How and where should I hunt deer in a flood? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How and where should I hunt deer in a flood?

NYGunman
10-20-2006, 10:52
Right now we are receiving some heavy rains. These rains are going to flood most of the area I hunt. The water will be up about 2 to 5 feet. Where should I hunt when it stops tommorrow? I know of a bedding area that will be surrounded by water? Should I focus on that? Any tips or tricks?

I know the area really well and will probably take my boat out if the water is deeper than 2 feet. If it is less than that I will wade. The flooded area generally does not have much of a current.

gruntmedik
10-20-2006, 11:37
How large of an area would be flooded? I think I would still focus on the feeding areas and travel corridors between them. Some places have restrictions on shooting deer in the water, but I have no idea if that would apply to a flooded area or not.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-20-2006, 13:12
Might also want to do a quick check of DEC regs, there might be something about shooting deer in water or from a boat.

Luckily, I'm on the high ground and don't have to worry about too much water.

NYGunman
10-20-2006, 14:27
Originally posted by ithaca_deerslayer
Might also want to do a quick check of DEC regs, there might be something about shooting deer in water or from a boat.

Luckily, I'm on the high ground and don't have to worry about too much water. I think I might have confused everyone. I won't be hunting from my boat. I might use it to get to the areas safely. I also won't shoot a swiming deer as it is against the law.

Mostly I'm wondering about the deer behavior patters. Things like if they will stick around on the small hills protruding out of the water or travel miles to higher ground.

One bottle neck I like to hunt will be under 3 or more feet of water. I doubt they will travel that but I do not know. There feeding area will be mostly underwater.

noway
10-21-2006, 16:50
Will I'm in SEflorida and we have alot of water. This is a good question and here's my observation for over 6 years of hunting in SE and SouthCentral florida where in the early season we have standing water for most of the time;

> I've seen on more than 10 fingers deer standing in water 2-3ft to avoid hunters

> I've seen deer swim to maleuca islands to avoid water

> I 've seem deer swim creeks and small stream with ease to get to other side of the water barrier to aovid hunters

Now like cats, most deer will avoid water , but if they need to get into it to avoid being place on a wall mount, they will take to water like a Louisana skift to a bayou ;)

Now if it's flooded and no hunting pressure and on private land. I would target the high dry areas. Still regardless you should use natural signs such as; foot prints, fresh scats, known bedding areas, known food grazing area.