Battlefield 2142 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2142

Tvov
10-09-2006, 07:14
A demo for Battlefield 2142 is available for download. I usually go to FileFront, I am sure you can find it all over. Also, in true EA fashion, you probably will need to download a new .dll something or other in order to play it, it has something to do with DirectX.

Sorry I'm not more specific, but I just play with computers, I don't program them!

Also, I have read that after you manage to get the demo working, it may crash to desktop. One possible fix is to disable the in game VOIP.

This does not bode well for the this game, to say the least. When the demo is offered incomplete, and with crashing bugs.......

Well, if I manage to get it running, at least it will let me decide if I want to spend the money for the full game.

Tvov
10-12-2006, 10:45
Well, I've been playing the demo for a few days now. The game seems like a combination of a bunch of other games, such as Halo, Quake, etc. It is basically a science fiction shooter.
The "Titan mode" is a cool idea, but servers are having some trouble running it. Basically, you take over ground missle launch sites, whose missiles then take out the shield of the enemie's Titan hover ship, then you board the ship to destroy it. Boarding can be done by transport aircraft or the ground APC's, which can launch one-man "pods" into the air that you can guide onto the Titan. A lot of servers are having trouble with lag issues, something to do with the Titan's movement and when players board them.

All the soldiers have "heavy" body armor, so in order to get a kill you almost have to use up a whole magazine on each enemy. The sniper rifles (or "scout" class) are annoying as heck, as they have a built in "float", and won't stay on target without constant mouse corrections.

One side has "hover tanks", which take some getting used to. It feels like you are sliding on ice when you drive them.

Also, "walkers" or "mechs" are in this game. I really don't see the point of them. Their main gun is less powerfull than the tank's, they are huge and impossible not to miss, their armor is no great shakes, for all their size they only hold two people, and it is very difficult to shoot while moving with them.

This is just a demo, so a lot of features and weapons are not available. I will probably buy it, but it may not be for everyone if they are not into science fiction shooters.

Tvov
10-17-2006, 14:19
Another update on BattleField2142! This is interesting... looks like EA is taking internet tracking to the "next level". The link below should be a picture of the note that is included with the retail version of the game (as far as anything on the internet can be believed). My understanding is that there are going to be advertisements in the game, and they will change as you play. I guess the advertisers and/or EA games will be tracking you for advertising purposes as you play. One interesting note is the phrase at the end of the note, saying that playing the game on ANY platform that can connect with the internet means that you agree to their terms.

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fms/Image.php?image=http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/images/news/igavy2.jpg

tgtshuter
10-22-2006, 15:57
Thanks for the info Tvov.

I've enjoyed the BF series, but I'll reserve judgement on 2142 until I play it.

I downloaded the demo, but played for just a few minutes. My initial impression was Halo-type game, which isn't to my liking.

I wonder if the sci-fi theme will attract more younger players while turning off older players? That would be a bummer.

But...I have to play it to get a valid opinion.