Is My Recruiter Blowing Smoke??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is My Recruiter Blowing Smoke???


ezterra
10-03-2006, 04:34
Like other posts I've read, I've finally made the choice to do something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, join the Army. However, I'm a little different. I'm 31, I have a BS in Chemistry, and I've been working the last 7 years (since graduating college) as a chemist at a fortune 500 semiconductor company. I met with a recruiter and he told me all the incentives and stuff and got me to take the ASVAB. I took it last week and I scored a 96 percentile and 124 GT. He said I can pretty much do whatever I want. However, they were really urging me to do a Special Forces contract. Of course right of the bat, I thought to myself, "who wouldn't want to be a Green Beret."

Then I started doing some research on SF selection and training. Holy cow, talk about some intense training. The recruiters kept building me up, saying that I am the type of person SF is looking for. And that 9 times out of 10, they talk recruits out of enlisting into Special Forces, but I would be a great fit, given my age and life experiences. Do you think the recruiter is being honest or just trying to hype me up?

I am a very determined person, once I decide to do something. I'm at the point now determing whether this is for me or not, so please give some insight or advice. I should also mention that I do have a family, 3 kids and a wife who is excited as hell for the adventure that lays ahead of us. I'm also not your typical "chemisty geek". I did play football at a D-1 college while going to school, so I do have some idea of teamwork, hard work, and not giving up. Although I'm not in the same shape as my football playing days, I have been able to maintain a decent amount of fitness.

So far, the recruiter says I meet the qualifications for SF provided my physical goes through fine. I do that on Wednesday. Thanks in advance.

whiskey_moodz
10-03-2006, 05:04
With your BS in Chemistry have thought about getting a commission instead of enlisting… You could be working at US Army Medical Research Institute.

Remember it may be their Army but it is your career.. choose the path that you want to do.. I have nothing against in enlisting verse going the officer route, but you will kick yourself later when you are taking orders from someone whom is younger and less educated than yourself.

Don’t let them tell you that you are over the age limit cause to become an officer because The Army has increased the maximum age for officer candidate school from twenty-nine to forty-two

good luck.. and I hope this helps

semperfiostoj
10-03-2006, 05:34
Sure, you may have the intellectual makings of an SF soldier but the Army knows that very few fresh faced soldiers make it through SFAS and when the new boot washes out of selection guess what he's reverted to? Infantry baby! Sounds to me like the Army is trying to fill in the boots of some much needed grunts that have been getting out left and right after being repeatedly stop-lossed and recalled for the past 4 years.

I'm not saying that you don't have a chance but you have to realize that there are hard-chargers from all branches of the service that wash out of SFAS and being in moderately good shape won't cut it. Even being in the best shape in the world means nothing if you can't push yourself mentally without any outside influence or motivation. If you want to try, go for it! Just know the ins and outs of what you'd be getting yourself into.

Boondocksaint37
10-03-2006, 06:31
Look at all the career fields and go with the one that interests you the most. You aren't going to make it through a selection course unless you really want to be there. I've always wanted to be a rockstar, but I can't sing ;) Just something to think about.

Also look at the length of the training. You might not be seeing your family for a long while, and that can take its toll on SOME marriages.

Hal9mm
10-03-2006, 13:40
He probably is, they hand out the 18X contracts to alot of guys. I went to OSUT with a guy who everyone use to call "Delta" the drills nick named him that because the guy was a weak POS who had a SF contract.

I'm not saying your not a stud but just beware those recruiters lie their asses off.

IMHO if you are really interested in SF put in your time in a infantry unit and learn then decide if you want to try for selection.

nursetim
10-03-2006, 16:26
Originally posted by Hal9mm
He probably is, they hand out the 18X contracts to alot of guys. I went to OSUT with a guy who everyone use to call "Delta" the drills nick named him that because the guy was a weak POS who had a SF contract.

I'm not saying your not a stud but just beware those recruiters lie their asses off.

IMHO if you are really interested in SF put in your time in a infantry unit and learn then decide if you want to try for selection.
Great advice. We used to have a cadence call that basically said that on our first leave we would go and get a gun and shoot our recruiter. I forget the exact words to that cadence, it was spot on though. If you want to be in combat arms, go for it. Do what you would do for free. Thank you for your intrest in national service.

army_eod
10-03-2006, 17:16
Forget it.

