.338 RUM or .375 H&H [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .338 RUM or .375 H&H

Dan in Alaska
10-01-2006, 10:05
I am looking for an Alaskan brown bear rifle. I have pretty much settled on a Remington 700 XCR as my rifle, but I am torn between these two calibers. I have shot both calibers at the range, but I don't have any on-game experience with either.

These are the positives I have come up with for each caliber, but I want to hear what others have to say.

Pros for .375 H&H:
more manageable recoil (in my opinion)
larger, heavier bullet
long, proven track record on dangerous game
highly recommended by Alaskan hunting guides

Pros for the .338 RUM:
more energy than the .375 H&H
better long range balistics
non-belted, modern case design - better for reloading?
wider variety of bullet selections for use on other game
I already have a .338-06, so I can use the same bullet inventory

Right now, I am leaning towards the .375 H&H, because I don't feel all that comfortable shooting at game beyond 300 yards anyway. On paper, though, the .338 RUM looks better. I am losing anything by going with the .375 H&H?

noway
10-02-2006, 07:02
I'm suprise no bears experts has yet posted on this topic since we always get big replys on most bear threads ;)

All I can add ( never own any one of them ) the 375 h&h has been proven in the african plains and Alaskan tundra. I think you would do fine with the 375H&H as a bear slayer and it afaik is more commonly used as an hunting caliber for taking just what your are describing.

Brass Nazi
10-02-2006, 16:21
I have always wanted a 375 H&H. It hust oozes tradition.

Lowrider 49
10-03-2006, 06:23
I have a .375 H&H in a Sako carbine (20") and used to have a pre-64 mod 70 in .375H&H....recoil is more of a push than a jab you get from the RUMs.

.375H&H has plenty of power (but then so does a .30-06 or your .338-06) for big bear. Bullet construction and shot placement is a lot more important than energy on just about anything you shoot. Unless you just want a new gun, the .338-06 is a fine round. Listen to your guide and good luck!!

suckersrus
10-03-2006, 09:02
375 H&H magnum? Buy a box of bullets in nearly any Alaskan town or village.

338 Wnchester magnum, Buy a box of bullets in nearly any Alaskan town or village.

That 338 RUM? Uses way too much powder, generates way too much recoil, and good luck finding ammo.

If you are "hung up" on the velocity of the RUM, go with the 375 RUM. A friend has one. What a worthless, over-powered cartridge!
I would prefer to shoot a box of ammo through my 458 Win Mag that shoot that Damned RUM one time!

mpol777
10-03-2006, 10:24
I would go with the 375H&H if choosing between the two for some of the resons listed. Like ammo availability and recoil. If you have to travel by air, ammo and rifles get seperated. I like oddball chamberings and wildcats, but when I travel I always pack something common, like an '06 as backup in case things get lost. I've never shot a .338 magnum of any kind that I liked. I've shot .416, .458 and .500 that were more pleasant.

Also, from your list, bullet selection is really a small concern. There are bullets for each that will do the job and there's not much need to have a bunch of loads when you have one that works. I normally pick a bullet, then mess with powders to make it shoot. I like heavy for caliber bullets myself.

On paper ballistics are mostly marketing IMHO. I've never hunted brown bear, but 300+ yards seems like a long way. I assume it's glass and stalk, but how I picture the terrain (from what I've seen on TV :S) I would imagine it would be more upclose and personal. I could be way off there. In any case there was a guy on another board the built a 1,000 yard match gun on .375H&H and it shot pretty darn good.

Is the XCR a full length action? I'm just wondering if it will fit the .375 with longer bullets or if you'd be limited. I don't know the dimensions of the RUM, but I would assume Rem would build it to fit their gun. That might be a deciding factor.

Dan in Alaska
10-03-2006, 15:32
Thanks, guys. This is what I was looking for...well-reasoned advice.

suckersrus, you raise a good point about ammo availability. I have shot big rifles before, and I agree with you on recoil. I have shot the 338 RUM, 375 H&H, 378 Wby, and 460 Wby (with and without the brake). The 375 H&H is certainly the most comfortable to shoot, when compaired to the others in this list, and I think the .378 is the worst. After pulling the trigger, I can actually feel my brain slosh around in my skull! That can't be good. :supergrin:

Lowrider 49, getting a new rifle is very much part of the decision. I had my 338-06 built in '97, but I've only seriously hunted with it this year. After only two outings, I saw very light suface rust on the otherwise unblemished matte blue finish. A little rubbing with the oil cloth took care of it, but I decided that I want to get a stainless, all purpose hunting rifle for nasty weather conditions. And, as long as I'm looking for another rifle, I figured I would go bigger.

mpol777, I think you're right. Closer shots are probably more likely than long range shots when hunting brown bears. I think the 700 XCR is a full-length action, but I will certainly check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Lowrider 49
10-03-2006, 17:54
Dan,

Stainless will rust too. I had a couple model 700s teflon coated and my 870 that was around salt water and they worked out just fine. Most of my hunting was around Cook Inlet and on Kodiak and they get plenty rusty if you don't do something to prevent it.

