What kind of Thermals / Long Underwear is the best? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Thermals / Long Underwear is the best?

nickE10mm
10-17-2006, 10:49
I'm in the market to upgrade my thermals this year and was wondering if anyone here has any preference on nice, high end thermals for cold weather deer hunting.

Thanks!

vafish
10-17-2006, 12:15
Cold weather where?

I see you are from MO, Cold in MO is different than Cold in MN or MI. And all are different than Cold in VA.

What are the temperatures you hunt in, and what type of hunting do you do?

nickE10mm
10-17-2006, 13:19
I move around some but often times "sit" and hang out in different places, so I would say mostly still hunting with some stand hunting in steep Ozark mountain hardwood areas.

Typically, the temps get down to the 20s and 30s during the early mornings and up to the 40s and 50s in the daytime. It can be windy at times and precipitation is always possible.

I deer hunt and hog hunt with some small game hunting.

I think whats important is that I've always used the cheapo walmart thermals since I was younger and I'm feeling the need to upgrade in this department. I'm sure the technology has gotten much better and I was just wondering if there are any brands / designs / products that people have used that they are impressed with.

vafish
10-17-2006, 14:12
Underarmor has an excelent reputation, and the price to go with it.

I use off brand light weight Polypropolyne (sp) long underwear from Walmart. I hunt here in VA and temps sound about the same as yours. I usually wear a pair of insulated jeans over the long underwear and I have a pair of insulated bib overalls that I carry and put on when I get to my stand.

I bought my dad some of the Cabelas heavy weight or polar weight a few years ago for Christmas, he's in his 70's and stand hunts in MN. I just checked Cabelas web site and nothing looks familiar to me.

PMY
10-17-2006, 15:51
I have plenty of long-underwear around, much of which has kept me warm at Lambeau Field in December. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the brand names off the top of my head, and I'm not at home to check the drawer, so I'm no help to you.

I had been looking at the Underarmor stuff lately. Anybody have an opinion whether its worth the $40-60 price tag? (A $100 investment for tops plus bottoms!)

nickE10mm
10-17-2006, 17:04
Thanks for your repsonses so far.... :popcorn:

ajstrider
10-18-2006, 03:59
As someone mentioned before, Underarmor is some really great stuff. For about 120 bucks you can get a pair of the insulated pants and insulated turtle neck shirt. I have a few pairs. If you didn't want to pay that much, just try to find some other brand name on sale. You will probably get what you pay for, just like everything else in this world.

vafish
10-18-2006, 06:04
Originally posted by PMY

I had been looking at the Underarmor stuff lately. Anybody have an opinion whether its worth the $40-60 price tag? (A $100 investment for tops plus bottoms!)

My daughter has a couple of sets of Spandex type long under wear that she wears under her competitive shooting gear.

One set is Under Armor (I think the Heat Gear) and the other is an off brand.

The off brand seems like it is starting to pill up and wear a bit faster than the under armor has, but she hasn't worn out either set yet.

My opinion,

Under Armor is great stuff, if you wear it a lot it's probably worth it, If you wear it half a dozen times then throw it in the drawer until next year, it's probably not worth it.

agarr
10-18-2006, 16:17
Under Armor works. Duck hunted in WA State last January. Zero degrees and I was warm with the other layers.

I also use Cabela's ECWCS Polartec gear. It is excellent as well.

nickE10mm
10-18-2006, 17:05
Well, I swooped by Bass Pro today and picked up myself some new fleece lined polypropylene RedHead thermals...the Extreme Cold Weather series.... I took vafish's suggestion and figured that since I only REALLY need them for about three weeks out of each year, I could suffice with some less expensive ones. $40.00 total for tops and bottoms.

RedHead Thermals (http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=64275&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults)

I think I made the right decision. I'll probably pick up a full Balaclava style UnderArmor hood next week or so for the hell of it. Thanks for the tips everyone.

ps......did i mention, I've got the FEVER!

cookand
10-30-2006, 00:26
Another big +1 for UnderArmour. The stuff really does work. I'm sure the cheaper versions probably work as good. I'm in AL and use it for deer hunting, and it doesn't get very cold here. I also use it on my annual trip to Arkansas, where it can and has gotten very cold. It works wonders in both settings. The price sucks, but when I can just wear UA and my over camo or waders, its worth every penny.

Dan in Alaska
10-30-2006, 17:08
Yet another vote for Under Armor. I use the stuff while snowmachining. I can work up a terrible sweat while I'm riding, but I never feel damp, and I never feel cold.

We snowmachined in 17-below weather one day. We rode hard and worked up a sweat. When I got back to the truck and took off my jacket (uninsulated) snow and ice came out from INSIDE the jacket! The UnderArmor pulled the moisture off my body, and when it hit the inside of the outer jacket, it froze. It was a pretty odd to feel toasty warm and yet I had ice INSIDE my jacket.

I got my stuff at an Under Armor outlet store. It was 1/2-price. It's, by far, the best stuff I've ever used.

rfb45colt
11-13-2006, 16:19
I live, hunt, snowmobile, ice-fish, and work outside along the border between WI and the U.P. of MI., so I know just a little bit about being in the cold, and how to stay warm. ;) I've been out deer or coyote hunting when the thermometer said -20 degrees (that's below zero). I use long underwear sold at Walmart, and made by Morgan Mills (I just cannot afford that "pricey stuff"). It's dual-layer, with a synthetic material for an inner layer, and a wool blend for the outer layer, and it's completely washing-machine/dryer safe. It's likely not as good as that underarmor stuff, but at $15-$20 for a top or a bottom, I can afford more than one or two sets... in fact, I have about 10 tops and 5 bottoms right now, tops are in two differant sizes for layering. When it's really cold, I might wear two tops at a time, an XXL over an XL. It wicks away sweat very well, which is absolutey necessary when trying to stay warm after physical exertion, like walking to and from deer stands, or coyote hunting while wearing snowshoes. And while hunting deer, or even coyotes, staying as scent-free as possible is mandatory, so I never ever wear the same stuff two days in a row. If I don't want to do laundry after hunting each day, I need something affordable enough to have numerous sets, and it has to keep me warm... and this stuff fits both categories.