40 kb [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 40 kb

MERCMADE
09-17-2006, 09:47
Pasintabi sa lahat.new member,my respect to everybody.
Not new to the gun scene though, been shooting since before I had braces on and before pimples.
New glock though, and new to the 40 caliber.Been mostly a 1911-45 fan /user, and a true believer of the spray and pray varient of weapons(cut down m16s and ingrams),thus the interest in glocks.You get a very fine,totally reliable firearm, with the capacity to transform into a very compact machine pistol in the glock,I LIKE..

almost backed out on my glock though,just before my glock came out, my friends 23 KB'd(kaboomed).about 2 weeks ago, in armscor markina, he's glock had a catastrophic accident.It KB'd on 4x fired reloaded brass, lucky fart though, only damage to the gun was a torn extractor.f___ing scary.I hear your thoughts,its his fault, why is he reloading for the glock,its implicitly advised not to reload in the manual,but....reloading is the only way to get a lot of range time sa pinas.
My question to glockers more senior,if you will oblige
-do you guys reload?
-is it safe to use +p ammo in glocks(glock advise?)
-ok b yung glock an roll nyo, dun sa mga meron?
-does BOG have regular range schedules?or EBs for that matter?
I'm impressed with the knowledge shared in these forums, would really like to shoot the * * * * with everbody.

vega
09-17-2006, 16:43
Originally posted by mercfreak22c
almost backed out on my glock though,just before my glock came out, my friends 23 KB'd(kaboomed).about 2 weeks ago, in armscor markina, he's glock had a catastrophic accident.It KB'd on 4x fired reloaded brass, lucky fart though, only damage to the gun was a torn extractor.f___ing scary.I hear your thoughts,its his fault, why is he reloading for the glock,its implicitly advised not to reload in the manual,but....reloading is the only way to get a lot of range time sa pinas.
-do you guys reload?
I'm impressed with the knowledge shared in these forums, would really like to shoot the * * * * with everbody.
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear about your friend, glad to hear the only thing that was hurt was his pride. A lot of shooters reload for Glock, not only BOG members but also other GTers. All FA manuals have that disclaimer, not only Glock. If you have other firearms you might want to look that up.

- Yes I do reload.
- Yes it's safe to use +p with your Glock, but other smight not agreee.
- Don't have one.
- Check the board, I wouldn't call it regular sked. Biglang nagkakaayaan.

jimbullet
09-17-2006, 17:38
Can you tell us more what exactly happened? Did the KB result to a 6 oclock crack on the shell?

A KB would normally be a result of case failure or either the bullet upon loading to the chamber went further into the shell, which could translate to 3 times higher pressures.

vega
09-17-2006, 18:02
jimbullet - Glad to see you're not blaming lead anymore? HEHE.
Peace bro.

revo
09-17-2006, 18:41
my friends 23 KB'd(kaboomed).about 2 weeks ago, in armscor markina, he's glock had a catastrophic accident.It KB'd on 4x fired reloaded brass, lucky fart though, only damage to the gun was a torn extractor.f___ing scary.I hear your thoughts,its his fault, why is he reloading for the glock,its implicitly advised not to reload in the manual,but....reloading is the only way to get a lot of range time sa pinas.
-do you guys reload?

The root cause of your friend's KB'd is the use of reloaded Glock cases.

Glock's factory barrel chambers are unsupported at the 6 o'clock position to enhance feeding.

If you would like to reload and still use Glocks, you have to change to aftermarket barrels with fully supported chambers. I uses KKM Precision and Jarvis barrels on all my Glocks.

Now to answer you questions -

- Yes, I reload
- Yes, it is quite safe to use + p ammo

Hope this helps.

jayjay00
09-17-2006, 19:13
revo,

Are KKM precision barrels for Glock available locally here in Manila?

Also, when you guys ask "Do you reload" or say "I reload", you guys are referring to the reloading of ammo by the shooter himself right? Is there a difference if you have ,say, the gun club reload the ammo for you?

revo
09-17-2006, 23:45
Originally posted by jayjay00
revo,

Are KKM precision barrels for Glock available locally here in Manila?