Ask them for OCS or direct commission.

I know the Army has relaxed its training standards, but SF is tough and you should capitalize on your education and go for OCS or direct commission.

If the recruiters have issues with that, find out who the battalion commander is and ask them.

These days you can get some leverage if you push. Obvious reasons...there is a war on.

Don't let the big sign-on bonuses sway you. There is a reason they have to pay the bonuses.

shawnt64
10-03-2006, 20:41
hey i just signed on as a 15t last weekend and i also have a bs in chemistry hahaha. unfortunately i am too old to get into OCS. anyway, my recruiter was very straight forward and gave me some great advice.

well my hobbies are weight lifting, mountain biking, and running so i am in pretty good shape. with a resting pulse rate of 42 and 100/60bp, i was thinking ranger infantry. i then asked what happens if i bust out - straight to basic infantry. the recruiter went on and said that if i picked the mos i wanted after completion i could apply for ranger school. if i busted out, then i could always go back to my old mos. going back to being a crew chief on a black hawk isn't too bad :thumbsup:




on a side note, there was another college grad riding with me to enlist. his recruiter also recommended special forces.



so my plan is

basic
mos training - 6 months
airborne school
apply for the ranger school

Lucafu1
10-04-2006, 03:02
hey shawn congrats on the great MOS and on going airborne too. but unless its changed you will not be able to go to ranger school as a 15t. the rule is/was that the only mos' in ranger batt (inf, cook, supply) can be in ranger batt. and ranger school is only for combat mos'. since aviation went to 15 series (used to be 67) maybe its different. i was in when it changed and i remember everyone was talking about being able to go to ranger school but since your in a mos thats not in ranger batt you could not go. now if you wanted to go inf then thats a diff story. i had a friend that was in the 82nd with me (he was in supply) he re-upd to go to ranger batt, converted to inf and wenter ranger school. i seen him in afghan 02, he jumped in and had his tab. he was actually on my acft for a mission. anyways you got a great job imo. and if you end up going to the 82nd make sure you have gone through ABN school. they dont jump anymore so now there are legs there and they do get made fun of all day im told (still have friends in the unit). i know its not nice but if you were there you would understand:tongueout:

oh yeah if you really wanna do some high speed stuff, when you are in AIT ask your drill sgt about 160th SOAR (special ops aviation regt). they are the big dogs when it comes to aviation. bad ass customers (SF, rangers, operators (D boys), CIA, seals, and so on). if i would have stayed in thats where i would have gone next. actually they usually pick up all the distinguished honor grads from AIT. i was a D.honor grad but had ABN school in my contract so that stopped me from going there.

go for distinguished grad, im sure you can do it.:thumbsup:

4StringSlinger
10-04-2006, 10:02
Well, what do YOU want to do?

Yes, the recruiter is going to say whatever he has to in order to meet a quota, so **** him. Do your research, if you are interested in Special Operations I recommend visiting the forums at professionalsoldiers.com and socnetcentral.com. Find out what you want to do and tell the recruiter, not the other way around...and make sure to GET IT IN YOUR CONTRACT.

That being said, SF is looking for smart, motivated guys. They are looking for folks who are different, can think outside the box, have critical thinking skills, and can think clearly in stressful situations.

The training is hard, but it's nothing compared to actually being a SF soldier. You will be gone, alot, and your family will not know where you are most of the time. You will live, train, and fight in very austere conditions, alot.

Guys have gone through the Q much older than you, so age isn't as much of an issue as your willingness and ability to adapt mentally and physically, keep your composure, and stay motivated.

Unless you are 110% sure you want to serve in SF, I would look elsewhere. It sounds as if you will be a benefit to the Army no matter what you choose.

Good luck.

Hal9mm
10-04-2006, 10:55
Originally posted by shawnt64

so my plan is

basic
mos training - 6 months
airborne school
apply for the ranger school [/B]

i'm confused are you going to Ranger Batt?

