Multiple types of ammuntion when hunting. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Multiple types of ammuntion when hunting.

TSK
09-18-2006, 14:36
I know it probably varies from state to state, but my question is if I'm hunting deer with a shotgun, and after a few hours get bored and decide to hunt partridge instead (in season at the same time as deer), can I just have birdshot in my pocket or do I have to have only one type of ammunition on me to avoid confusion and possibly injuring larger game?

PlasticGuy
09-19-2006, 11:23
I can't speak for your area, but in most places that would be fine. Basically, you just need to be playing to the most stringent rules of all the game you will hunt. What I mean by that is that you need a power level that is high enough for whatever the biggest thing is that you are hunting. If any of the game you're hunting requires you to wear orange, wear it. Most importantly, make sure all of your licenses and tags are in order. Again though, this is just the national average -- the laws vary greatly in different areas and I have no idea what they are in your particular area.

gruntmedik
09-19-2006, 18:05
Best thing to do is check with your State Fish and Wildlife Dept.

357glocker
09-19-2006, 18:54
Check your state regs for the legal info of the question.
Now, what you are shooting and what you are putting in your gun to shoot at game is your responsibility. Keep your ammo seperate, slugs in one pocket and birdshot in another location to avoid "confusion". If you stop biggame hunting and start hunting partridge, you should know that you switched loads before you fire at a deer you spook up;)

NYGunman
09-20-2006, 00:20
In NY that would be illegal and cost about $100.

noway
09-20-2006, 07:51
It all depends. I wouldn't do it while waterfowl hunt and like NYgunman it would be illegal and possible citation time. I Also wouldn't carry toxic loads in a waterfowl area either regardless if your hunting deer or other big game animals.

The problem with most DNR/Wildlife officers is they put the burden of proof on you, which is bogus if you ask me. I heard of a guy you carried slugs thru the water marsh ( which is pretty much all over SEflroida ) and he was first hunhting coots & ducks and later on switched for deer that might be on one of the Islands out in the marsh seeking cover ( which once again is typical for SE florida ). He was stop for a resource check and asked what he was doing and was 101% honest and told the officer he was 1st hunting ducks/coots and show his license/permit/duck-stamp and then showed his 12ga federal slugs and said he was NOW hunting deer. The wrote him a citation and threaten to take his gun. he did get it thrown out but it took some time.

Best thing todo is to speak with the "actual" officers for your areas and get his/her opinions and better if you can get it in writting ( good luck on that one ).

btw and kinda off subject: Unless your regs specify in poesesion statements when it comes to ammo-type, then I wouldn't worry to much. BUT some places have rules like can't be in poesession of lead/buck shot while doing X or like in GA you can't have buckshot while hunting sml-game ( i.e squirrel ) .

Nor don't be caught checking in ducks along with squirrels and have leadshot in your game bag, even tho you shot ducks with steel and used up you steel and then switched to squirels and shot dem with lead. ( don't ask me about this ...but I did such thing and was thankfully given an warning and verbal ass-chewing by the warden ;)

TSK
09-20-2006, 14:59
Thanks for all the replies. I live and hunt in New Hampshire, if that helps. I'll try and contact the Fish Police (meant affectionately). They can be kind of hard to get ahold of. I would use slugs for deer and 7-1/2 shot for boids.

vafish
09-21-2006, 19:24
I don't know about NH.

But I've done it here in VA. It was pretty common when I was hunting down on Quantico MCB. Load gun up with slugs, but carry some #4's for turkey that might walk by or for the noisey squirrels when you hadn't seen a deer all day.

I think the only time you would get in trouble around here was if you carried slugs and only had a small game license on you.

TSK
09-22-2006, 06:52
Most deer shootings in NH are close ranged. Many larger towns require the use of handguns or shotguns, so this would seem to be a practical choice. You really don't need anything bigger than .30-.30 out here, anyway. When I get sick of sitting I like to tromp around and scare up partridge. Then later pick another spot to wait for deer and not have to go back to the truck and switch guns. Plus, that means that no guns will be left unattended in the vehicle.