Glock question for you folks just back from (or currently in) the Sandbox [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock question for you folks just back from (or currently in) the Sandbox

bharen
10-21-2006, 06:31
I recently listened to an archived interview with Ted Nugent played on NRANews.com. He was talking about the USO tours he's made in Iraq and (I believe) Afghanistan and he commented that he carries a Glock when he goes over. Not sure how he gets it into or out of country...

Question for you folks most recently over there: how common are Glocks in either country? Are they common use with coalition forces, contractors or local military/police? How do they seem to hold up in all the dust and grit?

Juell
10-21-2006, 06:39
IF he really carries one, I'd imagine he gets it from the country he's in. I know bringing personal weapons is a no-go for most of the military, and I could only imagine the USO wouldn't go for it.
And at least in Iraq, Glocks aren't too hard to come by. We've found quite a few on insurgents in B-dad. (probably got 'em from the IP's)

bharen
10-21-2006, 07:19
Originally posted by Juell
IF he really carries one, I'd imagine he gets it from the country he's in. I know bringing personal weapons is a no-go for most of the military, and I could only imagine the USO wouldn't go for it.

My thoughts exactly. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with entertainers carrying something for personal protection but I know institutionally the DoD has some serious issues with it.

Back in '03 I was at CRC at Benning with a huge group of contractors and DoD civilians processing for deployment. One day they pulled out all the DoD civilians and sent them to the range to familiarize with the M9. We contractors asked, "Hey, what about us?" The lawyers doing the Geneva Convention/Laws of Land Warfare briefs stated that as contractors we would not be authorized to carry weapons in Iraq. Some smarmy JAG major commented that "of course you have the universal right of self defense, but current CENTCOM policy is that contractors do not get issued and are not allowed to carry weapons". Since I was a direct contractor (I worked for 3rd Army HQ at the time) I knew the soldiers I was going over to work with and knew I'd have no trouble 'borrowing' a weapon. Still, the Army's attitude towards firearms and personal protection bothers me to this day.

jmshady
10-21-2006, 12:53
Alot of the KBR security guys were carring glocks that I saw.

Postal Patron
10-24-2006, 10:22
Scandanavian countries (Norway, Denmark) use Glocks and I forget about Sweden. All NATO and Sweden are in Afghanistan in Kabul.

cgrivois
10-28-2006, 13:03
Just about all of the PSD companies Im seeing over here now are carying glocks. All the IP (Iraqi Police) are carying Glocks. Have had quite a few of them offer to trade thier glock for my Beretta. Which of course if I could I would. Ive heard several cases where the higher up Iraqi brass give glocks to thier friends, then come up short in thier arms room. These people are so friggin corupt, which is why this place will allways be the way it is. OK im off my soap box now. Oh yeah, Ted is the man. Hope he comes while Im over here.

jobe1911
10-30-2006, 19:31
yep, IP's where issued glocks. most of the IP's that I had ran into, most didn't have any ammo due to the firing thier pistols in the air.

i was asked quite a few times by the IP's if i wanted to buy thier glocks.

funny...

cgrivois
10-31-2006, 00:06
Yeah they bug you for ammo constantly. I just tell them my Beretta 9mm ammo doesnt work in glocks. Usualy they live me alone after that.

.45greg
11-01-2006, 10:48
Originally posted by jobe1911
yep, IP's where issued glocks. most of the IP's that I had ran into, most didn't have any ammo due to the firing thier pistols in the air.

i was asked quite a few times by the IP's if i wanted to buy thier glocks.

funny...

im just curious how much were they willing to sell them for? and also lets say you aquired one, could you carry it? One of my guys was working with the Iraqis and he carried a glock for a while until more and more restrictions from his COC prevented it.

Flinter
11-01-2006, 19:48
The few, and I mean very few that somehow managed to get a Glock in our brigade were the envy of all. The M-9, while a well made and built pistol, is not proving to be popular, not that it ever really was. I really hope that the US Military wakes up and adopts one of the Glock models, preferably in a chambering that starts with a .4. I'm not holding my breath though. :shocked:

youngsta614
11-11-2006, 19:38
a bunch of marines that i was station with carried glocks...not sure which model but it was a 9mil. the marines were training the IP's with the glock, so im assuming the IP had them too.

{TEX}Hawaii 5-0
11-13-2006, 17:31
No Glocks for us conventional military types. Many of the contracted security guys, SF, and others carried them. Also, the Iraqi Police are outfitted witht the mid sized 9mm.

RLTW

Juell
11-14-2006, 07:29
Originally posted by .45greg
im just curious how much were they willing to sell them for? and also lets say you aquired one, could you carry it? One of my guys was working with the Iraqis and he carried a glock for a while until more and more restrictions from his COC prevented it.
I've talked to one of our interpereters about how much they can get guns for "On the street" and apperently glocks can go for $800-$1000 around here. An AK for about $200, and a pump shotgun for about $150.
I also asked him if he could get me a gold plated AK, and he just laughed and said "I'd have sold it already if I ever found one!"
We've found a number of Glocks in raids though, the IP's sell them quite often to the bad guys.
I'd rather have haj shoot at me with a pistol rather than an AK anyways! Which reminds me of a story I may have to tell ya all when I get back, but OPSEC and all that for now.;)
BTW, in my Brigade M-9's are all we can carry so far as pistols are concerned. This was specifically pointed out.

Postal Patron
11-14-2006, 09:17
One of our units let our terps run around with AKs alone and it freaked me out, since I didn't know who they were driving around in our vehicles. This was done on Jomhe, so they could go to mosque. We put out a policy that terps could not carry weapons, since they could come into camp and start shooting up the place. Terps, although more educated, do not mix with weapons.

Although in Afghanistan, the main pistols are Makarovs and other Soviet style. AKs come thru pakistan and are often refurbished.