Food for the hungry programs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Food for the hungry programs

357glocker
09-23-2006, 07:44
I am doing an argumentative paper for english 2, and my topic is about hunting in todays world. I live in nebraska and we have a food for the hungry program where you can donate your processed game meat. I was wondering if any other states out there offer this same program.
Also, in a recent field and stream magazine there was mention of some stats on alligator attacks and how hunting has helped. I tossed the magazine before I knew I'd be doing this paper. I'd like to use it as a source if possible. Does anybody remember which issue that was?

A_Swede_17_1911
09-23-2006, 21:50
I belive I read something about PA haveing something similar as well.

I think hunting is a great thing. Especially that alot of hunters care more about the game that they hunt, and the ecology of the enviroment than most groups of people do. Hell I hardly ever harvest much of anything I just enjoy being in teh field.

RJ Schuknecht
09-24-2006, 06:59
Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry is a national organization that collects and distributes venison and other big game meat. Their website: http://www.fhfh.org/cgi-bin/index.asp

noway
09-24-2006, 06:59
here's my only input;

{Also, in a recent field and stream magazine there was mention of some stats on alligator attacks and how hunting has helped}

Alligator hunting has NOTHING todo with gators attacks since the animals hunted are miles away from any residental pond,lake,canal,etc... and the 4K or so permits issues are in remote areas far from these areas.

The gators trappers are the only one that makes a difference, because they do the work in the above areas.

Basically don't believe everything written in magazines.

A_Swede_17_1911
09-24-2006, 08:30
I also belive that a Hunters for the Hungry program as started by Safari Club Internatinal as well.

I would go to the SCI and find out more infomation.

357glocker
09-24-2006, 10:52
Thanks for the replies.

Noway,
Do you believe hunting alligators in the more urban areas would benefit people more than just trapping and placing them elsewhere, or would it not matter how it was done? In your opinion do most FL residents agree or dislike the idea of alligator hunting. Do the permits get bought quickly or do they struggle to get them all sold? I am just trying to gather ideas for my paper.
Thanks

noway
09-24-2006, 20:13
{Do you believe hunting alligators in the more urban areas would benefit people more than just trapping and placing them elsewhere, or would it not matter how it was done? In your opinion do most FL residents agree or dislike the idea of alligator hunting. Do the permits get bought quickly or do they struggle to get them all sold? I am just trying to gather ideas for my paper.}

1> This is only my opinions; I wrote the head cheeese for the alligator management for gators in FWC commission and basically they said they didn't have the resources locally to handle hunters dipping into local ponds and canal in"HIGH populated " areas for managing gators trapping/hunting by avg civilians

2> they didn't want to "step" on the toes of the few hundred or less statewide license trappers that license and have completed the neccessary steps for being a nuisance gator trapper

3> to answer your question,

YES if the I do believe trapping in URBAN would help the people more than a 10ft gators gather in Francis-Taylor aka "the galdes" and 30miles away from any people

I do believe people think highly of trapping an gator dangerous or not and the media "over play" the one or two gators deaths cause the public to get excited.

Permits this year went extremely quick compared to last and YES 2007 season I will get my 2 and hopefully have access to a ocean worther boat and/or ( can't sell them legally ) I will hire myself out to "another" person and charged them in getting their gator after they get the assistance permit.

Hope that answer your questions.

TScottW99
09-24-2006, 20:19
There are several national groups helping feed the hungry and lots of state groups.

My home state of Virginia has a program that is excellent.... http://www.h4hungry.org/

mpol777
09-25-2006, 09:41
Ohio has a food program like this. I can't remember the name but the OH G&F website should have info. AZ does not have a program as far as I know.

PAKrazee
10-06-2006, 19:25
yes, PA does have one of these programs, I believe its called hunters sharing the harvest.

CanyonMan
10-06-2006, 19:43
The organization.... Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry, have several ways to donate meat here in Texas. http://www.fhfh.org/cgi-bin/aff_tx.asp

Outside this 'particular' orginization, there are plenty of other charitable works here as well, in which venison, or beef, etc, can be donated to the needy. I have seen it be a real benifit to some very poor people, and others in need of food stuff donations as well.

For those who just 'will not' eat what they shoot, 'OR,' those who 'just want to help...' Give consideration to these programs.... I'm a real advocate for these programs to help out our people in this Nation who need help.

CanyonMan

eeyoresfavfan
11-05-2006, 10:22
hunting also allows for the weeding out of overpopulated areas, such as deer. i know deer out here can be thick-- not a good day when you hit a deer with your car (though it is good for us to find a fresh deer on the road --TN has a roadkill law :laughabove: )... hunting helps keep the populations down and cuts down with animals vs people run-ins
dj

Kasinefect
11-07-2006, 19:37
Alabama has such a program. You take your deer to a participating processor,(the State Fish & Game Dept. has a list online), and they take it from there. You can donate money if you wish but it is not required. Last year the program provided alot of venison to food banks.