Also, when you guys ask "Do you reload" or say "I reload", you guys are referring to the reloading of ammo by the shooter himself right? Is there a difference if you have ,say, the gun club reload the ammo for you?

Yes, I think KKM barrels are available from Manila.

When I say 'I reload', I mean I have a Dillon in my garage and I reload myself.

Hope this helps.

jayjay00
09-17-2006, 23:46
revo,

Gotcha. Thanks.

batangueno
09-17-2006, 23:58
Welcome to the BOG. :)

If there are no scheduled matches to attend on a weekend, we normally practice on sundays at armscor. Although i can't guarantee the knowledge that will be shared, basta kay Eye Cutter, McO, Django ka lang makikinig. Sa iba kasi iba na ang matututunan mo. :supergrin:

MERCMADE
09-18-2006, 00:59
the shells "pwet" came off,it broke off the shoulder of the shell,too bad my cameras sd got messed up nabura pics e.
I'm aware that the glocks have fairly unsupported chambers, but ive heard some advise that you can get away with reloading a shell,that you only use in your glock,up to about 3x safely.I'm also gonna start using a bullet gauge when i start to reload to atleast check for case integrity.
Although a new barrel is very much in the future of my gun,I'd like to be on the safe side now when I do start using reloads in my stock barrel.
I go to armscor regularly with a loose group of gun nuts, we work near by,usually week days after lunch.

revo
09-18-2006, 01:03
Follow what Glock says.

Do not shoot reloads in Glock barrels. You're only courting injury.

The 'pwet' coming off is also called 'case separation'.

MERCMADE
09-18-2006, 01:09
the shells "pwet" came off,it broke off the shoulder of the shell,too bad my cameras sd got messed up nabura pics e.
I'm aware that the glocks have fairly unsupported chambers, but ive heard some advise that you can get away with reloading a shell,that you only use in your glock,up to about 3x safely.I'm also gonna start using a bullet gauge when i start to reload to atleast check for case integrity.
Although a new barrel is very much in the future of my gun,I'd like to be on the safe side now when I do start using reloads in my stock barrel.
I go to armscor regularly with a loose group of gun nuts, we work near by,usually week days after lunch.

MERCMADE
09-18-2006, 01:19
O, by the way my friends g23 is up and running ,after P1100 for an extractor from final option

Pepe308
09-18-2006, 03:35
Originally posted by revo
Glock's factory barrel chambers are unsupported at the 6 o'clock position to enhance feeding.
Welcome MercFreak! Someone shared this photo to me for comparison on the chamber support issue. Left is Storm Lake, stock barrel on the right, hope this helps.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/Josro/.jpg

charlie-xray
09-18-2006, 04:29
Eto na nga ang masasabi nating greatest fear ko about the Glock 23, it's a good versatile boomer pero with this constant threat to it diba, wala naman sigurong chances ito na mag-KB then matulad kay Benicio Del Torro sa SIN CITY na bumaon sa noo niya yung slide diba?

So anybody knowing what parts to keep, or meaning to say bilhin ko na ngayon pa lang for future-proofing of the Glock 23 beside the barrel

pipo
09-18-2006, 06:15

Still confirms/validates my research on glock kbooms happening mostly on the 40 cal. versions. Seems no or at least very rare incidence on the 9mms (G17 et al). Is there any difference in the factory barrel design between the G17 and G22/23 as far as chamber support is concerned?

cebuboy
09-18-2006, 06:20
-do you guys reload?

- yes, i let our club caretaker do the reloading for me.
- ok in my g21 and g34.
- yes its ok to glock n roll, if you have that much money for ammo:)
- dont know, i live in cebu.

what powder was your friend using?

jimbullet
09-18-2006, 08:58
I believe its kinda nil on the 9mm. I looked at my barrel and it seems that the shell is supported on the stock barrel unlike the 40cal barrel as shown on the pic.

