Mossberg 500 ML barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 ML barrel

StockGlock23
10-09-2006, 23:24
So I just bought a rifled/canitlever mount for my Mossy 500 and I will be sighting it in this weekend. As I look around the internet I keep bumping into the .50 cal. muzzleloader barrels that are for sale that convert a 500 into a ML. Has anybody here ever tried one of these? It would be interesting to use one and realistically that would turn my shotgun into a truly "all around N. America gun." It seems that these barrels can be readily had for less than $100 and it would make a great replacement for my confounded .54 cal ML.

vafish
10-10-2006, 06:10
I really like my .54 cal muzzle loader.

I haven't used the Mossberg conversion barrel, my one big hesitation would be cleaning the shotgun after using black powder in it.

The new blackpowder substitutes like 777 would be my choice.

noway
10-10-2006, 10:20
Will if you get one let us know how it works. I heard good thing about these combo setup but to be quite frank I never heard of anybody actually using one. Most perfer a dedicated MLZ'er .

StockGlock23
10-10-2006, 14:25
Originally posted by vafish
I really like my .54 cal muzzle loader.

I haven't used the Mossberg conversion barrel, my one big hesitation would be cleaning the shotgun after using black powder in it.

The new blackpowder substitutes like 777 would be my choice.

I did not think about the cleaning issue to be honest. However, if the barrel works how I am picturing it in my mind the only way for powder to get to the action of the guin is throught the primer hole in the breech plug. I am assuming that the barrel simply has a tiny hole where a #209 primer would sit. If that is the case than almost no powder residue could get to the back of the action adn trigger assy.

Michigun
10-12-2006, 18:26
I purchased the Mossy ML barrel for my brothers Mossy 12-gage a few years back... it actually works REAL well & shoots way better then what I can with irons only. I just wish it would have taken off so there might have been a cantilever version.

And you're on the right track StockGlock23, none of the powder used in the barrel gets into the receiver area on the Mossy.