Lot of good comments here...you will be happy with the .375 H&H.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-04-2006, 09:56
The most powerful rifle I have is only a .30-06 (not sure what game in the northeast it won't take), but I've always wanted a .375H&H.

So, do me a favor and live my dream by buying one!

Dan in Alaska
10-04-2006, 11:28
Lowrider 49, Thanks for the info. I had an 1100 tefloned, and I am happy with the results. I was under the impression the XCR rifles already had a finish over the stainless that sealed them up pretty well. I do admit that I don't like the shiney appearance, but the corrosion-free finish sure would be nice.

My long-term plan for my .338-06 is to add a McMillan stock (adding a floorplate to my ADL in the process) and teflon all the metal I can, but I must admit to being fixated on getting a new rifle. I crave a new subject for load development and testing. I suppose there are worse things to do over the winter. :supergrin:

Mwinter
10-04-2006, 19:33
I'd choose the .375H&H if only for the fact that true dangerous game bullets are more readily available, as are factory loads for dangerous game.

A-Square, Federal and others put out proven solid and bonded projos in .375 and that's what'd make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Some folks have told me things like "I'll be making longer shots on this hunt, and I'm not so concerned about stopping as I am killing".

If I'm in the territory/range of large toothy critters, then I automatically concern myself with 'stopping' as the priority. You don't always get to choose who's hunting who :supergrin:

Lowrider 49
10-04-2006, 21:21
Dan,

A new rifle is a noble pursuit you should follow and certainly is worthy of a few winter nights.

I built a .35 Whelan on a Springfield action a number of years ago and it is one of my favorites. I shot a caibou with it one day and the floor plate flew open dropping 4 rounds in the snow at my feet. Never did it before that time and hasn't since because when I got home I welded the floor plate to the mag well. Just another of life's little experiences.

Sharker
10-11-2006, 11:22
Dan, my only advice to you, is to be sure to break the rifle in. I dont mean the obvious barrel break in, but torture test the weapon. If I was hunting something as big as a bear, I sure as hell wouldnt be doing it with a rifle that wasnt proven.
Shoot it in alot of odd ways. Be rough on it. The elements are going to be rough (so I see based on tv) so be sure to shoot it when its cold, wet, snowing.... whatever you expect to see in the field.

Good luck, and please post pics and stories.... I am living vicariously through yalls stories. My new job probably wont let me in the woods mcuh around here this year, much less going North on a real hunt.

Dan in Alaska
10-11-2006, 12:30
I am struggling to remember how to post pictures on this forum. I post to several forums and each one has a different procedure.

How do I upload photos to Glock Talk? Do I need to be a contributor to post photos? The "Choose File" button doesn't seem to work for me - the photos don't show up when I preview my posts.

Any suggestions?

mpol777
10-11-2006, 12:36
You can attach a file just above the "Submit" button. To make them inline you need to host them elsewhere.

vafish
10-11-2006, 13:26
Originally posted by Dan in Alaska
I am struggling to remember how to post pictures on this forum. I post to several forums and each one has a different procedure.

How do I upload photos to Glock Talk? Do I need to be a contributor to post photos? The "Choose File" button doesn't seem to work for me - the photos don't show up when I preview my posts.

Any suggestions?

Just click on the browse button down near the bottom of the page where it says "Attach file:"

vafish
10-11-2006, 13:28
Or you can use a service like Photobucket to host your pictures and just put the image link in your post, then folks don't have to click on your picture to open it.

Like this:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/267598751159818315.png

vafish
10-11-2006, 13:30
Originally posted by vafish
Just click on the browse button down near the bottom of the page where it says "Attach file:"

Strange,

I attached the file, but it's not there??????

Dan in Alaska
10-11-2006, 15:31
Thanks for the tips. I've started a few new threads with pictures for everyone.

Dan

vafish
10-12-2006, 06:22
Originally posted by Dan in Alaska
Thanks for the tips. I've started a few new threads with pictures for everyone.

Dan

Dan,

I'm starting to regret giving you the tips.

I'm about an inch away from writing my resignation letter and moving.

Awsome photo's.

Dan in Alaska
10-12-2006, 14:00
:laughabove:

Thanks! Glad I could help! :supergrin: