Refurb'd Minolta 7D? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Refurb'd Minolta 7D?

srfl
09-17-2006, 09:17
Does anyone here have experience with refurbished Minolta products? I saw online that a place is selling refurbished 7D's for $475. It comes with most if not all of the items a new 7D would come with (chargers, caps, instructions, etc.)

I have a refurbished Nikon F100 that I purchased from Cameta Camera in NY via eBay and it looks new to me and works fine, so I know some companies' refurbs are gone over with a fine tooth comb.

I'm debating going this route into the digital camera world since I'm hoping that the 7D refurb has the back focus problem that some 7D's have fixed as part of its refurbishing process.

Fred
09-17-2006, 14:49
I don't have any experience with refurbs, but do use a 7D and really like it. It's great having most of the controls on the outside rather than having to dig through a menu. That certainly is a good price - I paid close to $900 for my 7D.

srfl
09-17-2006, 21:52
I'm going to call the vendor tomorrow and ask about the camera.

It's a shame KM died, as I was a faithful Minolta user. My AF 35mm equipment includes a Dynax 7, 9xi, and 9000 and several Minolta and third-party fast lenses and three manual-focus Minoltas with nearly a dozen lenses (and one older rangefinder).

I've debated going over to a Nikon DSLR since I also have several good AF and manual-focus Nikkor and third-party lenses; plus I just purchased that refurb'd F-100....but the intuitiveness of the Minolta line (and now Sony DSLR) just keeps me from going full steam to Nikon.

Fred
09-18-2006, 09:13
my first Minolta was an SRT-102, followed by a 7000, 700si, and 7 film camera. Like you I always appreciated the ergonomics and features of the Minolta line. I agonized over what to do when I decided to buy a DSLR, but finally went with the 7d because of all the glass I already owned.

Ironically, after researching it forever, I bought the 7D three weeks before KM announced they were getting out of the camera business. :shocked: For awhile there I thought I had dead-ended myself, but now that Sony is in the mix, looks like the Maxxum lens mount will be around for awhile, and popular enough for third-party makers to use that mount in new offerings.

General Sherman
09-20-2006, 20:45
I really distrust any refurb digital camera.
You just do not know what was originally wrong.

srfl
09-20-2006, 20:49
Originally posted by General Sherman
I really distrust any refurb digital camera.
You just do not know what was originally wrong.

....I see your point General...I would be wary of the sensor.

Kind of all of moot point; the vendor sold out of the camera....oh well.

Thanks for the responses!

Razor
10-01-2006, 04:20
Originally posted by Fred
I agonized over what to do when I decided to buy a DSLR, but finally went with the 7d because of all the glass I already owned.

Ironically, after researching it forever, I bought the 7D three weeks before KM announced they were getting out of the camera business. :shocked: For awhile there I thought I had dead-ended myself, but now that Sony is in the mix, looks like the Maxxum lens mount will be around for awhile, and popular enough for third-party makers to use that mount in new offerings.

That's almost my exact story also, except I got the lower level 5D.

Nice to hear that the MAXXUM line might have some legs after all.

Fred
10-01-2006, 18:43
Originally posted by Razor
That's almost my exact story also, except I got the lower level 5D.

Nice to hear that the MAXXUM line might have some legs after all.

Hope you enjoy your 5D as much as I do my 7D. :thumbsup:

Razor
10-01-2006, 23:49
You can count on that. :thumbsup:

The 5D is a great entry level DSLR.