Calling all cops [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Calling all cops

sfguard
09-28-2006, 00:15
Everyone of us has that Oh S#$% story or if I could have only done that different story. How about sharing a few. Mine is I was still a E-4 working LE patrol. I was set up on my favorite stop sign to watch just down from the POL. Wasn't there long when sure enough someone ran right through it. (I wasn't even hiding and in a marked vehicle)

I hit my lights and as I was appraoching the vehicle could see two occupants. When I got to the B post of the vehicle and ask for ID driver's license and insurance info. I noticed it was the Base commander, along with my own SF commander. They were on the way to the restricted area for a security inspection/waiver info.

I almost crapped all over myself but...I figured at this point it is now a integrity check. Although I know it meant nothing to him I issued a 1408 to the base commander! Sad part was two days later my favorite stop sign was no longer there.

I told on myself lets hear some of yours! :banana: :usaf: :cop:

MrMurphy
09-28-2006, 02:13
A K9 sergeant I know pulled over the squadron commander.

The only Volvo (new) in the squadron is his. Couple older ones around but they're obviously older.

He was comnig down a straight stretch of the perimeter road leading to the squadron turn-off, and doing 39 in a 30. His car was having problems and if he slowed down, it died (K9 didn't know that). So he hits the lights, and commander waves beret out window. K9 sees the glint off the flash and thinks 'duh' it's an officer, but....pulls him over anyways.

Then he finds out what REALLy happened (no ticket) and a couple of us got drafted to pushstart the car. :)

Another sergeant I know of nearly got into a shootout (i.e Major International Incident) with the carabinieri.

Normally, we wave them through as it's technically their base, if they're in a marked unit/uniform etc.

This guy was offduty, in civvies, armed (they always are). Sergeant at main gate asks him for his ID and the guy basically told him to F off in Italian, being carabinieri (without telling him he was, just F off). So it got a little heated, and basically the Italian I think shoved at him, sergeant apparently stepped back and grabbed his rifle away from him, guy starts to draw, all OUR guys cover him, and traffic is at a complete halt.

By now other patrols have shown up and there's like 9 cops covering 1 Italian (who still apparently had the gun half drawn but not pointing anywhere). Lots of international yelling/swearing/misunderstanding going on.

Finally some other uniformed carabinieri show up and everything is explained. Our guy gets mildly chewed out, the carabinieri gets mildly chewed out, and everything goes back to normal.

Can't think of a holy crap for me yet, but give me a couple days, it's been a long week.

slaytera666
09-28-2006, 22:42
My oh * * * * stoy goes like this: I signed up to be a cop. 6 years later I'm hating life and can't crosstrain.

BIGpig
09-29-2006, 01:09
I know a guy that got caught by a Dept. of Energy inspector sleeping on a Bomb in a freezing cold Nmsa. Says it started out as trying to stay warm but "got outta hand" How is that for Oh ****?

meeko
10-01-2006, 09:05
Back in the 80's Two not very bright Close in Sentry mobilized (CISM's) were sleeping and drove their patrol truck into an alert KC 135 Tanker at Blytheville (Eaker) AFB in Arkansas. The good thing we had 4 tankers on alert and 5 B 52's with nukes and they hit the tanker. After that incident SAC came down and all CISM's were directed to not be mobile anymore. You sat in your truck in front of your perspective birds.

Another time an ART team got a 6 pax Dodge P/U stuck on top of one of the nuke igloos in the WSA. The vehicle was like a 77 or 79 year model 4 door with like a 20 foot bed (at least it seamed that long when you drove one). It was funny seeing it stuck sort of teeter totering in between a couple of the igloos humps. Those old Dodge 6 pax had a turn radius of a B 52.

Then in 88 the munitions maintenance crew droped a fully loaded live Nuclear ALCM (Air Launch Cruise Missile)cart. It holds 6 ALCM's and fits under each wing of a B 52. They would pull it off the plane then put these 4 legs down and remove the wheels. They put the 4 legs down but only secured 3 of the 4. They went to lunch ( you know that was much more important) and when the came back to their shop in the WSA it was laying over. Two of the warheads were damaged pretty good. EOD was called in from barksdale AFB. I was lucky enough to be the vehicle searcher that day. It was like seeing a bunch of tourists. Every commander of anything had to come out and see it.

It's hard to just pick one story.

MrMurphy
10-01-2006, 23:58
Guy I work with was on overwatch at the main gate, 249 on top of a Humvee.

they went to move, he came down for a minute and forgot it was up there. No pintle, just sitting on the roof (unarmored Humvee) through the hole etc.

They drive off and forget it's up there.