.40 caliber
10-04-2006, 12:27
Originally posted by Lucafu1
hey shawn congrats on the great MOS and on going airborne too. but unless its changed you will not be able to go to ranger school as a 15t. the rule is/was that the only mos' in ranger batt (inf, cook, supply) can be in ranger batt. and ranger school is only for combat mos'. since aviation went to 15 series (used to be 67) maybe its different. i was in when it changed and i remember everyone was talking about being able to go to ranger school but since your in a mos thats not in ranger batt you could not go. now if you wanted to go inf then thats a diff story. i had a friend that was in the 82nd with me (he was in supply) he re-upd to go to ranger batt, converted to inf and wenter ranger school. i seen him in afghan 02, he jumped in and had his tab. he was actually on my acft for a mission. anyways you got a great job imo. and if you end up going to the 82nd make sure you have gone through ABN school. they dont jump anymore so now there are legs there and they do get made fun of all day im told (still have friends in the unit). i know its not nice but if you were there you would understand:tongueout:

oh yeah if you really wanna do some high speed stuff, when you are in AIT ask your drill sgt about 160th SOAR (special ops aviation regt). they are the big dogs when it comes to aviation. bad ass customers (SF, rangers, operators (D boys), CIA, seals, and so on). if i would have stayed in thats where i would have gone next. actually they usually pick up all the distinguished honor grads from AIT. i was a D.honor grad but had ABN school in my contract so that stopped me from going there.

go for distinguished grad, im sure you can do it.:thumbsup:

Hey Lucaful, thats kind of incorrect. The other day I went to my unit area and there was a new flyer on the wall from the 75 Regiment. They are pretty much looking for any mos to join them. Quartermaster,
mechanics even transportation. Igave it a brief thought but I dont know.

You are right about the Night Stalkers, they are the big dogs and the best at what they do.

shawnt64
10-04-2006, 13:40
Originally posted by Hal9mm
i'm confused are you going to Ranger Batt?

nope just thought it would be interesting to apply for after i got out of ait for 15t. now being a crew chief for the 160th soar would be a really nice :thumbsup:

Lucafu1
10-05-2006, 01:46
Originally posted by .40 caliber
Hey Lucaful, thats kind of incorrect. The other day I went to my unit area and there was a new flyer on the wall from the 75 Regiment. They are pretty much looking for any mos to join them. Quartermaster,
mechanics even transportation. Igave it a brief thought but I dont know.

You are right about the Night Stalkers, they are the big dogs and the best at what they do.


can you verify that for me? i know what your saying but thats the trickey part. the ranger regt does have cupply, pac, motor pool, cooks, and all that personal in regt. every unit does. this is why i agree thats one way you can get to the regt and then get a slot for ranger school. but since im thinking as a aviation mechanic there was no way for one of us to get in the ranger regt because they dont have aircraft. so we were never given a opportunity to ever go to ranger school. its probably the way i worded it. sorry.
or maybe it did change but ive only been out a yr and a half.

good luck to everyone who joined and whos serving. i appreciate it.

justinhcannon
10-05-2006, 11:48
Here's my two cents...
SF would be a cool-as-heck contract, but you have to think of something. The average green beret was already in 5-10 years or more when he went to selection. No experienced operator is going to cherish you as a cherry not only to SF but to the Army in general. I spent 4 years in, over a 13 months of which in was in 1st Ranger Battalion. Ranger Batt and Ranger School are two different animals and I wish people knew that before signing up for stuff or telling other people about things. I signed up April 2001 with a Ranger contract. Guess what...it had NOTHING to do with Ranger School. Did I know that? Nope. It means you go OSUT as an Infantryman. If you fail, you go home, if you pass that you go to Airborne School. If you fail Airborne you go to needs of the Army (Korea or Ft. Stewart, maybe worse), if you pass that you go to R.I.P. (Ranger/Regimental Indoctrination Program-anywhere from 3-5 weeks of absolute H E L L). If you fail RIP...God help you they will send you anywhere they need bodies. If you pass...congrats you become a Ranger and wear a tan beret and now you are one bad mamajama. Ranger School will not make you a Ranger. Graduating Ranger School makes you Ranger Qualified...which means you wear a Ranger Tab...Slap a number and letter at the end of your MOS...and GO BACK TO YOUR OLD JOB! Alot of people can go to Ranger School and alot of people can go to RIP. The MOS list changes every now and then, so make sure you research it. I know this really doesn't have alot to do with what you're asking, but I say some responses about Rangers and had to say something.
Something else you might want to consider that has already been said. Any job in Special Operations takes a toll on families. It's strange the way "adventure" works in the Army. If you are in Special Operations...there won't be alot of adventure for your family. You, yes, but not the family. Both my parents were enlisted. They were US ARMY intel, and we travelled EVERYWHERE. I've been to more countries than states. I joined as a Ranger...and never left Georgia except for training ops and combat missions to ugly places. If you are an operator, you will see the world alright...the third-world. But you're family will be stuck wherever you're duty station is, with all the bills...and then there is Jodie. I'm not trying to storm on your parade, but it's not a job for everyone. Heck, the Army isn't for most people. Especially if you have an education, get a regular job in the Army...something that will help you get a job on the outside. You also have to remember that recruiters are paid to get recruits and they are rewarded for bodies. They might not be lying, but they can't predict everything. I hope this helps and hasn't confused.

ezterra
10-05-2006, 16:00
Thanks everyone for the great advice. Although it sounds cool as hell to wear a green beret, I decided that the family sacrafice was not for me. Especially since my kids did not grow up in the military environment/culture. So it would be a huge change for my kids.

Anyway, I got sworn in yesterday. My MOS is 89D, Explosives Ordinance Disposal. I think this will fit in well with my Chemistry background and my fascination with blowing things up. I ship off on October 26. Please pray for us because this is a huge sacrafice and change in life for us.

On a side note, I did not go directly to OCS because I would not get any of the incentives I would when enlisting. Mainly, my student loans would not be paid off if I went in as an officer, and that is a HUGE deal to me.

justinhcannon
10-05-2006, 17:48
"Fascination of blowing things up"

:burn: :50cal:
Sounds fun to me!

semperfiostoj
10-05-2006, 19:35
Originally posted by ezterra
On a side note, I did not go directly to OCS because I would not get any of the incentives I would when enlisting. Mainly, my student loans would not be paid off if I went in as an officer, and that is a HUGE deal to me.

What do you mean by having your student loans paid off? Do you mean the GI Bill or an enlistment bonus? Because you would still get the GI Bill as an officer and the greater pay would more than make up for an enlistment bonus after Uncle Sam's piece is taken out. You would start off making roughly double what you will as a working man and you won't be forced to take orders from overzealous wet behind the ear NCOs that are much younger than you.

If you're looking our for what's best for your family, I would take another look at the officer path.

justinhcannon
10-05-2006, 19:43
Don't forget if you get a bonus and get an early discharge...you get to pay the Army back! Your recruiter might tell you "Oh, you'll get half once you are assigned to your unit and complete training, and the rest will be divided annually for the remainder of your enlistment. Well...I got the whole bonus lump sum my first year in and got out two years early...now Uncle Sam wants eight grand.

9jeeps
10-05-2006, 19:45
Only if His lips are moving!:shocked:

justinhcannon
10-05-2006, 19:49
LOL

themouth1
10-05-2006, 20:53
You need to take a good look at the EOD MOS if you are worried about deployment times. You will spend as much or more time gone. EOD techs are in VERY high demand in all theaters right now. You will probably be gone as much as you would with the SF. I am a recruiter for another service but you are too old for us so, I will give you some free advice...APPLY FOR OTS!!! You are much too qualified to be doing anything else. You are also probably looking at quite a pay cut. If you have any questions that you would like another service's recruiter to answer, please send me a personal message. Like I said, I you are past our age limit. I will give you the straight and narrow and the tricks of the trade...I have been a recruiter for eight years. I know them all...

themouth1
10-05-2006, 20:54
I forgot to mention that the wash out rate for the EOD school is one of the highest in the armed services (we go to the same schools). If you wash, you just joined infantry...

ezterra
10-05-2006, 22:11
Originally posted by semperfiostoj
What do you mean by having your student loans paid off? Do you mean the GI Bill or an enlistment bonus?

No, they have a student loan repayment program in which they will pay up to $65k of your student loans. They will not give me this if I go in as an officer. Besides, it's a done deal. I signed and got sworn in yesterday.

