Archery hunters, How much penetration? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Archery hunters, How much penetration?

vafish
09-27-2006, 14:35
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine that archery hunts. We were discussing my new crossbow.

When he saw how it shot the bolts completely through a foam target we had an intersting converstaion.

He is of the opinion that you don't want an arrow to go completly through a deer, that with the arrow sticking in the deer the running of the deer and branches hitting the arrow causes the broadhead to move around inside the deer causing more damage and killing it quicker.

I'm of the opinion that 2 holes (one in and one out) bleed more than one and make it easier to track as well.

What are your thoughts?

Do you want your arrows to stick half way in a deer or penetrate completly through?

noway
09-27-2006, 14:44
I perfer a thru and thru if possible. No gurantee that a an arrow sticking in a deer won't fall out or get snag and pulled out when the animal jumps and darts away. I've seen it with hogs hunting and arrows and oh btw if you hunt with a catch dog it's 100% more better for a thru-thru as far as the dog is concern. I 've also see a dog get snagged on a arrow BH that stabbed it in his lower chin and neck and the dog literally pump it's blood out and died :frown:

At least with a thru and thru, it will cut an 3-4blade hole from one side to the other and be done with plus you can confirm just where you hit the deer at if you recovered the arrow.

TScottW99
09-27-2006, 20:01
I want a complete pass through. Two holes bleed better then one, which means quicker recovery and easier tracking. Plus it's nice to see the arrow and check it for blood before you start trailing. It's always nice to see what type of blood you have so that you can know what kind of shot you made.

Most of the time if it's a good shot and you don't get a complete pass through the arrow will fall out or break off. I prefer a fall out which will aid in more blood and better tracking.

Gunlawyer
09-28-2006, 06:05
There is no question that a complete pass through is what you want when archery hunting. Why?

1) Two holes to lose "fluid" from. The tracking will hopefully then be short and easy.

2) A pass through, (in a proper hit area) will lilely mean more tissue sliced and disrupted by the arrow's passing.

CGT

gruntmedik
09-28-2006, 08:41
I agree with the pass thru as well. Easier to track deer, and quicker to find the trail. From a tree stand, the impact is higher than exit. If the arrow doesn't exit, blood has to fill the chest before a consistent amount of blood shows.

Besides, if the arrow breaks while in the deer, you now have to worry about broadheads while field dressing.

freakshow10mm
09-28-2006, 08:55
Pass through. You want massive damage to the cardiac system (or lungs). A broadhead rubbing on them as the deer runs isn't going to do anything.

A_Swede_17_1911
09-29-2006, 12:55
You want a pass through. Also like someone said you can tell what type of hit you made. That can be benificial in how long your going to wait till you start to trail the deer.

Also you have two holes that will leave a trail instead of one.

Rustydude
10-06-2006, 03:40
Can we chose how far an arrow or bolt will penetrate? without putting a parachute on it?;)

StockGlock23
10-06-2006, 21:16
I would venture a guess and say pass through. Can someone tell me what to look for as the type of blood and what each means. Like foamy, dark colored, light colored, anything else.

noway
10-06-2006, 21:35
dark red blood normally means liver shot

foul odor on the vanes/feathers and little to no blood means stomach shot

foam red to pinkish blood means lung shot

Also one other thing that might be more of a sign than blood is any hair on the arrow shaft.

Whites hairs would indicate the possible position of where the animal was struck vrs brown hairs.

fwiw: Once you recover arrow than you have an idea of how long to wait before pursuing the deer if you don't see it going down right there. Stomach shot deers are the hardest to recover and they can go many yards or miles before dying.

vafish
10-09-2006, 20:50
Originally posted by Rustydude
Can we chose how far an arrow or bolt will penetrate? without putting a parachute on it?;)

The discussion was over what was a better tool, Compound, Recurve, or Crossbow.

The whole discussion was started because after I shot through a foam target my friend loaned me his archery target that he has had for a number of years. It has a cloth mesh with about 1/4" squares in it that you attach a paper target to, and a kevlar panel on bungee cords that stops the arrow. Well at least is stops his compound bow, my crossbow (using field points) shot through it also. The only way I could stop the Crossbow bolts was to use the foam target first, then his target behind it.

It was then his opinion that my crossbow was not good for deer hunting because it would have too much penetration.

I had never heard that line or reasoning so I figured I'd ask here.

Anyhow, to answer your question, yes we can choose (to some extant) how far an arrow or bolt will penetrate by choosing the platform that launches it.

Rustydude
10-10-2006, 17:24
Sorry...To control penetration simply use resistance. A wider broadhead, the more blades the better,and a lighter shaft. To get that thru and thru, use a heavy shaft and narrow cut on impact broadhead.

KodiakG-22C
10-11-2006, 15:13
You really want an arrow to go ALL the way thru the deer or what ever youíre shooting at. The main reason has been stated above. More Blood!! A deer just like any other warm blooded animal needs blood to live. The more blood loss the better. Also a deerís system is like our own. With 2 holes the body will lose pressure. With an arrow stuck in half way will block the blood flow and they can run for a long time. It's like getting shoot and applying pressure to the wound.
My father in-law got his 2 deer this past weekend "4pt + 12pt" with his crossbow and that thing just Hammers anything he hits with it.
I shot a 6pt with my bow and my arrow blew right thru him. I didnít have to look far he ran about 40ft. With the arrow going thru the animal the 2nd most important thing is `shot placement!!
If you hit a deer right and go thru it you shouldnít have to look far. If you do need to look far you should have a good trail to follow.

Just my .02

Tim

Rustydude
10-11-2006, 16:54
I agree. I shot a yearling once, thru the chest. Not a drop of blood on the ground, but painted a 6' crimson swathe on the foliage both sides of trail for 60yrds.

allhowl
10-24-2006, 22:16
Most important is a VERY SHARP BROADHEAD. Next to that is be as close to the deer as possible without being detected. Its all about placement and penetration> Its the blood loss that kills & if I'm close enough even with a lighter poundage bow my broadhead will do the job it was made to do. CUT & KILL!!:supergrin:

romperstomper
10-25-2006, 09:04
All the way through, no doubt about it. A deer is more likely to break the shaft if it doesn't penetrate completely. The extra "damage" caused by the arrow moving around inside the dear is not likely to be greater than the damage caused by the arrow passing all the way through. And you won't have to deal with a possible broadhead stuck inside the animal.

The other thing is, with the arrow in place, the bleeding might not be as great from the wound as it would be if the arrow passes through and leaves an open wound.