Shotgun scope question.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun scope question..

StockGlock23
10-03-2006, 01:01
I just ordered a fully rifled barrel for my Mossy 500. It has a cantilever scope mount so I am out there looking for a decent scope to put on it. Here is my criteria for what I want:

Less than $150
Ample eye relief.
Lower power. Nothing greater than a fixed 6 or a variable up to 8.

Does anybody here have a dedicated shotgun scope? I see the low power scopes with a 20mm obj. lens and is that enough to activly hunt in low light? I am very much a fan of large objective lenses to permit as much light transmission as possible. I want something that is going to be durable and have a good clean picture when I look through it.

I have always considered myself a scope snob but since I can't swing a Leupold right now I am looking for something that is gonna do me right and last a few years.

My main choice right now is a Weaver K6x38. I have a Weaver V9 on my varmit rifle and it is as clear as the day is long so I am biased towards that. I am also interested in a Leupold Rifleman 2.5-7 but that is just a hair out of my price range and I have never heard any first hand opinions on how they are. I have a 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 on my .308 target rifle and I love it like it was my first born.

Anyways enough rambling...opinions?

noway
10-03-2006, 06:31
I personally find the fix range of 4x to be the best for a scope shotgun since you aren't really planning on a 100yards plus shot for the most part.

On 2 of my cantilever mounts I have fixed 4x nikon ( buckmaster ) or 4x leupold ( M4 iirc ). I also dab around with the sightron 2x-7x variable but moved that to the mzl'er due to the ER behind not as great when cheek is welded to stock. And I also dab around with the Leupold turkey ranger on my shotgun before moving it to a dedicated mzl'er shotgun once again due to ER and magnums loads.

I would personally look at the ER more so than power and then in fixed models 1st but that's just my opinion.

1st time you get cut by the eyepiece you will see why ;)

vafish
10-03-2006, 12:38
I have a 2.5x Simmons shotgun scope on my BP rifle.

One thing to remember, when you have low power you don't need a large objective to get the light gathering ability. I can't remember the exact formula, but it involves dividing the objective lens in MM by the scope power. So a 2.5 x scope with a 20 MM objective lens has more light gathering ability than a 9x scope with a 50MM lens. And once you get beyond a certain point the exit pupil is so much larger than the eye pupil it doesn't do you any more good anyways.

2.5X is plenty of scope power to shoot deer sized game out to 100 yards or a bit more.

StockGlock23
10-03-2006, 14:44
vafish, I never knew that about the relation of obejective lense size and magnification. (Here I sit thinking I was fairly sharp when it comes to general hunting knowledge) It makes sense though. Well I think if I can swing a K6, that is what I am going to get but it is nice to know that I can go another route if the $$$ is not there.

One more question...

Does anybody here shoot better (tighter groups) with a higher power scope? That is one thing that I have noticed about myself. For example, if I am using my .308 and have the scope at 3.5 my groups are 1-1.5" and if I have it set at 10 the groups shrink down to about .5-.75". This is of course off a bench. I imagine having a lower power makes you appear to be moving less (swaying) if you are shooting offhand or kneeling.

I understand that a 1" group is not needed when shooting deer but this is something that i think about when I am sighting in and testing ammo on several of my guns.

TScottW99
10-03-2006, 18:50
I really like the Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 shotgun scope. Clear optics great price ($129 for matte and $149 for camo) and a good objective size for light gathering. I keep mine on 2X most of the time but the higher mags are nice at times.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1842-224-nikon-2-7x32-prostaff-shotgun-scope.aspx

vafish
10-04-2006, 08:54
Originally posted by StockGlock23
vafish, I never knew that about the relation of obejective lense size and magnification. (Here I sit thinking I was fairly sharp when it comes to general hunting knowledge) It makes sense though. Well I think if I can swing a K6, that is what I am going to get but it is nice to know that I can go another route if the $$$ is not there.

One more question...

Does anybody here shoot better (tighter groups) with a higher power scope? That is one thing that I have noticed about myself. For example, if I am using my .308 and have the scope at 3.5 my groups are 1-1.5" and if I have it set at 10 the groups shrink down to about .5-.75". This is of course off a bench. I imagine having a lower power makes you appear to be moving less (swaying) if you are shooting offhand or kneeling.

I understand that a 1" group is not needed when shooting deer but this is something that i think about when I am sighting in and testing ammo on several of my guns.

Isn't the K6 a 6X scope? I think that's a bit much for a shotgun scope.

As Noway said a 4X is a good all around choice.

Off a bench I do shoot better with higher magnification. But as you've noticed that higher magnification shows more shakes and wobbles in off hand shooting. I have a 6-24x on my .17 HMR. On the bench it's set for the 18-24x range depending upon lighting conditions. In the field it's set at 6X.

PlasticGuy
10-04-2006, 10:30
Originally posted by TScottW99
I really like the Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 shotgun scope. Clear optics great price ($129 for matte and $149 for camo) and a good objective size for light gathering. I keep mine on 2X most of the time but the higher mags are nice at times.
That's a great scope for the money. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 1x20 EER on my slug gun. I want the lower power for close up shooting, and It's fine out to the 100-150 yard max range of my shotgun. Getting a 2-7 might be nice for some extra advantage at the very outer edges of effective range, but I know I'd use the lowest setting 90% of the time. I used a 2-7x Leupold on my .308 heavy barrel, and it was plenty of magnification out to 400-500 yards. It would be more than enough for a slug gun, and it probably overkill for that use.

I think that the fixed 6x scope that you're looking at will be far too much magnification, StockGlock23. I wouldn't go any higher than 4x on a fixed power scope, and I think 2x would be plenty for most shooting. Even a 1x or a red dot would work for most people (and that's what I've gone with). Definitely go with an extended eye relief scope, or you may get hit in the noggin by your scope in recoil. Generally a higher magnification scope will put your eye closer to the scope, and that will make the problem even worse.

freakshow10mm
10-04-2006, 10:48
Bushnell makes a Cantilever scope with 6" ER. Under $100.

noway
10-04-2006, 10:50
One other issue with high power scope is the FoV is limited at greater yards. I have a 2x7 on a mzl'er that use to be on a shotgun and it hardley gets off 5x power and only used for 7x when to inspect something if that and that's only if i have no Binocular or monoculars. It even worst if you shoot in tight quick action shooting like what a hog hunter would experience in the heavy palmetto foliage of SE florida.

trying find a walking deer or running hog w/a 6x power vrs a 2x-4x power scope and it could be much slower or more difficult than with a 1x or opensights ;) even worst at 9x if your looking that way.

2-4x and or a fix scope seems to fit in with a SG since we don't normally shoot long distances nor need a higher power like what you see with a high-performance rifle shooter or varmint shooter trying to nail an ground squirrel at 223yards;)

If you could find a fix 3x power scope that would be the idea magnification imho. And I've seen one 3x fix once in my life time, but if it was a power that was readily availble I would by one for my sg/pistol/mzl'er etc.

I would suggest you evaluate how far you normally kill games, you rmax-effective range underfield condition, type of shooting your would do and then re-evaulate do you need variable/fix and what power you need.

fwiw: Fix 4x has worked just fine for me on most of SGs and I never needed more and could used less in most cases.