Ft Polk & Jrtc [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ft Polk & Jrtc

jmg1170
09-14-2006, 10:09
Anyone stationed at Ft Polk ? Never met a person other then myself that liked it. What do you say ?

{TEX}Hawaii 5-0
09-14-2006, 18:01
I love training there but never would want to be stationed near Looserville. How's the Pegasus?

DriBak
09-15-2006, 17:51
Did all my stateside time at Benning, I never heard anything good about Polk

skay
09-15-2006, 20:35
I went through a JRTC rotation there in 2001 I think. Outstanding training experience. But I do not know much about the area.

FDC
09-16-2006, 18:39
Originally posted by skay
I went through a JRTC rotation there in 2001 I think. Outstanding training experience. But I do not know much about the area.

I've only done 3 rotations here as Bluefor(including jumping into the 1st Polk rotation in August 93). Was always a VERY good, if painful, training experience.

Now I'm here as an OC:upeyes: . Ft Polk is what you make of it. The area sucks, but the gun laws are OK, the hunting/fishing is good. Leesville is one of the most corrupt/crooked towns in the state(which is saying something). The nearest real shopping is 45 minutes away. The weather is horrible. I'd rather do an Iraq 130 degree summer again, than do this humid crap here.

black rob
09-17-2006, 10:55
@ Polk as Opfor with the 509th from June 1995 - June 1997. Was with the MEDEVAC @ Polk from June 1997 - November 1998. Only Active duty station...not all bad. My dad was there in the the hot summer months of 1969, so we kinda value Polk.

Of course I would prefer not to go back there as permenant party...ever!!!

Rob

coolhandblack
09-17-2006, 14:37
I did one rotation there i think in 2000. Middle of summer, humid as hell....basically wanted to kill myself it sucked so bad. We were attached to the 82nd and our battalion commander and CSM came down to "see us." They came out to the field for about 5 minutes ( long enough to tell us to get back in uniform) they were in a airconditioned suv. So i am guessing that they just came down to get out of ft riley for a little bit.

Shawn

kawalerzysta
09-17-2006, 21:45
I was stationed there from 1996 to 2001 with A trp, 1/2 ACR aka "All Criminal Regiment". Did plenty of OPFOR rotation, and have to say that those were fun.

glocka
09-18-2006, 09:02
:wavey: Did my basic there,in the 70's.And it was hot as hates.Leesville was the only place I found where the prostitutes help you out of the car by grabbing you by the crank.I guess I enjoyed my training there,which set me up for heaven at Fort Sam Houston,Texas. :uglylol:

AKJD
09-18-2006, 23:48
I was stationed there for 3 years as a JRTC OC in the Live Fire Division 95-97. One of the most professionally rewarding jobs I had in the Army. The work the OC's at JRTC do has an impact on the whole Light Infantry community as do the OC's from the other branches. I lived on post and it was the best military housing I ever had. Good hunting, on post shooting range was pretty user friendly. It was way to hot there in the summer. Leesville sucks in every way possible. Couldn't wait to get our kids out of the schools. The on post aspects of living there were great, its the off post part of it that makes the Ft Polk experience less than desirable. Every place we were stationed, we usually took vacations there and tried to see as much of the state as we could, while at Ft Polk we left the state as much as we could. I'm sure there are other parts of the state that are great, but Leesville really leaves a bad impression of the state.

Boondocksaint37
10-03-2006, 06:36
I always dreaded going down to Polk...lol. Last time didn't help...my entire squad got food poisoning :supergrin:

Justice23
10-08-2006, 08:41
Wow...I feel old. I was Bco 1/509 from the Ft.Chaffee/LRAFB days. I was there from 91-93. I did go to Polk for about a month in the spring of 93 for a range clearing detail (Peason ridge if I recall correctly). I did not like Polk.

I heard that the G-men kicked ass sandbox...I am proud to be a former 509er.

All the Way!!!
Geronimo!!!

Horned Toad
10-09-2006, 22:23
I was there in I think the winter of 93 for a rotation, record rainfall, something like 18 inches in 24 hours, I remember ice freezing on my boots at 9 am in the morning, it was pretty cold

FDC
10-10-2006, 08:56
Originally posted by Justice23
Wow...I feel old. I was Bco 1/509 from the Ft.Chaffee/LRAFB days. I was there from 91-93. I did go to Polk for about a month in the spring of 93 for a range clearing detail (Peason ridge if I recall correctly). I did not like Polk.

I heard that the G-men kicked ass sandbox...I am proud to be a former 509er.

All the Way!!!
Geronimo!!!

Man, I did an EDRE and jumped onto Rattlesnake DZ in Chaffee. I'm sooooo glad I missed that DZ and hit a tree. Otherwise, I'd still be stuck in those neck deep thorn bushes on the DZ. Wasn't that impressed with the rest of Chaffee or Ft Smith's airport(the tarmac made a crappy pillow was we got stuck there without ANY gear).

Ft Polk ain't much better. The G-men are good folks. The kids in that unit tend to learn quite a bit compared to a normal unit. They get a close up look at what mistakes units make, and what things they do bad. It's not where I'd put a cherry private, but it would be a decent place for a young E-4 to spend a year or 2. By the way Peason ridge is where they do the live fire portion here. It's about a 30 minute drive from North Fort Polk. Not much to see or do out there either.

RENEA
10-14-2006, 04:17
Originally posted by jmg1170
Anyone stationed at Ft Polk ? Never met a person other then myself that liked it. What do you say ?

I went to JRTC there in July - August 1998. It was a good training experience but boy was it HOT and HUMID, especially humping a rucksack, flak vest and other gear around. did I mention how hot it was? :supergrin:

My friend at work was stationed there as an MP and he loved it. He's an avid fisherman and hunter and told me the opportunities there were fantastic.