Wife is getting Medically Discharged from OTS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wife is getting Medically Discharged from OTS

ffhounddog
10-17-2006, 08:56
My wife is at OTS right now and she is being medically discharged for being 15 pounds underweight (BMI) and slightly anemic. I am a 21R3 Captain in the Air Force and I was just trying to figure out what I can do to make her happy. She is 4 classes from getting her Emergency Mangement Degree and I hope she can get on with that and get a job because she wants to work and be an Air Force Spouse. The past 2 years has been "I want to go to OTS and be an officer" so everything I did was to try and help her accomplish that goal so we i am in new ground right now in our relationship as well.

I am just amazed that they wanted her to gain 15 pounds in 4 weeks. She is 106 pounds and she runs worksout and eats like carzy. This is my rant part sorry.

I guess the AF is trying to get rid of you for anything they can right now.

MrMurphy
10-17-2006, 10:59
My squadron lost 3 good officers who had nothing wrong with them.

They're shedding officers all over.

BilltheCat
11-14-2006, 23:07
Sounds like the 70's all over. F-4 pilots were turned into E-4 and E-5 all over the place if they had a few yrs until retirement. I bunked with one E4 who would retire in Major within 6 months and they still RIF'd him.

The Force can be cruel at times.

pilot996
12-12-2006, 21:35
im sorry for the wife of and the thread starter. as for teh second 2 comments, well, thats very disheartening to hear as a perspective OTS student (i find out in feb if im accepted).

Stuka_Pirate
12-13-2006, 18:18
Even the LT's are getting cast off for the slightest imperfections. I'm told they still have to kick out 4000 under the new "force shaping" guidelines.

Fishjager
12-16-2006, 20:26
The Air Force (military) in general can make one mad almost anytime.
My brother was a crew chief on a 130 gunship during Vietnam. He was exposed to a retractable antennas radiation when brought back into the aircraft. When he was discharged his medical report stated he had possible lukemia. Ten years later he passed away from lukemia.
The military denied any benefits until two weeks before he died. He suffered for fifteen months (chemo 6 times), and became bankrupt.
Is the Air Force fair to their own? Don't think so!:sad:

pilot996
12-17-2006, 09:14
I'm told they still have to kick out 4000 under the new "force shaping" guidelines.

yeah, i know they are down sizing but im assuming/hoping they arent reducing the amount of pilots they have (wich is what im going for). ive a pretty strong packet compared to the 10 other candidates from this region, so we will see what happens i suppose.

ffhounddog
12-17-2006, 16:45
Thanks for the replys all. I know it is odd thing but my wife now has a job with the Department of Homeland Security.

Pilot 996
Keep your head up and fly straight. I also wanted to be a pilot but with being with my troops and being deployed has told me that this is where I am needed at this time. Keep your head up and I hope to hear some good things. Do not let anyone tell you you cannot do something. I had 2 LTs work for me and they wanted to fly and now one is at Nav training the other is at Pilot Training. They were told in college they could not fly but they did a good job and now they are going for their dream.

SIOP
01-02-2007, 11:08
Originally posted by BilltheCat
Sounds like the 70's all over. F-4 pilots were turned into E-4 and E-5 all over the place if they had a few yrs until retirement. I bunked with one E4 who would retire in Major within 6 months and they still RIF'd him.

The Force can be cruel at times.

I remember those days well.

My former squadron commander (17 year major) and I both made SSgt on the same list. His line number was a little lower.