Delaware County: where to shoot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Delaware County: where to shoot?

Walking Softly
10-07-2006, 17:36
Hello Pennsylvania Glockers,
I'm moving to the Drexel hill/Philadelphia area next week and could use some local advice.

Can you recommend a few good ranges in that area?
Specifically, a pistol range that's indoor, open late, and at least 25 yards.

And, a rifle range of at least 100 yards.

Also, are there any good defensive shooting or concealed carry groups in addition to IDPA and IPSC?

Thank you for your advice, and I hope to meet you on the firing line.

dgg9
10-07-2006, 19:02
Originally posted by Walking Softly
Drexel hill

I'm guessing this is closest:

www.doubleaction.org

Rifle ranges are harder. The ones near you will have stupid country club rules or actually ban CCW on premises. I won't give them my business. But I'm told this is a nice place:

http://www.sccsfa.org/

Suburban
10-08-2006, 17:07
Double Action only allows use of ammo they sell.

Targetmaster in Chadds Ford will let you shoot your own ammo, as long as it's not Wolf, Geco, Blazer, the Russian Bear stuff, lead reloads, Winchester value packs, ... maybe a couple others. They haven't been checking my ammo, but that may be because I'm a regular there.

For rifle, and action pistol matches, I go to Delaware County Field & Stream. I think this is the country club range referred to, but I see no CCW prohibited signs, so I'm not pushing the issue.

true believer
10-08-2006, 17:08
what part in drexel hill?

:)
bob

Suburban
10-09-2006, 23:13
Also, are there any good defensive shooting or concealed carry groups in addition to IDPA and IPSC? [/B]

I've heard that there's a USPSA club within 30 minutes of DCFS, but I have not looked into it.

DanV1317
10-10-2006, 05:37
there are like 7 or 8 IDPA shoots though within 2 hrs. like 1-2 every weekend. Lots of guys travel so just meet up with some of them. i could probably help you out if you are interested.

Walking Softly
10-11-2006, 21:53
Thank you, I'd really appreciate an introduction to the local events.

Targetmaster sounds like fun, I'll give them a try.

Also, due to a CF I'll be living in Radnor instead of Drexel Hill.

Stainless Chili
10-19-2006, 08:45
If you want to take a little drive, there is a State Gamesland range in French Creek.
DCFS.org, as mentioned. No guns in the clubhouse.
A farmer has a bit of land on Swamp Road in Bucks County, I hear. I'll find it one of these days.

murph2127
10-29-2006, 19:05
Originally posted by Suburban
I've heard that there's a USPSA club within 30 minutes of DCFS, but I have not looked into it.

Southern Chester County has USPSA, off 926 west of 202.

Pretty nice range too.

Suburban
11-02-2006, 00:34
Re: Targetmaster

I just occurred to me that I should mention that Targetmaster's backstop is not rated for high-power rifle rounds. They do allow .223 and 7.62x39mm if you shoot their frangible ammo, and .30-30 is allowed also I believe.

Walking Softly
11-06-2006, 02:49
Thanks for the advice,
I been down to Targetmaster a few times. It's ok, but annoying that they don't allow non-jacketed ammunition, and it fills up fast on the weekends.

Is anyone here a member of Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club?
What do you think of it, and would you sponsor me?

pbmax
01-31-2007, 13:20
I am a member at lower providence rod and gun club if you need a sponsor. Do you have any questions regarding membership?

FortyCaliber
01-31-2007, 20:49
Is anyone here a member of Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club?

LPRGC has IDPA matches that are open to the public. IPSC matches are currently suspended.

If you become a member and you successfully complete the Basic Handgun and Personal Protection classes offered at LPRGC you would then be eligible to participate at the weekly action pistol league "members only" defensive shooting night.

http://www.lowerprovidencerodandgunclub.com/

pbmax
02-01-2007, 09:31
Forty,

Are you a member at the club?

FortyCaliber
02-01-2007, 19:29
Not a very active one at the current time, but a member nonetheless.

Walking Softly
02-02-2007, 11:20
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the offers, but I've already joined LPR&GC. It's a nice club for trap and pistols.

Now I just need to find someplace to shoot rifles. LPR&GC requires all rifles to be shot from the bench. Is there anywhere in southeast PA that allows prone, sitting, and offhand rifle shooting? Also, a range greater then 100 yards would be nice.