Remington Light varmit rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington Light varmit rifle

C.Smith
09-28-2006, 11:31
I'm looking at getting one of these and I am currios if anyone here has tried one or has one and what there thoughts are on it?

Corey

kboy2379
09-29-2006, 07:15
I've done a lot of research about varmit hunting because I too want to get into that sport. A lot of members from different sites recommend the 17hmr for 50-200 yards. This caliber will take out prarie dogs, squirrels, rats, rabbits, crows, and coyote (around 75 yards).

I just purchased a Marling 917 for $200 at the local Academy because this gun was highly recommended for its price and accuracy. Just purchase a good scope (6x-18x minimum) and fire away.

My two cents.

Dan in Alaska
10-04-2006, 11:39
I've looked at them, but never fired one. I would like to trade my 700 VLS for one of the light varmint models. For coyote hunting, you don't sit in one spot and pound round after round at critters. Instead, you do a fair amount of walking and fire few shots. The light varmit is more taylored to this type of hunting. I really like the rifles....now I just need to get one.

C.Smith
10-04-2006, 12:44
Yeah, I'm really leaning that way. I looked at the VLS but it is so heavy. Cool, thanks for the replies.

Corey

mpol777
10-04-2006, 16:31
It is a handy sized rifle. Just be wary of the sub-calibers. There's a post in General Firearms with a guy having trouble with a .204 and I've heard of serveral .17's that don't shoot. Remington can't make a sub-cal barrel anymore.

My personal preference in factory bolt action repeater calling rifle is CZ. Either the American in .204 or Varmint in .17. I prefer the .17 cals for fur. The Varmint isn't like most heavy barrels with its medium countour. Still too heavy for my liking and I had it chopped to 16.25" The American is a sporter countour.

My only complaint on the CZ 527 is the single stack magazine. I like to be able to shove rounds in with the magazine in, then run the bolt overtop so I can toss the gun in the truck and move. With the single stack mag you have to remove the mag to load rounds. A small complaint.