Gears of War and COD3 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War and COD3

Strider47
10-19-2006, 10:17
Who's gonna be in line on November 8th. :) One of the local EB Games has a preview night this Saturday for Gears of War. Can't wait!

jason10mm
10-19-2006, 14:33
I pre-ordered Gears of War. I figure Call of Duty 3, Rainbow Six 3, Woo's Stranglehold, and Star Trek:Legacy should be on the shelves for me whenever I choose to get them. But GoW has a ton of press and may be scarse at first. I have a three day holiday that weekend, so I want GoW first!

Personally, I'm planning on a major decubitus ulcer after x-mas, 'cause my ass is gonna be xboxing for weeks!

kswiss2783
11-04-2006, 08:28
I'm getting COD3 on tuesday. I didn't preorder, but Walmart, Bestbuy, EB, or Gamestop should have a copy in. I will be at those stores bright and early.

I want to rent GOW before I buy. I am also getting THP8 on Tuesday.

herose
11-04-2006, 21:07
Played COD and COD United Offensive on my computer. Bought COD 2 and loaded up only to get the message "not enough video memory".

My computer is a Dell inspiron 5160 1 year old and when I ordered it I thought that I ordered with the most of everything that could be put in it. But I couldn't play COD 2 guess I probably can't play COD 3 unless someone has some suggestions.

Anyone?

zzzarkt
11-06-2006, 15:43
Originally posted by herose
Played COD and COD United Offensive on my computer. Bought COD 2 and loaded up only to get the message "not enough video memory".

My computer is a Dell inspiron 5160 1 year old and when I ordered it I thought that I ordered with the most of everything that could be put in it. But I couldn't play COD 2 guess I probably can't play COD 3 unless someone has some suggestions.

Anyone?

This is why it's easier to drop $400 on an XBOX 360 and know for sure that it is going to work. :supergrin:

Also COD 3 is console-only. It won't be on P.C., that is the word so far anyway.

Sorry COD 2 isn't working for ya, it is a great game.

herose
11-06-2006, 23:53
Oh Yeah the 360 is next on my list. Especially since the wife is going to be using the computer to work at nights now.

Tvov
11-07-2006, 20:14
What are the specs for your computer? Is the hard disk full, or close to it? What kind of video card do you have? It may work with an aftermarket video card, if you don't have one already.

Strider47
11-09-2006, 12:34
Update: Gears of War is absolutely terrific! I've been playing co-op online and is truly a fun game. The graphics are stunning and this is the first 3PS that I actually enjoy.

I haven't even popped CoD3 in yet I'm having so much fun with GoW.

jason10mm
11-13-2006, 12:22
GOW is a blast, hardcore difficulty is quite the challenge!

COD3 is good so far, but my one session ended with a freeze. Hopefully it remembered where I was. I hear freezing is pretty common with this game.

Whats the deal with Live updates the day the games are released?

Can't wait for R6:Vegas, this is gonna be a shooter winter for sure!

Tvov
11-13-2006, 16:32
Originally posted by jason10mm
Whats the deal with Live updates the day the games are released?

I think that is becoming common. I figure the games are just getting more and more complicated (graphics, AI, etc)... But more so is probably the game companies wanting to get the games released, before all the bugs are worked out. Battlefield 2142 came out with a patch basically before the game was released!

SkaOG
11-14-2006, 15:39
Gear of Wars looks very cool. To bad My Xbox sucks and I dont plan on getting a new system.

Strider47
11-16-2006, 10:26
I tried CoD3 the last couple of nights and I'm not happy with the online play. The campaign is pretty good. I guess it'll take some getting used to, but I really prefer CoD2 (online MP).

zzzarkt
11-16-2006, 21:14
Originally posted by Strider47
I tried CoD3 the last couple of nights and I'm not happy with the online play. The campaign is pretty good. I guess it'll take some getting used to, but I really prefer CoD2 (online MP).

I agree completely, COD 3 online is a travesty. they throw away everything good about COD 2 online (most popular Xbox 360 online game BTW) and release what is basically a clone of battlefield 2.

Activision owes me $60.

:steamed:

jason10mm
11-17-2006, 07:10
Isn't COD3 made by a different developer than COD2? I don't play much online so I can't comment on the changes.

Strider47
11-17-2006, 12:25
Yep, different developer. The game is too different for me. I guess I'll be trading it in for RS3:Vegas.

The graphics are great, but the online game play has been neutered IMO. The weapons look and act different and the physics are totally different than CoD2, of course this goes for campaign as well. Seems like they tried to make a WWII Halo.

Nicky D
11-19-2006, 15:53
I'm waiting on GOW to arrive in the mail, really looking forward to this game, have great things about it. COD3 is on my list to get, but there are just too many games right now and not enough time! I just recently bought Saint's Row & Splinter Cell, now GOW is on the way! I need a multi-disc player so I can easily rotate through games.

DreamWeaver88
11-23-2006, 14:55
I have both games and really enjoy both of them. I usually don't care too much for the shoot the monsters type games, but GOW is fun, especially the co-op online play. Better than the crap that was called Halo 2.

COD3 is great in 1 player mode and online, IMO. I really like playing WAR online.

You can't go wrong with either one.....but the best is to have both. :)

DW

Hickeroar
11-29-2006, 14:12
I just beat gears of war last night. The game is absolutely amazing. Especially so when played on an HDTV. The HD graphics are just breathtaking.

Epic really created something great here. What's Halo again? :-P

GoW was one of the best games I've ever played... Hands down. It defeinitely had the best graphics of any game I've ever played as well. The seamless co-op campaign playthrough over XBOX Live is freaking amazing. The most fun i've ever had in a video game.