They take a corner, and the 249 goes it's merry way.

OSI guy's wife driving behind them picks it up and calls her husband since they don't stop and she loses them.

OSI guy finds the patrol a little while later..."you guys missing anything?" "No"

Our commander gets a call from their boss.

The one striper who was on the gun is still a one striper (1.5 years later) the TSgt driving got a tongue lashing for forgetting about it.

sfguard
10-02-2006, 14:32
That reminds me of one that happened in the Army before I crossed over to the Air Force. We were getting ready to go to the field for a couple weeks. One of the guys wife dropped him off in the company area. He went over to kiss her goodbye and layed his M-16 on top of the vehicle to do it. They lived off base (see where this is going don't ya?)
To make a long story short the Base commander got a phone call from the Sheriff asking him to report to the sheriff's office to pick up the M-16 that a deputy found at a highway on ramp just off base.

coopesc2000
10-07-2006, 17:48
Something Iíve noticed about SP's is officer discretion. They seem to not have it or not understand the concept of it. Writing the base commander a ticket, come on if you told me you felt like he needed a ticket that would be cool but to say it was an integrity issue. And yes Iíve been an SP before now Iím a civilian cop who despises tickets.

The stupidest thing i've seen is being in the desert when one of our female troops descides to leave her M-4 in the bathroom. Some CE troop brings the weapon to BDOC saying "I think this belongs to y'all."

MrMurphy
10-08-2006, 02:04
The guys/girls in my squadron understand officer discretion just fine, and practice it a lot.

Sometimes though integrity IS the defense... base commander or not, you don't go blowing stop signs. At least a verbal warning would have been in order.

That girl should have been slapped. Some of my guys chewed out a SrA ammo troop the other day during an exercise cause he leaned his M16 up against a wall near him (the other ammo people had theirs in hand or on the table) since we just KNEW the guy was gonna walk off without it.....the rest had "rifle slung or in hand" down fine, this guy did not.

meeko
10-09-2006, 13:21
Originally posted by MrMurphy
The guys/girls in my squadron understand officer discretion just fine, and practice it a lot.

Sometimes though integrity IS the defense... base commander or not, you don't go blowing stop signs. At least a verbal warning would have been in order.

That girl should have been slapped. Some of my guys chewed out a SrA ammo troop the other day during an exercise cause he leaned his M16 up against a wall near him (the other ammo people had theirs in hand or on the table) since we just KNEW the guy was gonna walk off without it.....the rest had "rifle slung or in hand" down fine, this guy did not.

While progrssive law enforcement is great on trying to deter crime. I'm of the mindset that in that situation it was that really up to his group to correct him (had he actually walked off). Whatever happened to the "solve it at the lowest level" not another squadron got involved. I'm sure the SP's in question would not take it kindly to an ammo troop telling the SP's on how to do main gate duty or whatever. I think we have all been there. At Ellsworth a MAJ made a comment (from his warm car)once in 15 below weather that it wasn't that cold for artic glove that one of my guys had on. I stated to him that "you probably don't from inside your car. Have a nice day" I could see stopping and saying something on say an earring but that just shows how stupid some people become.

Mindsets might have changed but a few years ago flight guys caught hell for not enforcing stuff from the flight Chief/shift commander/Sqaudron CC etc. Thus you were at risk of trouble yourself if you exercised discretion. Thats the good thing about working on the civilian side. Your the one that has to go to court so it's YOUR Descretion. If someone else has a hair about it tell them to write the ticket etc.

MrMurphy
10-09-2006, 13:30
Well in the ammo guy's case, it was 4 ammo people in a briefing full of cops (30+) all armed.

I was gonna let it slide (I was across the room) but a couple other guys had to say something.

If they hadn't the MSgt ammo guy would have (I know the guy sort of)....he's big on not doing dumb stuff like that.

DMF
10-09-2006, 15:43
Originally posted by slaytera666
My oh * * * * stoy goes like this: I signed up to be a cop. 6 years later I'm hating life and can't crosstrain. Then I suggest you separate at the end of your current enlistment.

sfguard
10-11-2006, 23:15
Originally posted by coopesc2000
Something Iíve noticed about SP's is officer discretion. They seem to not have it or not understand the concept of it. Writing the base commander a ticket, come on if you told me you felt like he needed a ticket that would be cool but to say it was an integrity issue. And yes Iíve been an SP before now Iím a civilian cop who despises tickets.

