New Hunting Rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Hunting Rifle

A_Swede_17_1911
09-17-2006, 20:27
I bought my new hunting rifle today. After alot of thinking and kinda soul searching and debating If I should scope my AR-15 and use some .223 in the 64 grain power points, or 60 grain Nolser Partions, for deer, I just decided to buy a new rifle.

I was looking for a rifle that I would use for maybe some spot and stalk, still hunting, and maybe some stand hunting. I figured I would go with a 336 Marlin in 30-30 WIN, along with a scout configuration, and a rear tang peep sight for a back up.

So I bought my rifle tonight, and made my order for a Lyman #2 rear tang sight. I plan on a AO Scout mount and I haven't figured out a scope just yet.

I just plan on handloading some ammo, and using some of that new Hornady LeverEvolution. I figured that would give me a pretty effective range out to 200 yards.

Im pretty excited about getting this all ready for the new hunting season.

GeorgiaGlockMan
09-18-2006, 17:40
Congrats on the new lever action.

Marlin makes some great rifles.

Let us know how you do with the hunt.

357glocker
09-19-2006, 18:59
Great gun buy. Your wife should like it too. The .30-30 is a deer stopper as long as it's used in its range and the shooter puts it where it needs to be. Recoil on the rifles is minimal, the action is foolproof, the rifle is light. My brother has one that he has shot a few deer with and my buddies sister (16 at the time) shot her first deer with the same rifle. If I didn't like bolt actions so much, I'd hunt with one!
As for handloading the 336. I handload for my brothers and use the Speer FP 150gr hotcore bullet and 34grs of H4895. It has killed all the deer dropped with his rifle.

Sharker
09-21-2006, 12:26
Thats sounds like the rifle I bought last year, only no scope. I am itching to get one with it this year. I usually use .270 bolt actions, but every year I get a new rifle and "just have to kill" something with it.
I bought my 30-30 for my still hunting in hollows around here. Once the season kicks off, the deer bunker down pretty tight, and I wanted something I could carry easy and swing on target fast.
Great rifle, you wont be disappointed.

A_Swede_17_1911
09-21-2006, 17:19
Yeah Im looking foward to it, need work up some loads for it, just getting into handloading. Im looking foward to it. I havent had the chance to shoot it, yet but hopefully soon. Im just waiting for my Lyman #2 Tang Sight. So im looking foward to getting it dialed in.

Sharker
09-22-2006, 11:54
The peep sites are awesome... they go on in a snap, and they make target aquisition VERY quick. After reading this post, I had to go home last nite and take it out of the case... just to make sure its still as pretty as it was last time I picked it up.

punkture
09-22-2006, 18:29
congrats. you are now the soon-to-be-more-proud-than-you-already-are owner of one of my personal favorite deer rifles. i have a marlin 336c with ironsighter rings and 3-8x32 bushnell glass. i took a coyote and two deer with it last year with remmy core-lokt 150gr soft points. great expansion. excellent knockdown. good luck. i'm going to sight in my .22, 30-30, and 7mag tomorrow. i'm excited.

wade farley
10-03-2006, 19:40
:) I have one of the earliest 336's, with the Microgrove rifling. It was my Dad's. It is older than I am. It is still very accurate. It still has the original open sights. Also, they did'nt pre-drill & tap for scope mounts, as the 30-30 is a brush Gun, and does'nt need a scope! This one is over 50 years old, the actions were hand fitted back then! At least, that is what I've been told! It is a really smooth lever action. I would take it hunting any time, as it is a tack driver! Have fun & stay safe! BTW, I own a "few" Marlin Leveractions!:thumbsup: