Bullet + powder = deer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bullet + powder = deer

noway
09-30-2006, 15:48
Will after 89 manhours noway bags 1st deer for 2006. This was our opener mzl'er season for the far-south zone. I took advantage of the nice weather and a saturday off to see if I could hook up with a Deer.

Took this fla-avg size 6pt buck at around 08:30 today.

species = Buck/Deer 3x3
weapon = Thompson Center Thunderhawk 50cal percussion ignition
charge= 90gr of Pyrodex/RS std hornday sabot with 240grain XTP
distance = 43yards +- 5 yards
weight = 90lb dress

i walked in about 1/h hours before legal/shootable light and spook 2 deer and one was big. Can't tell for sure how many horns it had but all I saw was a big adult deer standing in the early morning light-darkness 25yards away.

Shortly there after i spooked a 2nd deer ( fawn ), so I decided to drop anchor and wait. And yes I waited until I couldn't bare the mosquitoes. They where thick and the thermal cell was just about useless along with the 3m Ultrahon and other lotions, So around 7:45 I went patroling. I didn't see any deer/hogs but ran across 2 turkeys grazing my way. They alerted and took off. Around 08:20 I was crossing a fallen slash pine and had one leg over and my head duck under another branch when I spot this single spike deer on the other side of the 3 fallen pine. It was 20yards or so with his nose in the air looking at me. I did get the scope up and checked him out but the angle and being head on I didn't want to take him. ( good move ).

Shortly after me and spikey doing a stare down the deer raise his tails and slowly walked off the trail. I wait and wait and wait and didn't seen him passing but who knows the vegation was thick as campbell chunky soup. As I finished crossing mother nature obstacle course this deer jump out of brush into the sendero and the rest was history.

I had 3secs to observed his antler to make sure he was legal and to pick a spot and pull the trigger. Deer ran about 30yards and was hidden by some more vegation but I heard him crash into the forest.

I should have waited but no I pursued the deer and found him about 60yards or so off the sendero and he was not dead but bedded down and bobbing his head like he was just punch by Mike Tyson, Then I realize I left my bag with spare speedloader and a powerbelt behind so I couldn't "coup de gras" him. I backed off and went the 1/2mile up the trails retrieve my gear and grabbed my stuff and mossy on back and found the deer had picked up and moved another 15years from where he was 1st bedded down out but this time he was dead.

all in all I'm very happy that I have some vension to proccess and to add to the freezer ;)

noway
09-30-2006, 15:49
another

noway
09-30-2006, 15:50
His sorry headgear ;)

noway
09-30-2006, 15:50
mzl'er items

vafish
09-30-2006, 16:10
Nice deer.

I spent the morning in a suburban tree stand. Saw a doe and 2 fawns in the neighbors front yard as I drove in. Barely got up in the tree stand (hadn't even hauled up my pack and crossbow) and 2 does come down the other side of the ravine. They stayed just out of range on the other side of a creek on a neighboring property for about 45 mins.

I picked up a stainless Thunderhawk in .54 cal from Cabelas several years ago. Nice gun at a good price. I wish TC Still made them. TC still sells a 209 shotsell conversion kit for them if you want to go that route.

I got another month before the BP rifles come out.

noway
09-30-2006, 20:55
{I picked up a stainless Thunderhawk in .54 cal from Cabelas several years ago. Nice gun at a good price. I wish TC Still made them. TC still sells a 209 shotsell conversion kit for them if you want to go that route.
}

advise: the firehawk is the new improve version of the thunderhawk. I have one and love it but man I almost always leave home with the thunderhawk had this thing for years and probably kill just shy of a teen worth of animals with it. TC drop the TH many years ago and the FH is suppose to be the new entryline system outside of the omega or encore for mzl'ers.

fwiw:You can get them at eders online at a better price than cabelas.

I use the #11 caps about 60% of the time but the musket caps works better for me, and always fires, and easy to extract, but just about impossible to buy locally. Never looked at the 209shotshell primer system. My firehawk also uses #11 or with a changeout I sometimes shoots the musketcaps.

This morning I had worrys since my capper was not seating these new CCI caps on the new nipple , "squarely" but it was cocked. So when I pull this trigger I was kinda gambling with "Murphy law" that the cap would go flying off.