The stupidest thing i've seen is being in the desert when one of our female troops descides to leave her M-4 in the bathroom. Some CE troop brings the weapon to BDOC saying "I think this belongs to y'all."
So you are saying that letting him go because of his rank when I would have given anyone else a ticket is not a integrity issue? I want some of what your smoking except I wouldn't be able to pass my "bottle" test:rofl:

coopesc2000
10-22-2006, 19:53
I tell you what sfguard go write the full bird a ticket i tell you what go write everyone a ticket till your hearts content. WHEN you decide to do real law enforcement you will understand how petty tickets are. So how much do the 1408's cost now? What nothing? Explain to me how this is an integrity issue?

slaytera666
10-27-2006, 22:03
Originally posted by DMF
Then I suggest you separate at the end of your current enlistment.

Way ahead of you. :wavey:

sfguard
12-25-2006, 15:41
I tell you what sfguard go write the full bird a ticket i tell you what go write everyone a ticket till your hearts content. WHEN you decide to do real law enforcement you will understand how petty tickets are. So how much do the 1408's cost now? What nothing? Explain to me how this is an integrity issue?

Somebody must have gotten a ticket

Fishjager
01-01-2007, 21:16
I have not been around the Air Force for a few years. But, when I was in the 1408 had about the same rating as toliet paper. It just let the first shirt of the guilty person know the guy screwed up, and a talk with the commander might be in the wind. The tickets that people feared from us were the ones that were given for violation of Title 18 of the US code.
By the way, I refused the base commander entrance to a bomb dump in Germany when I was new there (E-2). He did not have his restricted area badge and I did not know him. I did report my post to him, and give him proper military curtiousy. But, after that he just looked and smiled everytime he saw me. He was an ole school wing commander, but one heck of a leader.
I still wish I had joined the Coast Guard! Drug busts on the Gulf Coast, what a way to spend the day.

SIOP
01-02-2007, 11:04
My favorite story is about an LE buddy of mine back at Grand Forks AFB, ND in the early 70's. Back then, a lot of guys just wanted out, and the two quickest ways were to tell them you were queer or to get caught smoking pot. Well, you had to have a witness to back up your queer story, so my buddy went out on duty on e night at the main gate, fired up a joint, and stood there waving traffic through toking up until someone noticed.

A close second was the time I was driving back to the base and spotted our two drug dog handlers in another car. Passing a hash pipe back and forth.

tnoisaw
01-02-2007, 21:27
Where do I start?

I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB, AK with the 21st Spís. I had pulled over an airman for something on the flight line but donít remember what for. This was in the early eighties. Anyway, a week later a guy on another flight line waves me over. It was this guys commander and he was mad. He wanted me to write myself a ticket for speeding. I told him to contact CSC. Nothing ever happened.

AFBcon06
01-05-2007, 15:17
I was in gaurdmount and just standing around and a SSgt we never liked walked in and his mustache was trimmed down to the hitler style for some reason. Before I could stop myself I blurted out hail hitler and rose my arm. I quickly realized everyone person in there saw this and the SSgt kept walking to the office. Everyone laughed as he exited even the Sgt's I was a E-4.

MrMurphy
01-05-2007, 19:20
A flight chief at my base has a rather Hitlerian mustache, and people in his flight make jokes about his mustache being his alpha.

agentl074
01-10-2007, 00:19
Unfortunatly I was never able to do what I felt the calling was in the AF... - however I am glad for the people who have helped me so much to become the person with the tools to take on what I do now: Sheriff Reserve Deputy HOAH! Thank you all for showing me how to do my duty and I represent all of us every day on duty! DEFENSOR FORTIS!

coopesc2000
01-11-2007, 23:32
SFGUARD,
I've never gotten a ticket on base if i did i would accept it and smile because i know it means nothing. Now if you must know i have gotten (1) ticket in the civilian world and i will tell you what that one did hurt about $150. Oh and by the way i'm a SF reserve so i know what the job entails.

Joey
01-14-2007, 16:42
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/gallery/photos/mech/images/AFPolice.JPG

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 18:29
Hey I remember that accident I dropped my cell phone...yeah right Hope she was worth it:rofl:

coopesc2000
01-14-2007, 19:33
we had one on our base "run" into a parked C-130. Apparently he and his partner had fallen asleep, the tire marks in the snow showed the truck going right at the aircraft.

Instructor25
01-14-2007, 19:52
we had one on our base "run" into a parked C-130. Apparently he and his partner had fallen asleep, the tire marks in the snow showed the truck going right at the aircraft.

