Can I replace my Pontiac window motor? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace my Pontiac window motor?

emt1581
10-13-2006, 10:44
I took the door panel off of my 2003 pontiac sunfire and found no loose ground wires or anything of the sort.

The window motor keeps failing and needs replacement. I called a local place (that I trust) and they said that it would be 200-300 to replace it but said it wouldn't take much time to do.

I'm wondering if I can do it myself and if there are instructions online to do it?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

wolfy692005
10-13-2006, 17:47
i am sure there are online instructions somewhere but i am not savy enought to find them... the little motors are usually straight forward... 2 or sometimes 3 bolts hold it to the door the gear meshes with the window and the plug unsnaps and resnaps... taking the door panel off always takes me longer..

Warp
10-16-2006, 14:14
You can do it. Those damn GM window motors are notorious for failing. Only bad part on my car.

They go out in F-bodies all the time as well. I have replaced one on my Camaro and had one replaced by the dealer already...and am about to replace one of them again. I am using window motors from autozone now, they have a lifetime replacement warranty and cost <$100.

To change them all I needed was very basic screwdriver type tools and a drill to drill out the rivets.

I will see if I can find the online directions, it might be very similer in your car.

emt1581
10-16-2006, 14:30
Originally posted by Warp
You can do it. Those damn GM window motors are notorious for failing. Only bad part on my car.

They go out in F-bodies all the time as well. I have replaced one on my Camaro and had one replaced by the dealer already...and am about to replace one of them again. I am using window motors from autozone now, they have a lifetime replacement warranty and cost <$100.

To change them all I needed was very basic screwdriver type tools and a drill to drill out the rivets.

I will see if I can find the online directions, it might be very similer in your car.

Interesting. I've had a ton of problems with my Pontiac. Mostly factory/repairshop screwups, but GM is horrible to deal with. I figure if I can find the directions and the work isn't too technical, I can do it myself. I'd really appreciate any how-to guides.

Thanks!!!

-Emt1581

Warp
10-16-2006, 14:38
I have no idea how close the Sunfire will be to this:

http://www.shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

There is a better writeup somewhere else I will look for.

I did not need nor use a C-clamp. It took me one hour the first time I did it, having no idea what I was doing and wasting time trying to take the wiring harness out of the motor before drilling it comletely out and then removing the harness through the speaker panel hole.