BOM
10-05-2006, 22:22
Originally posted by ezterra
No, they have a student loan repayment program in which they will pay up to $65k of your student loans. They will not give me this if I go in as an officer. Besides, it's a done deal. I signed and got sworn in yesterday.

Bad ass man!!

Thnk you for your service!

shawnt64
10-06-2006, 08:37
no doubt that is a hell of a sacrifice for the family goind eod. seems like a huge risk!

wish you the best :thumbsup:

themouth1
10-06-2006, 15:36
No matter what your recruiter tells you, it is NOT a done deal until you swear in the second time when you leave. You swore in to the delayed entry program and can be released at anytime by your request. They are required to release you if you ask...

Lucafu1
10-11-2006, 02:07
Originally posted by themouth1
No matter what your recruiter tells you, it is NOT a done deal until you swear in the second time when you leave. You swore in to the delayed entry program and can be released at anytime by your request. They are required to release you if you ask...

yeap that is true. this is the time you can switch your MOS. next time you go to MEPS and swear in agian you are stuck.

cgrivois
10-14-2006, 13:42
EOD, you guys are nuts. Just pulled security for an EOD team while they set up controlled detonations on confirmed IED's along our route. All this while we were taking sniper fire. You sure you want to do that?

cgrivois
10-14-2006, 13:47
EOD, you guys are nuts. Just pulled security for an EOD team while they set up controlled detonations on confirmed IED's along our route. All this while we were taking sniper fire. You sure you want to do that?

M1A1TankerTom
10-18-2006, 09:24
Man, you guys crack me up. A bunch of barricks lawyers....anyways, Seeings to how I have been a DETAILED recruiter for over a year now I think I could clear some things up.

For one...Not all recruiters are evil scum of the earth no good dogs. A large portion of recruiters are DETAILED, meaning we want nothing to do with recruiting but the army made us do it for our three years. I am NOT a recruiter, I am a tanker acting as a recruiter for three years and then I will go back to tanks.

Two, I would say 75% of recruiters really do not lie. We could give a damn less whether you join or not. We dont get paid extra if you join, we get paid if you join or not. If we dont put anybody in the army for a whole month the only thing that could happen to us is you get yelled at for a day. If somebody doesnt want to join Im not going to go home and cry, I promise.

Three, somebody on here said that we recruit to meet our quoto on certain MOS's. That is not true. We are specifically told NOT to sell people on specific jobs. We just find out if you want to join, if you do GREAT, you pick your own job, I dont give a damn what job you pick.

Four, somebody said officers can join up to the age of 42...SORRY GUY. Go hit the books before you start posting stuff on the internet. Officer age cut off is 29, enlisted age cut off is 42...although we can run waivers for want to be officers with the age above 29.

Five, to the guy that posted this. I am enlisted and I love it, I would never turn to the dark side (officer) but considering your age and that you have a degree you should go officer. A new usarec message was release a few months ago and OCS can now recieve the college repayment. Let your recruiter know this (its still new he might not know, dont assume he lied to you) and tell him if this is true you would like to consider renogotiating your contract for OCS.

ezterra
10-18-2006, 12:09
Thanks for the great info MIA! My recruiter was also "detailed" the recruiting job. He's normally 11B, and from what he tells me, he can't wait to get back to doing what he's been trained to do. I guess I fell for the hype I've read/heard about recruiters just wanting to make quotas. But honestly, I don't think I could have chose or picked a better recruiter. He always just answered my questions, and he has always been straight up with me.

bharen
10-21-2006, 05:33
Guys, let's stop criticizing his decision - it's made and he seems happy with it. Now what he needs is support.

Ezterra, welcome to the Army! I joined on a lark back in '79 with no intention to stay beyond my initial committment. Twenty three years later the Army and I said a very amicable goodby to each other and I miss it every day (so much so I just went back to being a scumbag contractor for the Army :animlol:).

When you sign up your family signs up, too. It is very important that your spouse and kids understand what you are getting into. Your service will be just as rough and rewarding to them as it is to you. Always keep that in mind! After an adjustment period my wife ended up loving the Army, loving the travel and loving the benefits and security. It helps greatly if your spouse has a fairly 'portable' career like nursing or teaching. My wife was a certified teacher and was always able to find jobs wherever we went. Our kids loved it too. Both were born into the Army (one in Germany and one at Fort Lewis). A lot of people feel sorry for military brats because they move around so much but they don't understand that constant moves are their paradigm and virtually all of their peers do the same. It was common for my kids to say goodby to good friends at someplace like Fort Bragg only to meet up with them a year later in Germany. It is part of the adventure! My daughter recently turned 21 and had to give up her military dependent ID card. She cried. Not because she was losing some very comforting benefits but because being a military brat is the keystone of her identity. In good times and bad the Army was always there for her and now she had to say goodby. She said it affected her worse than she thought it would. It was like saying a final goodby to a best friend.

Like I said, your family joins up too.

Tiloke
10-21-2006, 05:43
I hav'nt read all the replies to this thread becuase I am in a hurry.


This recruiter is trying to get you to be an infantry grunt without telling you. There is only about a .5% chance that you'll pass training and make selection to a S.F. unit. As soon as the 99.5% of people that don't make it fail, they are classified as "infantry".

The army needs infantry reaaaaaallllyy bad right now so I can't fault your recruiter for trying, espessially if you actually get a chance at S.F..... But remember... .5%



[EDIT]---------------------

Thank you for your service. The ARMY was the best time I ever had and If they make me early retire I'd still be in.

SFC Glock23
10-25-2006, 22:28
Here is an idea. If you have all this going for you in Civilian life, then why did you decide to join the military? If you always wanted to do this since a young kid; then why not go with a job that suites both of your reasons?

I have served 22 years, done jobs I had to do and done jobs I wanted to do. I can tell you I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more doing what I wanted.

Good luck to you sir, and by all means enjoy your life.

ezterra
10-26-2006, 20:21
Originally posted by bharen
Guys, let's stop criticizing his decision - it's made and he seems happy with it. Now what he needs is support.

Ezterra, welcome to the Army! I joined on a lark back in '79 with no intention to stay beyond my initial committment. Twenty three years later the Army and I said a very amicable goodby to each other and I miss it every day (so much so I just went back to being a scumbag contractor for the Army :animlol:).

When you sign up your family signs up, too. It is very important that your spouse and kids understand what you are getting into. Your service will be just as rough and rewarding to them as it is to you. Always keep that in mind! After an adjustment period my wife ended up loving the Army, loving the travel and loving the benefits and security. It helps greatly if your spouse has a fairly 'portable' career like nursing or teaching. My wife was a certified teacher and was always able to find jobs wherever we went. Our kids loved it too. Both were born into the Army (one in Germany and one at Fort Lewis). A lot of people feel sorry for military brats because they move around so much but they don't understand that constant moves are their paradigm and virtually all of their peers do the same. It was common for my kids to say goodby to good friends at someplace like Fort Bragg only to meet up with them a year later in Germany. It is part of the adventure! My daughter recently turned 21 and had to give up her military dependent ID card. She cried. Not because she was losing some very comforting benefits but because being a military brat is the keystone of her identity. In good times and bad the Army was always there for her and now she had to say goodby. She said it affected her worse than she thought it would. It was like saying a final goodby to a best friend.

Like I said, your family joins up too.

Thanks bharen for the support and encouragement. When my wife and I were discussing the decision, I made it very clear that there will be a lot of responsibility placed on her, and that there will be rough times. We are willing to take it all, and as prepared as we can be. She is currently a stay at home mom, but she's does keep her RN license current. So we are grateful that we can always fall back on that if the finances get tight.

I just swore in to the Regular Army today, and I'll be shipping out to Ft. Leonard Wood tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Although I feel quite a bit of anxiety, and I'm already missing my kids, the amazing thing is I know this is the right decision for us and I feel no reservations or hesitations. Call it duty, or whatever, but I know that if I don't do this I will regret it for the rest of my life.

Sam White
10-26-2006, 20:28
Hey, good luck and take care. Thanks for joining and doing your part.:eagle: :patriot:

Rally Vincent
10-26-2006, 20:28
Originally posted by ezterra
Like other posts I've read, I've finally made the choice to do something I've wanted to do since I was a kid, join the Army. However, I'm a little different. I'm 31, I have a BS in Chemistry, and I've been working the last 7 years (since graduating college) as a chemist at a fortune 500 semiconductor company. I met with a recruiter and he told me all the incentives and stuff and got me to take the ASVAB. I took it last week and I scored a 96 percentile and 124 GT. He said I can pretty much do whatever I want. However, they were really urging me to do a Special Forces contract. Of course right of the bat, I thought to myself, "who wouldn't want to be a Green Beret."

Then I started doing some research on SF selection and training. Holy cow, talk about some intense training. The recruiters kept building me up, saying that I am the type of person SF is looking for. And that 9 times out of 10, they talk recruits out of enlisting into Special Forces, but I would be a great fit, given my age and life experiences. Do you think the recruiter is being honest or just trying to hype me up?

I am a very determined person, once I decide to do something. I'm at the point now determing whether this is for me or not, so please give some insight or advice. I should also mention that I do have a family, 3 kids and a wife who is excited as hell for the adventure that lays ahead of us. I'm also not your typical "chemisty geek". I did play football at a D-1 college while going to school, so I do have some idea of teamwork, hard work, and not giving up. Although I'm not in the same shape as my football playing days, I have been able to maintain a decent amount of fitness.

So far, the recruiter says I meet the qualifications for SF provided my physical goes through fine. I do that on Wednesday. Thanks in advance.

Oh you'd just LOVE the Infantry. :thumbsup:
So many great things to see and do.

youngsta614
11-11-2006, 19:48
join the national guard, be a weekend warrior and still get to work with ur current job. they will direct commission to become an officer too becuase of your BS degree.

Snuffy2
11-28-2006, 11:16
One thing to always keep in mind and the best way to keep any man in check is have him sign his name, you can very easily go home tonight get on your computer and write your own document. Put in that document exactly what you want it to say, and then have him read it and sign it. If you put on the paper what he is telling you (verbally) and he refusues to sigh the letter (he is blowing smoke) I never knew a man who was honest who would sign the document. By the way I was a recruiter once in my previous life. Who says he can't sign a document of yours; god knows you are signing alot of his documents.

USDefender
12-05-2006, 12:23
I served as enlisted (BEFORE I got my BS in business) and loved my four-year stint as a UH-60A Crewman, then Crewchief. If I had it all to do over again, under the same circumstances, I'd definitely do it over.

However, I just cannot see having a degree, then going 'enlisted'. Screw that. If I had had my degree at the time, I would have DEFINITELY gone to OCS.

ESPECIALLY if I had been older than I was (18-21yrs.). It would just be way too frustrating being 'led' and 'ordered around' by younger, less experienced 'butter-bars'. Besides, there are certain 'perks' to being an officer, that just aren't available to enlisted personnel...

Regarding special forces school, the washout-rate is extremely high. If that's what you're after, then go for it. If you just want to serve, but not go to extremes to do it, you may want to reconsider.

I sincerely hope you reconsider going to OCS.

One thing I didn't do was listen to what my recruiter had to say. He tried to talk me out of going into aviation...which was my whole reason for going in the first place. He didn't like it when I stood my ground (and then finally threatened to go to the Air Force), but I got what I wanted.

My advice? Decide what you want, then stand your ground. They need YOU way more then you need THEM.

USDefender
12-05-2006, 12:24
*Oops. Double post. Sorry, fellas. :embarassed:

semperfiostoj
12-05-2006, 12:50
Guys, I'm sure he would have appreciated the advice but it's all kind of moot now:

I just swore in to the Regular Army today, and I'll be shipping out to Ft. Leonard Wood tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Although I feel quite a bit of anxiety, and I'm already missing my kids, the amazing thing is I know this is the right decision for us and I feel no reservations or hesitations. Call it duty, or whatever, but I know that if I don't do this I will regret it for the rest of my life.

:thumbsup:

USDefender
12-05-2006, 15:39
I wish him all the best. Hope his experience is a good one.

ezterra
12-27-2006, 22:04
Originally posted by semperfiostoj
Guys, I'm sure he would have appreciated the advice but it's all kind of moot now:

I just swore in to the Regular Army today, and I'll be shipping out to Ft. Leonard Wood tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Although I feel quite a bit of anxiety, and I'm already missing my kids, the amazing thing is I know this is the right decision for us and I feel no reservations or hesitations. Call it duty, or whatever, but I know that if I don't do this I will regret it for the rest of my life.