Obviously that didn't happen ;)

Glock4Life
10-01-2006, 05:35
Good story but it did nothing for keeping down my already mounting desire to get out myself.;) Unfortunately, I have to wait until the 14th here in Iowa. Got the Knight DISC shined up, tuned in and ready. My setup is:

Knight DISC rifle w/ stainless 26" barrel
Bushnell Holosight (We do a lot of group drive hunting as well)
Barnes Expander MTZ 250 gr hollow point bullets
2 pellets of 50/50 Hodgdon Triple 7
Remington Kleanbore 209 primers

Congrats on the buck noway. I hope I can tell a story like that in a few weeks as well. Then comes bowhunting. Man I love this time of year!

G4L

vafish
10-01-2006, 22:00
Originally posted by noway

fwiw:You can get them at eders online at a better price than cabelas.

Never heard of Eders before. Just found their website. checked on the crossbow bolts I just bought locally and they are about 1/2 the price I just paid.

My TC Thunderhawk was on close out, only $149 for a stainless .54 cal. I don't think I did too bad on it. That was 4 or 5 years ago.

StockGlock23
10-01-2006, 23:16
Congrats noway! I hope to get my freezer filled this year. I finally have out in some scouting time and am really doing my part to get a deer this year. I am having a heck of a time getting my .54 ML to shoot straight. It is so bad that I cannot even rule out myself. Anyways that is a topic for a threadI will post up later this week.

noway
10-02-2006, 06:55
{My TC Thunderhawk was on close out, only $149 for a stainless .54 cal. I don't think I did too bad on it. That was 4 or 5 years ago.}

That's about what I paid and about 5 years ago too. I never heard of the 54cal version but I bet it's pretty good. I do wonder what the rifling rate is. IIRC the TH is less than FH or omega but still idea for conical and sabot/bullets.
But if you really want the better of the 2 get a FH, like I posted earlier it's an improved TH with a removal breechplug and lite in the hands.

{Good story but it did nothing for keeping down my already mounting desire to get out myself.Unfortunately, I have to wait until the 14th here in Iowa. Got the Knight DISC shined up, tuned in and ready. My setup is:

Knight DISC rifle w/ stainless 26" barrel
Bushnell Holosight (We do a lot of group drive hunting as well)
Barnes Expander MTZ 250 gr hollow point bullets
2 pellets of 50/50 Hodgdon Triple 7
Remington Kleanbore 209 primers

Congrats on the buck noway. I hope I can tell a story like that in a few weeks as well. Then comes bowhunting. Man I love this time of year!

G4L}

I figure with that setup you should easily make venison ;)

Hope you get something during your season. Those DISC mzl'er are suppose to very nice and top of the line. Alot of people credit T. Knights and his simple/logical approach in modern mzl'er and for spurring the growth of the modern mzl'er in hunting.

{Congrats noway! I hope to get my freezer filled this year. I finally have out in some scouting time and am really doing my part to get a deer this year. I am having a heck of a time getting my .54 ML to shoot straight. It is so bad that I cannot even rule out myself. Anyways that is a topic for a threadI will post up later this week.}

Don't give up. Not sure what your shooting but if it's a ball-patch ( just guessing here ) , you might have to try alot of combo to come up with the right combo, or at least that has been my experience when I 1st tryed Ball/patch.

Now i run away from the Ball/patch and the frustration dealing with it :frown: , BUT I truely admire people who shot B/P and kill game with it. A simple ball of lead throw at a deer will flatten it out.

;)

Lowrangerider
10-02-2006, 11:39
It's always a shock to see how much smaller the deer are down south. When people refer to them as dog sized, they aren't lying...
Nice kill, good luck with the rest of your season.

noway
10-02-2006, 13:07
hey if you think this one was small don't go the Keys. Cause the Key deer is even smaller. I would classify them as puppies ;)

Seriously on public hunting ground this IMHO is the typical sized deer. Due to the food and lack or food and various food types the deer don't grow very big compare to our far north MI state deer;) They have to graze longer then our northernly states which also put dem at an disadvantage or advantage to the hunter if you look at it that way.

Then factor in smaller deer are more tasty and easier to carry out, which makes my it easier on a near 40year old male back and shoulders ;)

Yes our deer looks funny with the extra long neck and long legs that doesn't match it's smaller body.

fwiw:

This deer on completion of my gutting and trying to find the XTP bullet that I don't think exit. I had to go thru his stomach contents since the bullet torn a hole thru it. All I found was saw palmetto berrys and a few hard looking nuts that I don't think was acorns and that was it.

