Got the hunting blues? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Got the hunting blues?

HEMI 27
09-29-2006, 22:36
Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OjywRmcskM

vafish
09-30-2006, 10:11
That is funny.

I had so many squirrels running around my stand this morning I was real tempted to risk ruining my carbon fiber bolt and expanding broadhead on one.

Glock4Life
10-01-2006, 05:40
Originally posted by vafish

I had so many squirrels running around my stand this morning I was real tempted to risk ruining my carbon fiber bolt and expanding broadhead on one.

:laughabove:

I know what you mean when you use the word "tempted". I'm sending a small fortune on the way every time I let go with an arrow these days. Dang mechanicals are expensive!

alwaysshootin
10-01-2006, 06:34
I would imagine you have a quiver of some kind? All slots need not be filled with broadheads! I carry 4 arrows, three with broadheads, and one with a blunt point. I am never sure I'm going to see a deer, and only a hope of getting a shot. I know I am going to see squirrel. You want to know why I know I'm going to see squirrel? Because I'm deer hunting! You want to know when I see deer? Thats right when I'm squirrel hunting!. I figure 3 BH'S are good although 2 is enough. The rest of the quiver are blunts, judo, or field points! I love hunting squirrel from a treestand. All my shots are downward, and unless the arrow catches a rock, all arrows are easily found.:thumbsup:

HEMI 27
10-01-2006, 19:00
Originally posted by alwaysshootin
I would imagine you have a quiver of some kind? All slots need not be filled with broadheads! I carry 4 arrows, three with broadheads, and one with a blunt point. I am never sure I'm going to see a deer, and only a hope of getting a shot. I know I am going to see squirrel. You want to know why I know I'm going to see squirrel? Because I'm deer hunting! You want to know when I see deer? Thats right when I'm squirrel hunting!. I figure 3 BH'S are good although 2 is enough. The rest of the quiver are blunts, judo, or field points! I love hunting squirrel from a treestand. All my shots are downward, and unless the arrow catches a rock, all arrows are easily found.:thumbsup:
good idea....nerver even thought about it

vafish
10-01-2006, 21:47
Actually,

I hunt with a crossbow, and according to what I've read the safest and easiest way to de-cock it is to just fire it into a safe backstop.

So I carry one of my older practice bolts with a field point in the quiver and fire it off into a foam archery target when I'm done hunting.

I could use the field point bolt to pin a squirrel to the ground, but I'm worried about ruining the bolt in our rocky soil.

vafish
10-01-2006, 21:52
Originally posted by Glock4Life
:laughabove:

I know what you mean when you use the word "tempted". I'm sending a small fortune on the way every time I let go with an arrow these days. Dang mechanicals are expensive!

Between the broad head and the carbon fiber bolt it's about $16 I send off into the woods every time I fire my crossbow.

At that price I make damn sure I know where the bolt is headed before I pull the trigger.

I haven't seen a squirrel yet worth spending $16 on. Even if I take the mechanical off and use a field point it's still about $8 for each bolt.

alwaysshootin
10-01-2006, 23:44
It's been about ten years since I hunted with a crossbow, and found it to be an extremely efficient method of harvesting deer. That being said, I have been an archer for a very long time. Started out traditional as a kid,eventually went compound, than crossbow, than back to compound, and now I'm back to traditional. I love to shoot, and do so almost daily year round. As a matter of fact thats where I got my handle Alwaysshootingsomething. One of my buds would call and leave a message, I guess your outback shootin something. But anyway if you shoot as much as I do you bend, break, push the insert into the shaft splitting it an inch or so leaving it unsafe for a broadhead, so whoala you have a squirrel arrow. I use gamegetter or equivalent 2216's for two recurves, a longbow, and my compound, which only gets shot once a year to make sure it still works. Usually at the end of the season I keep an eye on FS Discount arrow supply for closeouts. A couple years ago I picked up eastons not sure of the name but they came with unibushings, and I know they cost me in the low thirtys a dozen. I guess the best thing about useing a crossbow is why I don't use mine anymore. You don't really have to shoot alot to be proficient with a crossbow, and when I used mine I wasn't Alwaysshootin!