:thumbsup:

Yup, too late now. I'm back on Christmas Exodus from BCT. So far so good. I'm just ready to get out of basic training and start AIT where the real training is. 2 weeks left of basic then it's off to AIT. I can tell you this, SF is not for me :shocked:. Hopefully I can keep my head straight, and I'll be an EOD tech sometime in September.

M1A1TankerTom
12-28-2006, 09:05
so now that you are back do you think that your recruiter lied to you at all?

Everytime I put somebody in the army I always ask them if they thought I lied to them when they get back. I can honestly say that out of all the kids I have put in I have never had one say yes. I did however have one kid say that he thought I left some stuff out, when I asked him what it turns out he was upset because I never told him that basic training is nine weeks PLUS in-processing time. He thought he would be done on the day of him being there for nine weeks...oh well...he got over it.

ezterra
12-28-2006, 13:10
Originally posted by M1A1TankerTom
so now that you are back do you think that your recruiter lied to you at all?

Everytime I put somebody in the army I always ask them if they thought I lied to them when they get back. I can honestly say that out of all the kids I have put in I have never had one say yes. I did however have one kid say that he thought I left some stuff out, when I asked him what it turns out he was upset because I never told him that basic training is nine weeks PLUS in-processing time. He thought he would be done on the day of him being there for nine weeks...oh well...he got over it.

Nope, I think my recruiter did a fine job. He did leave the part about reception out as well. I think recruiters should probably make it a point to inform recruits that BCT does not include reception time. Fortunately, my reception time was only 7 days, however, I heard of people being stuck in reception for weeks.

fourdeuce2
09-15-2007, 15:10
Anybody who thinks the Infantry is so bad should go over and check out the 11B sound off thread on this board.:thumbsup: There are quite a few of us who have been there and done that and don't seem too disappointed with the branch. I spent 12 years in the Infantry, and about 3 years in another MOS(84B, Still Photographer) so I have at least one other MOS to compare it with. And in case anybody's wondering if I was in the Infantry because I didn't have any other choice, my GT score from the ASVAB was 155.:tongueout: Lots of people go in the Infantry because that's what they want to do.:wavey: Of course, not everybody getting into it knows everything they're getting into. When I first joined(at 17) I didn't really know what an 11C(Infantry Indirect Fire Specialist) did, but I figured it out by the time I made SSG.:rofl:

ezterra
09-15-2007, 15:49
Okay, so here I am, nearly one year has past since I left for basic training. Guess what? I most definitely made the right decision. EOD is the bomb (pun intended). I still have about 4 and a half months left in EOD school, but it's awsome. I love the training and I love blowing things up. Now I'm just really excited to get to my first duty station.

paper warrior
09-16-2007, 00:29
EOD? Damn, you're crazy, have fun with it. So, are you going to make a carreer out of it or do the 3 years?

ezterra
09-18-2007, 19:21
Originally posted by paper warrior
EOD? Damn, you're crazy, have fun with it. So, are you going to make a carreer out of it or do the 3 years?

I'm not sure yet. I definitely want to try and make a career out of EOD, but whether it's in the Army or civilian, I don't know. I'm open to both. Since I haven't been in the "real Army" yet, it's hard to make the call. All I have to say is if the "real Army" is anything like tradoc, I don't think I'll be career Army.

fourdeuce2
09-19-2007, 11:48
I wouldn't judge the real Army by TRADOC.;) They're different.:supergrin:

92b16vx
09-19-2007, 14:55
Originally posted by ezterra
I'm not sure yet. I definitely want to try and make a career out of EOD, but whether it's in the Army or civilian, I don't know. I'm open to both. Since I haven't been in the "real Army" yet, it's hard to make the call. All I have to say is if the "real Army" is anything like tradoc, I don't think I'll be career Army.

:thumbsup: One of my buddies went EOD right when I was getting out, he loves it, unfortunately, he has already been to Iraq twice since then, shorter tours but still. Glad to hear you like it.