Jeez what a bunch of rookies use the E-brake and do one up and one down, but we all know how that works. Your supposed to park and hide.......rookies:rofl:

meeko
01-14-2007, 20:13
We had a couple high speed guys run thier truck into an alert KC 135 (it could have been worse there were 5 alert b52's loaded with nuckes the could have hit)at Eaker AFB (formerly Blytheville) Arkansas. The Z monster got them bad. They discharged the master mind and made the other one a cook.

sfguard
01-20-2007, 21:35
SFGUARD,
I've never gotten a ticket on base if i did i would accept it and smile because i know it means nothing. Now if you must know i have gotten (1) ticket in the civilian world and i will tell you what that one did hurt about $150. Oh and by the way i'm a SF reserve so i know what the job entails.

In the reserve good for you but I really don't care. I asked for Oh crap stories not critisim from you. Perhaps a little bit more professionalism would be appropriate airman. If you have a story please share it if not then go to some other post and leave ours alone.

sfguard
01-20-2007, 21:36
Originally posted by Joey
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/gallery/photos/mech/images/AFPolice.JPG Best view of a F15 I have seen in years.

Seven High
01-21-2007, 16:07
At the base I was station at, we had an airman who liked to write obscene words in the snow. He would walk around in the snow covered grass until he got it done. One night, he wrote ******* You. The next morning the Air Force band landed there for a parade. A big investigation was conducted. He got busted to Airman Basic.

crowklr
01-25-2007, 13:52
Back in the mid-70's when I was baby sitting missiles in Cheyenne, we had a E-8 supt that nobody liked, who was always busting chops about one thing or another. He'd go around the missile sites setting off the OZ alarm, get out of sight down the road and watch the SAT respond. He broke the OZ one winter day just as the SAT was coming up to the site to make their weekly checks. They caught him inside the site and spreadeagled him in the snow until WSC cleared him. Man, he was POed!

coopesc2000
01-27-2007, 19:18
SFGUARD,

You know nothing about me as far as my rank and my active duty experience. But like i said earlier go write all the tickets till your hearts content.

sfguard
02-09-2007, 00:42
SFGUARD,

You know nothing about me as far as my rank and my active duty experience. But like i said earlier go write all the tickets till your hearts content.

Your comments tell me all that I need to know like I said go bother someone else the rest of us are having a good laugh. :tongueout:

sfguard
02-09-2007, 00:43
Originally posted by crowklr
Back in the mid-70's when I was baby sitting missiles in Cheyenne, we had a E-8 supt that nobody liked, who was always busting chops about one thing or another. He'd go around the missile sites setting off the OZ alarm, get out of sight down the road and watch the SAT respond. He broke the OZ one winter day just as the SAT was coming up to the site to make their weekly checks. They caught him inside the site and spreadeagled him in the snow until WSC cleared him. Man, he was POed!

You gotta love stupid people because there isn't much else you can do with them.:rofl:

Great Googly Moogly
09-08-2010, 05:03
Then I suggest you separate at the end of your current enlistment.

Thought of that all by yourself, Slick?

Ralff
09-10-2010, 06:35
I'm guessing everyone knows about the guy who was getting road head from a chick while guarding C-130s and drove the truck into one of the planes? Guess he had some pretty extensive damage to his member from her teeth + impact.

Great Googly Moogly
09-10-2010, 06:35
http://glocktalk.com/forums/image.php?u=23155&dateline=1118470097

http://glocktalk.com/forums/image.php?u=23155&dateline=1118470097

odie072
09-26-2010, 23:45
Meeko, I think you and I have talked before, I was at Blytheville when the CISM's ran into that KC. I was also there when one of the ART's was coming out of the fire team after there break. The guys that had releaved them adjusted the seat on there truck, one of the small dodge d-50(?) trucks. Well when they got into the truck they went to adjust the seat, pushing it back, but it was stuck, so the 203, an Amn 1 strip said I'll get it, so he slammed his body back into the seat. Well, the seat moved back, but it had been stuck of the fire extinguisher behind the seat. When he slammed the seat back, the fire extinguisher went off. It was winter so the windows were rolled up and they both got the full dose. After shift, we was all waiting for them back at the armory, because they had to drive the truck in so it could be cleaned. They were covered from head to toes in white, everything was covered. We had a good time with that one.

To those of you that are still in, enjoy it. I got out in 92 and I miss it every day. Its just not the same out here, there is no camaraderie at all.

odie072 SP not SF

Brianharless13
01-18-2011, 09:43
I was the leader of an ART Team in Italy. Heater went out and was so cold you could feel it in your soul. Switched sides with the other ART Team to warm up. Flight Chief came into the area and was announced. Yours truly and the team member fell asleep in the moments we were warming up. It was the last hour of our midnight shift. Flight Chief walked up on us and we got chewed out as we deserved. We could have been relieved of duty. I was leaving the next day to fly back stateside to get married. Left the base and went to Area 2 to purchase some items for my blues. Fool slipped off the brake and onto the clutch and ran into the building with my Mr. Mgoo Fiat. Got a 1408. Went home, got married and flew back to Aviano. I was assigned to an ART Team for two cycles and they made sure to run my butt off with exercises. I got less than what I actually deserved and am still friends with my former flight chief 20 years later.

