Which one for deer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which one for deer?

TSK
10-17-2006, 12:04
If you had these two choices for deer in a non-rifle county, which would it be? A 26" Stoeger 12ga double with slugs or Hawken .50cal Blackpowder? This is in New Hampshire so long-distance shots will be rare. I like the idea of the shotgun so I can go grouse hunting if I have no luck with deer.

vafish
10-17-2006, 12:13
One of the neighboring counties I used to hunt in we had the choice of Shotgun with Buckshot or Blackpowder. I used to hunt with my .54 Cal BP rifle during the firearms season. I had faith in it.

With the choice being slugs or BP I'd probably take the slugs, but I'd use my 870 Pump with rifle sights (maybe even the rifled barrel) instead of a double barreled gun.

noway
10-17-2006, 12:15
1st either would work.

BUT theirs some pro/cons between the 2.

Shotgun like you pointed out would be versitalie ( duck.deer.squirrel,etc,,,)
BP mzl'er 50cal NOT

Shotgun would be more reliable and if the ammo fails you just eject a shell and chamber a new
BP mzl'er 50cal NOT

SG with slugs would typicaly shoot a bigger and heavier projectile.
BP mzl'er 50cal NOT

SG with sabot/foster slugs have more energys and more at those long distance
BP mzl'er 50cal NOT

Now for some PROs fo the Mzl'er

Mzl'er would be typically more accurate at greater distances
12ga shotgun NOT

Mzl'er would be lesser of the two evils in recoil
12ga shotgun NOT

Mzl'er are typically lighter than their 12ga pumps or most semi-autos
12ga shotgun NOT

So to answer your question, what do feel comfortable with? How much experience do you have between the 2 platform? And do you plan on needing a shot past 100-140yards?

Seriously sit down and ask those question and then you will know which would be the better one for YOU ;)

357glocker
10-18-2006, 06:26
All I can say is I would not want to shoot a 12ga slug out of a side by side stoeger. Go with the Hawken if it's reliable.

wanderinwalker
10-18-2006, 08:03
TSK,

If you're hunting a "shotguns only" in New Hampshire, you must be talking over through Nashua/Merrimack/Manchester way. In which case, I'd go with the Hawkens, unless you've got a really lucky spot of land to grouse hunt on.

I'm actually planning on using my MZlder for the whole deer season if need be. It's really not a handicap range-wise around here, that's for sure. I live on the opposite side of the state from the area in question, and we're allowed rifles.

FWIW, most of the really good grouse hunting is up north, but up there you're allowed rifles.

TSK
10-18-2006, 14:18
I do hunt mostly in southern NH but it's funny--I scared up more grouse last year while deer hunting around here than I've ever seen before. Once I walked two miles back to the car just to get the shotty because I flushed three grouse all within 100 yards of the others. That's the dilemma I'm trying to avoid this year. While the Hawken is reliable enough for me, I like the versatility of the 12ga. I do not have a functional pump shotty right now, the Stoeger is all I've got for scatterguns. I have fired three inch magnum slugs out of it before, and you can guess how bad that hurt. But, that was after a day of shooting clays, so, maybe with a big buck in my sights (bead?) I won't even think about recoil. I know most people don't use a double shotgun for deer, but is there really any reason not to? I'm sure through the years people dropped deer with their old reliable break-opens.

vafish
10-18-2006, 19:20
Can you select barrels on the Stoger?

That many grouse would make a good argument for bird shot in one barrel and a slug in the other.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-20-2006, 07:34
Is it legal to carry shot while deer hunting? It is not in NY.

How accurate can you shoot slugs from your double? Go do some practise shots first so you know where you are hitting!

No long range shots? The bead on a shotgun might make 30 yards seem long range.

I would pick which ever one I can shoot more accurately, and not worry about the fact that grouse fly when I deer hunt, and deer walk by when I'm grouse hunting :)

MR. TWISTER
10-21-2006, 07:57
+1 double barrel STOEGER- Nice guns for the $$
Brandon

TSK
10-24-2006, 07:24
I got a great deal--private sale, used one season, $250. I like ithaca_deerslayer's point of view. Deer hunt or grouse hunt. But, I do tend to walk far from the car...and when those grouse scare up I can't help but chase 'em! Decisions, decisions.

Rustydude
11-01-2006, 18:27
Stuff the shotgun with 00 buck, let them get close, say 30yards. Two shots are plenty, and waterproof.