Which vehicle should I keep? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which vehicle should I keep?

alphacat
10-26-2006, 19:09
I have two vehicles and can only drive one a time so I've been thinking about getting rid of one.

Which one do you all think I should keep?

I have a 1997 Ford F150 short bed step side with a cap on it.
It has around 50000 miles on it and is paid for.

The second one is a 2003 Chevy Impala loaded with about 45000 miles on it, but I owe 7500.00 on it.

Should I sell the truck and pay the money on the Impala or

get rid of the Impala and keep the truck???

Rob1035
10-26-2006, 19:34
It depends. If you spend more time with the bed of the truck with crap in it, keep the truck. If you spend more time with the truck empty, keep the impala...

in other words, if you actually use the truck as a truck, keep that.

Ljunatic
10-26-2006, 19:58
I work in a transmission shop, so I see things from that perspective. The 4T65E trans in your Impala has been the number one unit rebuilt in our shop in the last year.

The problems develop around 50-60k with the pressure control boost sleeve and valve wearing out. This usually results in code P1811 setting due to long shift ET's, and then the trans defaults to high pressure and shifts very firm. It can also be the cause of a shudder on a hard take off due to insufficient line pressure rise.

Google: P1811 and you will get all the info you can stand

The other problems are with the torque converter pressure limit valve and the actuator feed limit valve.

4th Clutch hub splines are not hard enough and are often stipped, resulting in no 4th gear.

I have seen many cars with all of these problems at once at around 80k.

All these can be fixed permanently with some aftermarket kits from Sonnax, but it don't come cheap,

so....if ot was me, I would peddle the Impala now, or be prepared to fix it when it does develop problems.

Nice car otherwise.

GLOCK23DK
10-26-2006, 19:58
Is the truck 4x4? In Indiana, Id imagine you guys get snow...so if the truck is 4x4, I would keep the truck.

alphacat
10-26-2006, 21:36
No, the truck is more of a car then a truck.

Sure am sorry to hear about the trans problems in the Impala, that might be the deciding factor for me to get rid of it.

The truck is a 2 wheel drive.

I bought it back in 97 an made 7 payments on it before I got disabled from my job, I'm sure thankful I paid for the insurance to pay for it in case anything happened...:banana:

I think I'll see if can get any nibbles on the Chevy.

Thanks all.

alphacat