Possibly moving to Texas... help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Possibly moving to Texas... help

LongGoneDays
10-15-2006, 09:41
I don't have a Louisiana carry license, but I was about to get one. Now I may be moving to Texas in the next year.

In Texas I cannot open carry, nor can I car carry without a TX CHL. These are freedoms I have here so the license wasn't a pressing issue.

If I get the LA license, I have to give it up when I move. To get the Texas license I have to actually live there (which I don't).

That would take awhile... gun always left at home. Umm, no ?

Is the non-resident license just for out of state people that visit often or work in Texas ? I'm thinking my best bet is to apply for a non resident license and have it for any trips before the move, and have it during the period that I live there and get my CHL. I'm just guessing that would be a valid license to carry concealed in my own state as well, but it's confusing.

I heard some people were getting Florida non resident licenses because it was cheaper, but I'd heard they were trying to stamp that out.

Any advice ?

bluelineman
10-15-2006, 19:00
I do not have a good answer to your questions. I do have a link for the travelling issue. I believe that most people do say that this allows one to carry a gun in their car without a CHL. I could be wrong. I have a CHL, so I'm not worried about it. Here's the link. I think they intentionally left things fuzzy.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/Traveling.pdf

corona
10-16-2006, 13:14
It also depends on where in Texas you end up. Some of the local DAs vowed to basically igore the car carry law for those that do not have a CHL.

rattfink1
10-16-2006, 13:45
Originally posted by longgonedays
I don't have a Louisiana carry license, but I was about to get one. Now I may be moving to Texas in the next year.

In Texas I cannot open carry, nor can I car carry without a TX CHL. These are freedoms I have here so the license wasn't a pressing issue.

If I get the LA license, I have to give it up when I move. To get the Texas license I have to actually live there (which I don't).

Is the non-resident license just for out of state people that visit often or work in Texas ? I'm thinking my best bet is to apply for a non resident license and have it for any trips before the move, and have it during the period that I live there and get my CHL. I'm just guessing that would be a valid license to carry concealed in my own state as well, but it's confusing.

I heard some people were getting Florida non resident licenses because it was cheaper, but I'd heard they were trying to stamp that out.

Any advice ?

I say get a florida non-resident license. Then when you move to Texas get your CHL and just let your florida license expire. Texas has full reciprocity with Florida so there should not be any issue.

Sidhe
10-19-2006, 17:42
Originally posted by longgonedays

Any advice ?

A few comments. Yes, you CAN carry in your vehicle, WITHOUT a CHL here in Texas. It falls under the 'travelling' law and you only need to keep it concealed in the vehicle (which is NOT the same as conceal carry via a CHL).
http://www.nraila.org/CurrentLegislation/Read.aspx?ID=1716

Additionally, you do NOT have to live here to get a Texas CHL, that changed also (possibly this last year?):
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf
Scroll down to p. 5 Non-resident License

Reciprocity with Lousiana:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr083198.htm

That should get you started, hope that helps.

Kat

LongGoneDays
10-21-2006, 09:10
Thanks guys, especially Sidhepro.

This is basically what I was looking for.

to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of a state another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state

Sounds like to me I go ahead and apply for the non resident license and that covers me in Louisiana now, for trips to Texas, and after I move to Texas and wait to obtain a residents license.

OneEyedDrunk
10-22-2006, 15:16
One other option would be to get a Utah nonresident Concealed Weapon Permit. I moved from California, and got the permit before I did. Now I carry on the Utah permit in Texas!!

LongGoneDays
11-01-2006, 11:44
After a lot of reading and a lot of headache, K-12Glock19's idea seems to be the best one for me.

Of course there are no instructors in the state of Louisiana that are recognized by Utah as teaching a course to get their license.

The closest one in Texas is a 5 hour drive from me. So I started looking in Arkansas and all were as far or further. Then I found an instructor that I feel comfortable with, about 3 hours away.

In the same town as where I have some friends that live. Classes are 7 hours long and held on Saturdays. Go up Friday, visit, go to class on Saturday, drive home.

The non resident license covers me here in Louisiana , appears to be better than an LA license, and I can keep it when I move to Texas. Just pay a fee to have the address changed.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

whiskey_moodz
02-14-2007, 10:56
Sorry to hijack...
But where does one find a nonresident application? So far all I have found is resident applications

Thanks