TSAX
01-29-2011, 16:08
Everyone of us has that Oh S#$% story or if I could have only done that different story. How about sharing a few. Mine is I was still a E-4 working LE patrol. I was set up on my favorite stop sign to watch just down from the POL. Wasn't there long when sure enough someone ran right through it. (I wasn't even hiding and in a marked vehicle)

I hit my lights and as I was appraoching the vehicle could see two occupants. When I got to the B post of the vehicle and ask for ID driver's license and insurance info. I noticed it was the Base commander, along with my own SF commander. They were on the way to the restricted area for a security inspection/waiver info.

I almost crapped all over myself but...I figured at this point it is now a integrity check. Although I know it meant nothing to him I issued a 1408 to the base commander! Sad part was two days later my favorite stop sign was no longer there.

I told on myself lets hear some of yours! :banana: :usaf: :cop:

Remember the phrase "Don't confuse your rank with my authority".

My partner and I challenged 10 flight crew of O-3 to O-6's because they broke red on the flight line and we took em down. Removed them from the area, searched them, and one of our Senior patrols searching a O-6 said those exact words and shut the O-6/Col up quickly and the Senior patrol was a E-4 female. :usaf::cop::wavey:

usafsfvet
02-17-2011, 04:09
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these various experiences from other security forces members. It's always nice to find camaraderie in spontaneous places, in particular on this glock website/forum. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I got a kick out of the ďdonít confuse your rank with my authorityĒ line. I remember thinking how cool that line was back when I was a bright eyed airman. There should be some truth to that line, but the reality is rank always seems to find a way to reveal itself and bestow its unwritten privileges to those who have it. It shouldnít be that way, but I think that is a reality in life that most come to recognize, be it through experiences in the military, a civilian job, or other avenues that display a hierarchy of rank and positioning. To prove that point, here is one of my experiences that occurred a few years ago:<o:p></o:p>
One night I was working on a patrol in base housing and pulled over a vehicle driving a tad erratically. The driver happened to be the base commander, who appeared intoxicated and heading home from an outing of some kind. The ironic thing was he was driving a vehicle I didnít recognize at the time I pulled him over. Most come to recognize their base commanderís primary vehicle (which is usually a Volvo or some luxury car of some kind that someone like my grandfather would drive), so it was certainly a surprise to say the least. Admittedly, I was a little nervous about the matter, but he seemed lively and willing to cooperate without any hesitation. I pressed on with the pre-exit tests as I would have with anyone else in that position, and before I had the opportunity to administer any further tests, my flight chief appeared. He ended up taking over the situation, which basically entailed him escorting the base commander to his house, which was only a couple of streets away from the location I pulled him over. <o:p></o:p>
The irony in the whole situation was the hypocrisy I found in the matter. During his tenure at my base, the base commander implemented a policy that, if one was charged with a DUI (be it on or off base), every morning the guilty person charged would have to stand at attention in front of the command post in full dress blues until Revelry finished airing on the loud speaker. Displayed next to that person was a sign that indicated how many days passed since the last DUI. The person charged with the DUI would be forced to stand in public humiliation as an example for others on the base to see. They would be forced to conduct this routine every day until someone else charged with a DUI would take his/her place. I think I recall the most number of days without a DUI was in the 90s. <o:p></o:p>
Iíll certainly give the base commander credit for his DUI policy, for I think most thought it to be a deterrent worthy enough of taking into consideration before making the poor decision of operating a vehicle while possibly intoxicated. But I was really curious to know if he possessed enough integrity to take accountability for his own actions, particularly if others on the base were made aware of his alleged DUI. I say ďallegedĒ because, since I was not able to finish the tests needed to determine his intoxication, it became all hearsay. The matter ended up being swept under the rug as if it never happened.

In the midst of all of that, I recall hearing that my flight chief received a commanderís coin (or something silly like that) for taking charge of the scene and ultimately escorting the base commander home safely. Donít get me wrong, some coins are certainly worth obtaining, for their value is placed on how they are earned and the stories or experience they may hold. But I am not the kind to place any value in a coin earned because I helped cover up the base commanderís potential DUI. In this particular experience, I guess I confused my authority with the rank of the base commander. <o:p></o:p>