Yes, Vega, done some research on the root cause of these KB's, though I could not say that I would start using lead in mine. I am still a bit apprehensive but majority of the KB's seem to be case failure.

labuyo73
09-18-2006, 21:11
Originally posted by charlie-xray
Eto na nga ang masasabi nating greatest fear ko about the Glock 23, it's a good versatile boomer pero with this constant threat to it diba, wala naman sigurong chances ito na mag-KB then matulad kay Benicio Del Torro sa SIN CITY na bumaon sa noo niya yung slide diba?

So anybody knowing what parts to keep, or meaning to say bilhin ko na ngayon pa lang for future-proofing of the Glock 23 beside the barrel

Being a fellow G23 owner (just got mine last Saturday), we share the same concern...KB. Anyway, promised myself to use Armscor factory FMJ until I get an aftermarket barrel (Storm Lake, KKM or Barsto, in order of preference). Need to save nga lang for a new barrel kasi they're quite expensive and hard to find/order from the gunstores here in MM. I'll check the gunshow in Nov. and keep you posted on the prices so you can set aside the budget and buy when you do come home. In the meantime, I'll have to limit my practice muna kasi medyo masakit din sa bulsa kung factory ammo lagi gagamitin. Stay safe :)

charlie-xray
09-19-2006, 05:03
Cge Labuyo I'll take you on that, advise mo ako ukol sa barrel ok yan unang pag-iipunan ko rin, in case you need to directly contact me here's my email cx4909@gmail.com kasi itong access ko sa glocktalk tsambahan lang at nakakalusot pa sa firewall dito sa office, sa bahay naman naku super kupad.

Originally posted by labuyo73
Being a fellow G23 owner (just got mine last Saturday), we share the same concern...KB. Anyway, promised myself to use Armscor factory FMJ until I get an aftermarket barrel (Storm Lake, KKM or Barsto, in order of preference). Need to save nga lang for a new barrel kasi they're quite expensive and hard to find/order from the gunstores here in MM. I'll check the gunshow in Nov. and keep you posted on the prices so you can set aside the budget and buy when you do come home. In the meantime, I'll have to limit my practice muna kasi medyo masakit din sa bulsa kung factory ammo lagi gagamitin. Stay safe :)

labuyo73
09-19-2006, 18:20
Originally posted by charlie-xray
Cge Labuyo I'll take you on that, advise mo ako ukol sa barrel ok yan unang pag-iipunan ko rin, in case you need to directly contact me here's my email cx4909@gmail.com kasi itong access ko sa glocktalk tsambahan lang at nakakalusot pa sa firewall dito sa office, sa bahay naman naku super kupad.

No problem :thumbsup:

Poodle
09-19-2006, 19:51
Have a friend who has a .40 cal Glock. He was using a KKM barrel until a few months ago (because the barrel was damaged, no KB though, the seat for the recoil spring was sheared off). He had to use an aftermarket barrel because he cannot use reloads on the original barrel. Nabubuntis ang basyo sa orig.

revo
09-19-2006, 22:18
Originally posted by Poodle
Nabubuntis ang basyo sa orig.

Nabubuntis ?

Aba'y dapat hwag magpaputok para 'di mabuntis.

:supergrin:

vega
09-19-2006, 23:33
Follow what Glock says.

Do not shoot reloads in Glock barrels. You're only courting injury.

- Yes, I reload
Ok, I have 1911 SA in 45 which also states that in the manual.
An XD9mm which also have that in that manual, my Remmy 700 30-06 also says that in the manual. My Taurus and Armscor in the Phil also says that. And I bet your own firearms manual also says that, I mean besides Glock. You do have other FAs other than Glock right? If you do, do you also have aftermarket barrels for it so you can reload for it?

revo
09-20-2006, 18:35
Originally posted by vega
Ok, I have 1911 SA in 45 which also states that in the manual.
An XD9mm which also have that in that manual, my Remmy 700 30-06 also says that in the manual. My Taurus and Armscor in the Phil also says that. And I bet your own firearms manual also says that, I mean besides Glock. You do have other FAs other than Glock right? If you do, do you also have aftermarket barrels for it so you can reload for it?

Yes, I have other handguns.

No, it is not necessary to convert to aftermarket barrels to be able to use reloads in my other handguns.

Why ?