I used to be a PC gamer, but in the past two years I've been slowly moving over to consoles. There's just something nice about not having to keep up with the hardware race anymore.

jason10mm
11-29-2006, 15:52
I beat it last night as well :)

I thought the game was great, but the environments were a little bland (dull color palate and mostly urban settings) and there was no real story. The whole "Serve the Queen" and "We MUST fight this war" stuff came out of nowhere. I know they say there will be sequels with more story, but compared to Halo it is weak.

Nicky D
11-30-2006, 22:56
I just got it last week and love it. It is an incredible game, they came through for all the hype that was out there. I am only just starting campaign #3 on casual, I tried starting the game on hardcore and was having my ***** handed to me.

Hickeroar
12-01-2006, 09:48
Originally posted by Nicky D
I just got it last week and love it. It is an incredible game, they came through for all the hype that was out there. I am only just starting campaign #3 on casual, I tried starting the game on hardcore and was having my ***** handed to me.

Yeah no kidding. I was taken aback by how much harder the game is on hardcore compared to casual. I don't think I'll ever try it on "insane." I'm having trouble with the replay value at this point. I've basically beat the game twice using co-op and the regular online play bores me. I'm afraid I'm losing interest now.

bac1023
12-01-2006, 19:09
Gears is an amazing game.

Night61181
12-07-2006, 00:24
If you think Hardcore is bad beat it and try it on Insane. Its about 3 times harder i was doing alright through most of Hardcore. Hit a couple of areas where they would hand my *** to me but on Insane im constantly getting killed. awesome game love the 2 player co-op.

Hickeroar
12-10-2006, 21:22
Originally posted by Night61181
If you think Hardcore is bad beat it and try it on Insane. Its about 3 times harder i was doing alright through most of Hardcore. Hit a couple of areas where they would hand my *** to me but on Insane im constantly getting killed. awesome game love the 2 player co-op.

Yeah. I finally got a chance to finish up Act 2 on hardcore. It seems relatively easy after playing online a lot. Playing on line is a sure way to get beat to pieces...

I'm giving thought to trying the game on insane... I'm going to at least try it anyway...

Hickeroar
12-15-2006, 11:18
Beat the game on hardcore last night and went on to beat act 1 on insane. I was surprised by how much easier insane was than I expected it to be. That's not to say it's EASY, but I expected "stick out your head and lose it" and i got "stick out your head, fire for 3 seconds and ALMOST lose it." It only took a little under an hour and a half to beat act 1 on insane...

The hardest part was the dried up fountain right before the first split playing... I was fine through all of that but I kept ending up with coop players that would get killed constantly. One guy had NEVER played GoW before and he joined up with an insane coop game. He didnt even know how to aim his gun or take cover.

I eventually got someone half-way decent and we beat the rest of act one from there. I still had to revive him about 15-20 times because he had the whole "get as close to the enemy as possible" mentality... It's a 3rd person TACTICAL shooter here people...

Nicky D
12-15-2006, 18:09
I just suck compared to you guys. I am stuck on casual trying to kill RAAM. I am trying SP, no coop, and I keep getting killed. Very frustrating! I can't wait to see this on insane some day in the future:shocked:

Hickeroar
12-17-2006, 11:00
Use the torque bow and go for the head. The AI *SUCKS* when you're trying to kill RAAM. With the torque bow to the head, you should kill him in 6 shots or less, assuming you land them all. I did this in hardcore and it took him out very quickly...

Nicky D
12-18-2006, 07:16
Originally posted by Hickeroar
Use the torque bow and go for the head. The AI *SUCKS* when you're trying to kill RAAM. With the torque bow to the head, you should kill him in 6 shots or less, assuming you land them all. I did this in hardcore and it took him out very quickly...

Thanks for the tip. I finally nailed him yesterday on casual with the sniper rifle and the lancer dealt the final shots. I am starting hardcore now and will try the torque bow this time.

Hickeroar
12-18-2006, 13:27
Thanks for the tip. I finally nailed him yesterday on casual with the sniper rifle and the lancer dealt the final shots. I am starting hardcore now and will try the torque bow this time.

I hated the torque bow the first time i played the game. Playing on hardcore I fell in love with it. It's also worth mentioning that you can charge the bow while you're crouched and then hit LT to pop up when you're ready to fire it.

Also, you'll find that Hardcore isn't as hard as you expect. This is mainly because you're a lot better at the game now than when you started it. If you play through the beginning on casual, you'll be amazed how much easier the first "cut through the door" scene is...

Nicky D
12-19-2006, 19:18
Originally posted by Hickeroar
I hated the torque bow the first time i played the game. Playing on hardcore I fell in love with it. It's also worth mentioning that you can charge the bow while you're crouched and then hit LT to pop up when you're ready to fire it.

Also, you'll find that Hardcore isn't as hard as you expect. This is mainly because you're a lot better at the game now than when you started it. If you play through the beginning on casual, you'll be amazed how much easier the first "cut through the door" scene is...

Your not kidding with how much easier it is on hardcore since I played through already. I have already completed act 1 with only a couple of spots that I was killed a few times. I even killed the 1st Berserker really fast on hardcore, on casual it took forever.

Hickeroar
12-20-2006, 08:06
Your not kidding with how much easier it is on hardcore since I played through already. I have already completed act 1 with only a couple of spots that I was killed a few times. I even killed the 1st Berserker really fast on hardcore, on casual it took forever.

Yeah... The nice thing about the berserker is that it's not any harder on different diffuculty levels...

I beat it on insane the other day and it was just as dumb as it was during casual. The "bosses" really aren't that hard to beat in this game.