as a full time job until retirement.

As far as LE specifically I have always had an interest in it, and if I hadn't gotten an AFROTC scholarship for college, I would have gone into LE instead of the military. When I decided I no longer wanted to fly for a living, LE was naturally my first choice.

Appreciate the response - I can understand. If you recall, I initially got into law enforcement but was offered a great flying gig that will enable me to fly for the G later as a 2181 or even an 1811. I know a lot of people would pull the "WTF, over?" concerning your friends' decisions, but I can definitely see how flying could get mundane.

J.

DMF
10-09-2006, 15:42
Originally posted by C150J
Appreciate the response - I can understand. If you recall, I initially got into law enforcement but was offered a great flying gig that will enable me to fly for the G later as a 2181 or even an 1811. I know a lot of people would pull the "WTF, over?" concerning your friends' decisions, but I can definitely see how flying could get mundane. Yes, I do recall. I wish you much success, and safety, in your current flying career, and any flying and/or LE you do in the future.

Great Googly Moogly
09-09-2010, 03:46
I'd rather jump out of good aircraft to save those that bail from out of faulty aircraft. I joined to save the lives of airman. If I had to take a few lives to complete the mission - I did so. I did my job and was very good at it.