Chevy master cylinder ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chevy master cylinder ?

p7k3
09-13-2006, 05:01
Hi,
Anyone out ther know if a 1955 Chevy master cylinder is the same as one used on a 62 Vette?

Thanks

Diesel Scout
09-13-2006, 13:21
Originally posted by p7k3
Hi,
Anyone out ther know if a 1955 Chevy master cylinder is the same as one used on a 62 Vette?

Thanks

I am assuming you mean a 1955 Chevy car and not a pickup or some sort. According to the numbers I have infront of me no, the 62-53 Vette all used the same master, but the part number isn't shared by any other Chevy models. For the "Early Model Chevrolet" 1958-55 is E32000, that is a CarQuest number, however you really should have a problem finding one at any good autoparts store, like Napa or CarQuest. Make sure the counter clown breaks out a book if he can't find it in the computer.

p7k3
09-13-2006, 16:09
Thanks for the info, yes I was referring to a 55 car. I have the part # for the Delco original in my parts book so if the parts guy is clueless { probable} I hopefully can have him cross over the number.
Now to find one that's not from a third world country, wish me luck.

Rick

Diesel Scout
09-13-2006, 16:24
Thanks for the info, yes I was referring to a 55 car. I have the part # for the Delco original in my parts book so if the parts guy is clueless { probable} I hopefully can have him cross over the number.
Now to find one that's not from a third world country, wish me luck.

Rick

Good luck! I work with International Trucks, many of our parts are impossible to find, or just expensive. If you're looking for a quality product made in the US, consider going with Wilwood, that is of course if you not trying to keep it stock. Many of the flanges Wilwood uses bolt right up to stock locations and there products are much higher quality then many things you will find from parts stores. Just a thought.

p7k3
09-13-2006, 19:27
Originally posted by Diesel Scout
Good luck! I work with International Trucks, many of our parts are impossible to find, or just expensive. If you're looking for a quality product made in the US, consider going with Wilwood, that is of course if you not trying to keep it stock. Many of the flanges Wilwood uses bolt right up to stock locations and there products are much higher quality then many things you will find from parts stores. Just a thought.

Thanks for the heads up, I don't need to go with an original, just want one I don't have to monkey with & that stops the car.
By the way I was a parts man years ago & used to cringe when IHC parts where needed, only thing harder to come up with was Divco stuff.

Diesel Scout
09-14-2006, 11:33
Thanks for the heads up, I don't need to go with an original, just want one I don't have to monkey with & that stops the car.
By the way I was a parts man years ago & used to cringe when IHC parts where needed, only thing harder to come up with was Divco stuff.

I work for a small company that prints IHC manuals, but my Dad and I restore the trucks for fun. We've got two parts houses near us that know us as THE IH guys, they work hard to find us the really obscure parts and we reward them with our buisness and reference for other IH fanatics. Honestly parts for the majority of the truck aren't that hard to find. What kills you are brake and axle parts specific to the IH trucks, that's why I happen to have a few brake part catalogs around. Sometimes you just have to know what to ask for. If I need a headlight switch, I ask for one out of a 69 Camaro, they have that one, but they don't have the one for a Scout or Travelall. What's really funny is they are the exactly the same thing. The majority of the stuff is Dana/Spice, Borg Warner, Delco electronics and mix of a few Chrysler pieces. It's all about playing the game and having exception parts guys!

p7k3
09-14-2006, 12:03
Originally posted by Diesel Scout
I work for a small company that prints IHC manuals, but my Dad and I restore the trucks for fun. We've got two parts houses near us that know us as THE IH guys, they work hard to find us the really obscure parts and we reward them with our buisness and reference for other IH fanatics. Honestly parts for the majority of the truck aren't that hard to find. What kills you are brake and axle parts specific to the IH trucks, that's why I happen to have a few brake part catalogs around. Sometimes you just have to know what to ask for. If I need a headlight switch, I ask for one out of a 69 Camaro, they have that one, but they don't have the one for a Scout or Travelall. What's really funny is they are the exactly the same thing. The majority of the stuff is Dana/Spice, Borg Warner, Delco electronics and mix of a few Chrysler pieces. It's all about playing the game and having exception parts guys!

How right you are, I have been a Vette guy since 1969, I remember going to the dealer in search of various part & being told they were NLA . I invested in a GM Corvette parts manual in 1971 & from then on I would go to the dealer with the part # only & gee everything I ever needed was available.
The only reason I mentioned cringing was the vast array of models you had to sift thru for exhaust & other parts. Maybe a lot of models used the same parts but we weren't an IHC dealer just a good old fashioned parts house. Remember them?
No stereo's, floor mats or deodorizers. Just hard parts.