Deer Calling [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deer Calling

HEMI 27
10-17-2006, 19:49
Just bought a Primos Still Gunter today and have no idead how to properly use it. I have been looking around the web and found some helpful sites but was wondering if any of you guys have had any luck or know any tips on using these things.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-20-2006, 07:40
That's a good question. Wish I had a video that shows the different types of grunt calling (and some explanations of what the calls are doing). Anyone know of one?

Having said that, I've used a very low pitched "grunt...grunt" from the call and had it work. I haven't used it to sit there and call in deer from nowhere. But when I was bow hunting from the ground I had a buck walk in on me and as I tried to draw he said uh oh and turned around. Then I used the call, and he came right back. Tried to draw again and he turned around again, then I called and he came back again. You get the picture.

alwaysshootin
10-20-2006, 14:23
that actually brought in a buck! That is rattling horns, and Primos " the little can" doe bleat. I have never had success drawing in a buck with a grunt call, not to say it can't be done. Those two things I mentioned though, I have seen bucks come a runnin from over a hunded yards away.

8-Ball
10-26-2006, 15:55
I picked up a new call to try this year, it's called the "Buck Growl" by M.A.D. It comes with a DVD that shows everything from deer in the wild making the "growl" to the creator using the call and being successful with it. It even shows you how to use the call properly.

I figured for $15 it's worth a shot.:)

8-Ball
10-26-2006, 16:04
Originally posted by alwaysshootin
that actually brought in a buck! That is rattling horns, and Primos " the little can" doe bleat. I have never had success drawing in a buck with a grunt call, not to say it can't be done. Those two things I mentioned though, I have seen bucks come a runnin from over a hunded yards away.

I brought this daddy in from about 75yds with a grunt last year.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8718/buck3415x311op8.jpg

:banana:

bassman-dan
10-26-2006, 16:35
I've called in deer several times using grunt calls. I don't call randomly but usually to get a buck closer or to have him step out of the brush.
I only use it sparingly and keep it as low in volume as possible (unless they're really far away)- they have fabulous hearing. Just a couple of short 2-3 second grunts back-to-back is a technique that has worked for me though it isn't an exact science and other methods also work...when the timing is right. The bucks that I have heard grunting were also very low in volume and sounded very gutteral, much like a hog.
Now, I won't go into the woods without my grunt call.
I haven't had any luck with "the can" but know several successful hunters who swear by it.
I would suggest you pick up a Primos deer hunting video at Academy or WalMart to see how they're used. They are very entertaining.