Because all my other handguns have barrels with fully supported chambers.

The 'unsupported chamber at 6 o'clock' is only a problem with Glocks.

If I remember correctly, in addition to my Glocks, I have Beretta 92/96 interchangeables, Taurus PT92, Colt 1911 government and Commander, Norinco 1911, Para-Ord P16, Tanfoglio Witness, H&K USP, Makarovs - Russian and East German, Chinese Tokarev, Czech CZ-52 and some others which I don't remember - none of these have barrels that have this problem and one can safely shoot reloads without having problems.

Hope this helps.

MERCMADE
09-20-2006, 19:33
this is graphic, glock owners pls dont watch,
this is the same glock 23 that kb'd 2 weeks ago.this time no damage to the gun,slight injury to my friends hand.Looks like the gun fired out of battery.this happened 2 days ago
click link for video, attached are pics of the shell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I

MERCMADE
09-20-2006, 19:38
another view

jasonub
09-20-2006, 22:00
solution is simple. ditch it and get a 1911:thumbsup:

Valor1
09-21-2006, 02:53
Originally posted by jasonub
solution is simple. ditch it and get a 1911:thumbsup:

+1

Bili ka na lang ng 1911 kahit Armscor, di masyado uso kaboom. pwede ka pa mag-reload all day all night. talk and shoot and reload.

Pag bumili ka ng Glock na P 35,000 para ka na ring bumili ng P 50,000 gun dahil bibili ka rin ng aftermarket barrel.

O kaya, bili ka ng Steyr. Ganda. It is really designed for the .40 caliber. Este Deenoh? May referral ako. ;)

vega
09-21-2006, 05:48
mercfreak22c - Tell your friend to check the striker channel. DO the safety check recommended by Glock. Dapat may play yung firing pin. Nilalalgyan ba nya ng langis yung butas sa ilalim?

pipo
09-21-2006, 06:19
Consider na lang siguro glock 17. halos lahat ng kaboom sa 40 cal versions eh. Unlike the 17 na went through all the torture tests. Di ba mga bogs???? I dont know why but I seem to like the simplicity of the glock design and its reliability. Actually I have both - the 1911 and the glock. Nice pistols. Each one has its own strong points.:)

jimbullet
09-21-2006, 08:14
Get a 9mm version of the Glock. I think this pistol, in my own opinion was really designed for the 9mm

royal glockster
09-22-2006, 09:05
Originally posted by jimbullet
Get a 9mm version of the Glock. I think this pistol, in my own opinion was really designed for the 9mm

+1, which is why i'll be getting my G19 tommorrow...an addition to my "jewelries"...:thumbsup:

vega
09-22-2006, 09:13
Guys - The link posted by merc fired out of battery, not because it's a 40 Glock. I say it's a firearm problem and not a cartridge nor operator problem. Mapa G17 or 19 yan kung ang baril ang may problema, mangyayari yan. Ano nga ba ang sabi nila dine sa estayts, Murphy's law.

royal glockster
09-22-2006, 16:30
Am not a glock defender...not yet..but AFAIK, i have not heard of any glock in 9mm getting kaboomed..:upeyes:

jimbullet
09-22-2006, 21:15
+1 royal glockster,

I couldnt really distinguish in the video if it did fire out of battery or not. The whole cycle is of course fast. The guy was going regular fast shoot drills and I think it KB'd during normal course of fire

emac
09-22-2006, 22:13
heres my opinion on the attached video clip:

1. saan / sino ang nag-reload ng ammo? baka kasi range ammo yan na super bugbog na yung shell (20x reloaded)

2. factory barrel lamang ba? dapat kasi ay pinalitan na ito kung balak mong mag-practice using reloads.

3. lead ang gamit at super dami na ng lead ang chamber kayat hindi na fully seated ang ammo.