100miles plus northernly where theirs less palmetto and pine island & BETTER food sources and real hardwood, you can get some better healthy & bigger deer on public ground and if you have a good managed deer feeder and food crops you can even get bigger. To give you an idea of how this terrain is, I read some reports that for every 100acre you might ( key word might ) have an Oak Tree which may or may not have an acorn crop. This year down in this zone I haven't found any good size acorns on the ground. Walnut & hickory nuts are nowhere to be found either. So mother nature animals have to really work and have slim pickings on menu items.

fwiw:The 1st deer that I pass up this morning was even smaller than the one in the photo.

Either way I'm not complaining ;)

vafish
10-02-2006, 13:36
Originally posted by noway
{My TC Thunderhawk was on close out, only $149 for a stainless .54 cal. I don't think I did too bad on it. That was 4 or 5 years ago.}

That's about what I paid and about 5 years ago too. I never heard of the 54cal version but I bet it's pretty good. I do wonder what the rifling rate is. IIRC the TH is less than FH or omega but still idea for conical and sabot/bullets.
But if you really want the better of the 2 get a FH, like I posted earlier it's an improved TH with a removal breechplug and lite in the hands.

;)

If I remember properly it's a 1 in 38" twist. I didn't have real good accuraly with Sabot. Tried them in .50, .45, and .44 cal bullets in the sabot. According to the guy at MMP Sabots the .50 bullet in the .54 sabot should have given me the best accuracy, which it did, but I still wasn't very satisfied with it. Using 425 gr buffalo bore bullets and 100 grains of 777 it shoots nice clover leaf 3 shot groups at 50 yards.

I really like the Thunderhawk, but the removable breech plug would be nice.

My Thunderhawk is the top one in the photo. It really is stainless steel, I just cave it a camo paint job, that stainless just looked to bright to me. Now it has a 2.5x scope on it as well.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/BlackPowder.jpg

noway
10-02-2006, 15:10
{Using 425 gr buffalo bore bullets and 100 grains of 777 it shoots nice clover leaf 3 shot groups at 50 yards.}

Sorry to hear that. My TH/FH is a one hole job. At 50yards I can make one ragged hole from a field kneeling position and with the scope on 4x power at 100yards and off a bag napsack. I have managed 2-3"inches with the 44mag 240xtp and a lite 90grain or so of RS pyrodex out of the TH and with a max of 110grains of RS with the FH the results are the same.

The big advantages with the FH is the removeable breech that allows you to dump the powder and push the projectile out if you don't fire it or worst if you have a squib load or did like I did once and gut in a rush and forgot to insert the powder :frown:

And this mzl'er is magnum charge capable up to 150gr of BP or it's equal subsitute if you need it.

Last time I shot mine , I had a guy with a 800dollar plus AR15 shooting open sights and struggling to make a 1-2ft group off a benchrest. Needless to say he was embrass, when he saw me walking back from the 100yards line with a target paper with 5 shots on it that was easily covered by a coffee cup. Even tho I know the gun and load can shoot that type of accuracy, I still limit myself to under 75yards or better yet 50yards or less.

fwiw:1n38 is the same if I recall for my TH and FH and I use 777 in my BP shutguns I NEVER GOT ANY GOOD RESULT IN A RIFLE WITH 777. Some guns like it others hate it ;) Also I don't know if a max charge of 777 would net the best results in that combo.Theirs a good book by Toby Bridges

"high Performance Muzzleloading Big Game Rifles"
ISBN 0-88317-268-2

And they go on and on that sometime MAX laods gives the ****tiest results in mzl'er and you will find your peak performance is somewhere below max. the muzzleloader magazine also has numerous articles on the same subject with high performance and teh BEST results.

vafish
10-03-2006, 12:33
Max load in the .54 is 120 grs BP equiv.

I found better accuracy at 100 grains.

I know what you mean about out shooting guys with nice rifles off the bench, but I had the opposite situation.

3 guys trying to sight in their new TC Encore BP rifles with scopes on them, shooting from the bench. 12 year old son shooting .30-30 off hand. Both at 100 yards. 3 Guys were barely hitting the backstop only had a couple hits on the target, son was keeping all his shots on a 9" paper plate. Now if I could just get him to calm down when he sees a deer.

Glocktex
10-10-2006, 10:38
noway,

Damn fine deer and damn fine eats. Congrats :cheers:

Unlocked
10-10-2006, 18:01
:thumbsup: congrats, nice deer.