Need advice... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice...

dogcaller
10-17-2006, 06:59
Going out with buddies for a long overdue 3-day quail/predator hunt. We're each bringing food for one day. Does anyone have any particularly good and easy to prepare meals/recipes to suggest? We'll be in a travel trailer, so there's a small stove, etc. I'm no chef but I know there has to be some easy to fix but killer meals...

Thanks!!

(I'll post pics of the hunt when I get back!)

lethal tupperwa
10-17-2006, 09:28
make it at home or just open cans at the trailer.

Frozen ground beef will keep in a cooler. Thaw and cook in the same pan.

Freeze it in zip-loc bags. Flatten it so that it thaws faster.

Pasta boil salted water use store bought sauce as easy as it gets.

UTKEngineer
10-17-2006, 16:32
Lethal posted a lot of good ideas. If you're looking for something w/ a little more range, google backpacking recipe's.

The emphasis here is on a good mix of protein, carbs, fats, and sugars to keep you going on the trail (or in the field in your case).

What I usually do is go to the local store and head down the freeze-dried aisle. Grab a box of red beans n rice, black beans n rice, jambalaya, pretty much anything in the 7 oz pre-cooked weight range who's directions read:

Combine water and mix. boil x minutes. eat. This makes it easy to cook over a camp stove.

If you head out to this area often, it might be worth investing in a food-dehydrator. You can make pasta or rice based dishes at home and dehydrate them. All you have to do is moisten them w/ boiling water and you've got a great meal. Very light and doesn't need refridgeration.

ETA: W/ a dehydrator you can also make jerky, dried fruit, trail mix, blah blah blah. Sure you've heard this before.

jawjaboy
10-20-2006, 15:26
ETA: W/ a dehydrator you can also make jerky, dried fruit, trail mix,

Yessir!

http://excaliburdehydrator.com/