4. watch out for the 1-3 items and you will have a happy perfect glock:hugs:

pipo
09-23-2006, 03:15
In one of the old threads here before a member even suggested that its alright to use/ reuse shells on the glock 17 til they crack!! I believe it was on stock barrel. Though I havent tried this yet (am on my 2nd to 3rd reload), such a comment seems reassuring. By the way i only use TMJ (total metal jacket) on my G17.:)

jimbullet
09-23-2006, 04:23
Well, 9mm glocks have fully supported chambers and I guess you can indeed use the shells til they crack.

royal glockster
09-23-2006, 07:12
Originally posted by pipo
In one of the old threads here before a member even suggested that its alright to use/ reuse shells on the glock 17 til they crack!! I believe it was on stock barrel. Though I havent tried this yet (am on my 2nd to 3rd reload), such a comment seems reassuring. By the way i only use TMJ (total metal jacket) on my G17.:)

Just got my first glock today, 3rd gen g19 pre-owned. The former owner had me test fired the pistol...know what?? he's using lead ammo to my surprise!! He told me that he uses lead all throughout since FMJ dont come cheap he said. Asked him, will it not damaged the barrel? since glocks are known to be fired only with jacketed ammo..He insisted that lead ammo are just fine with his g19 and he even bragged that he used lead with it in several competitions. Anyway, he cleaned his barrel every after competition which consumed about 100 rounds or so, he told me.

Anyway, i have it test fired with my own armscor factory load ammo and i was very satisfied with its performance..50 rounds of FMJs. From now on, i will be a glock defender na...:banana: :) :thumbsup:

jimbullet
09-23-2006, 09:40
May I know based on your visual check of the barrel, how did it look? All shiny and no lead shavings? So how many rounds did it go thru it?

pipo
09-23-2006, 16:13
my tmj reloads leave my stock barrels clean after 100 rnd sessions at the range. I just run the factory plastic brush that came with my unit through the barrel once or twice and she's good and shiny again.:banana:

MERCMADE
09-23-2006, 19:31
I'm relatively new to the glock but not new guns.I have a 1911 (first gun, bought while I was still an intern)armscor, all the bells and wistles; an SW mod 36, an elisco m16 cut down to a 10 inch barrel, an ingram, a cz in .25 .So rest assured I take all the precautions I can when it comes to cleaning, lubrication and ammo choice.Not an expert though.I try to be as safe as possible for me and for my gun..Although the 23 that kb'd wasnt mine,I have a 22c,I'm a constant shooting companion of the owner.The shell used was once fired, reloded by armscor.the gun is about 1 year old,about 1000+ rounds through it.Owner never used lead, laging jacketed.As mentioned looks like the gun fired of battery, if you take a close look at the shell may maga sa base ,paikot, nagmukang belted magnum shell e.The other thing i noticed when i field stripped the gun was it was "dripping with oil", e di ba "glocks are dry guns", puede kaya 'cause un?
thank you vega, all glocks do indeed have kb'd, except the .380 .
There is a short discourse in GT about how the 9's and the 10mm's are relatively safer from kb's because they have thicker chambers,but all glocks can kb.I'm aware about the unsuopported chamber,I'm aware of the advise not to use reloads.But my friends have been doing this for a while,up until the previous insident.And that was why I wanted your opinions on reloading on the glock.My glock is narry a month old, its future will see an aftermarket barrel.For the time being I will probably be using factory ammo and up to once fired reloads only.Before my friends where getting away .with 3x reloaded brass:upeyes:
I'm not a glock fanatic,I'm a gun nut like all of you.I like all guns,might probably favor the 1911 over the glock pa nga.Kaya lang bagong toy e...:hearts:

paltiq
09-23-2006, 19:48
once fired na shell ba ito? anong brand?.........based sa attched picture, parang dun sa extractor rim area nag-fail? meaning out-of-spec yung once fired brass?

or baka nag-fire out of battery yung glock, meaning hindi fully resized yung shell dahil dillon dies ang gamit? at hindi muna nag-quality control check ang shooter before using the reloaded ammos..?:shocked:

MERCMADE
09-23-2006, 20:01
once fired,armscor factory range ammo dati.gumagamit kami ng bullet gauge bago pumutok e,dillon bullet gauge ,kala ko nga basta ok sa gauge ok na e.
Pero sa tingin ko fired out of battery talaga e,mukang me problema ung baril( dahil kaya sobra langis?)
Like I said we took all the precautions

paltiq
09-23-2006, 20:12
....considering na nag-iingat nga kayo...ganun pa rin?:shocked: ...
im getting worried now baka kasi mangyari din sa akin:upeyes:

...ok nga ba talaga ang Dillo gauge versus the actual barrel for quality control checks? baka kasi iba ang dimensions, kaya nalusutan kayo?

is possible & advisable to have my glock .40 caliber guns to be converted to 9mm?... what parts to be changed? magkano?

kamusta na yung friend mo? ano nangyari sa kamay/face niya?

please help.

tnx

MERCMADE
09-23-2006, 20:30
glock barrels are made loose to accomodate nato rounds in war scenarios and to improve reliability.No compromise ika nga.Mas masikip ung dillon gauge,mas tama ang dimensions.nashe and final option in MCS sells conversion barrels for our 40s to 9mm.kung tama tanda ko P14k,kaya lang magpapalit ka din ng magazine..357 sig na lang na barrel,he he he, para kang naka 357 na pistol.Kaya lang defeats the purpose, high pressure roung din yung 357 sig

MERCMADE
09-23-2006, 20:39
pampatawa muna!Sorry, pero ito talaga dahilan kung bat ako kumuha ng glock e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kApCwAe3MLA

jimbullet
09-23-2006, 20:58
Based on my experience on my glock, it does not fire out of battery simply because the firing pin block will not deactivate.

vega
09-23-2006, 22:07
Have you check the firing channel yet?

MERCMADE
09-24-2006, 01:35
i'll do that vega.What exactly do i look for?do i look to see if the firing pin moves freely when i depress the firing pin block?

MERCMADE
09-24-2006, 02:01
paltiq, uling lang sa kamay ng friend ko, although he felt the hot gas sa mukha niya.From what i've read, no one really gets hurt from kb's, ung baril nasasaktan, he he.
jimbullet, rack the slide of your glock then bring it to a point where the slide is still very slightly open, press the trigger- you'll see the striker will fall. :) pretty graphic 'no? glocks can fire out of battery,kaya lang napakabilis na siguro ng dalire mo paramangyari yun .just making a point, no offense.

jimbullet
09-24-2006, 06:58
No offense taken pards, just wondering if indeed the glocks do that coz if that is the case, then the g18, which was built with a select fire when engaged in full auto would 100% always fire out of battery then...:upeyes: Just a thought

royal glockster
09-24-2006, 07:56
May I know based on your visual check of the barrel, how did it look? All shiny and no lead shavings? So how many rounds did it go thru it?

jim, when i saw the barrel of the unit then, i was discouraged because it has a lot of lead fouling..but then im so excited to have a glock and anyway test-fired it and very contented with its performance, so i got it for a very reasonable price. The former owner told me that it consumed about 1000 rounds already. I cleaned the barrel, soaked it with kerosene brushed it then sprayed WD40, it's now very shiny. The frame i suppose shall be cleaned using Armour-all spray..hehe..I will never use lead, perhaps teflon coated ammo will do.. :)

pipo
09-24-2006, 17:28
Originally posted by royal glockster
I will never use lead, perhaps teflon coated ammo will do.. :)

my friend has been using teflon coated reloads on his G17. He shoots regularly, competes in production no problem. He rolls them himself.

;) ;)

vega
09-24-2006, 18:08
Based on my experience on my glock, it does not fire out of battery simply because the firing pin block will not deactivate.
I was thinking of slam fire. I am playing with my Glock and I don't see how its possible.

Most shooters are trained to still depress the trigger after shooting and pick up the slack so that means the firing pin block is still activated.

jimbullet, rack the slide of your glock then bring it to a point where the slide is still very slightly open, press the trigger- you'll see the striker will fall. pretty graphic 'no? glocks can fire out of battery,kaya lang napakabilis na siguro ng dalire mo paramangyari yun .just making a point, no offense.
The right way to do it is on the WAY BACK TO BATTERY. You will see the barrel not fully seated but the striker will fall. Baka madumi yung pistol kaya hindi nagbattery.