Hunting does [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting does

stooxie
10-27-2006, 17:59
Hello all!

I am planning on doing some deer hunting as soon as the firearms season opens here in Virginia. I have yet to be successful, although I have learned a great deal from prior outings and mistakes and figure I have a decent chance this time.

The place where I'll be hunting has no restrictions on antlerless versus antlered.

If I see some trophy buck (yeah, right), sure I'll aim for it but I'm most likely to see yearling bucks and maybe some decent does. Virginia is known for light deer anyway.

Seeing as my goal is really just to get something and put some good meat on the table, is there any shame in popping a doe if the opportunity presents itself? I mean, the hunting license has more spots for antlerless than it does for antlered so it clearly can't be that bad.

Just thought I'd ask around.

Thanks!
-Stooxie

noway
10-27-2006, 19:32
{Seeing as my goal is really just to get something and put some good meat on the table, is there any shame in popping a doe if the opportunity presents itself? }

meat is meat and you can't eat antler ;)

Why should one have any shame in hunting a doe? personally I would rather take a doe than a buck anyday of the week and specially a young doe or fawn.If I could kill a spot fawn even better ;)

Bill D
10-27-2006, 20:08
Let the bucks walk and grow old with large racks. Does are more tender anyway.
Hunt for meat and then for antlers.

G36's Rule
10-28-2006, 07:12
Shame in taking does? I had hoped that this question had been answered long ago.

The reason there is no restriction on taking does in your area and more tags for does on your license is probably because the wildlife agency in your area wants you to shoot does more than bucks. There is probably a large number of does to bucks and they wish to try to correct it.

As to the meat being better on does, well yes and no. Older does are just as tough as old bucks, maybe worse. Younger deer in general taste better.

In my experience a yearling doe is the best table fare.

If taking does is shameful, man I better start hanging my head low.

:sad:

:thumbsup:

OB1
10-28-2006, 07:28
+1 to all above.

stooxie
10-28-2006, 09:05
Very cool, thanks everyone!

I just had to check. Every book or article you read on the subject always talks about monster bucks, but I guess that's obvious. Filling the freezer doesn't make for good reading, just good eating! :supergrin:

Hopefully on November 18th I'll be eating venison and not pizza!

-Stooxie

vafish
10-28-2006, 18:05
Originally posted by G36's Rule

If taking does is shameful, man I better start hanging my head low.

:sad:

Same here,

I haven't shot a buck in about 3 years. I shoot 2 deer a year.

No shame in putting a doe on the table.

Kasinefect
10-28-2006, 20:51
The surplus number of does is part of the reason that there are so many deer destroying crops, getting hit by cars ect. I belive it is kinder to harvest one deer rather than have more starve due to lack of food caused by overpopulation.

Since I would rather have a rack of ribs in the freezer than a rack of antlers on the wall, does will be my primary target in a few weeks.

noway
10-29-2006, 05:00
Also in most QDM programs they have to cull does to maintain the correct deer buck/ratios and they do this simply by allowing doe tags.

I forgot the ratio but in most place it can be like 10 does to 1 buck or something like that.

Go out and shot an anterless deer and be happy ;)

CanyonMan
10-29-2006, 14:04
I totally agree with all the boys here.....
In fact, the first deer i ever shot, waaaay back, was a big fat Doe.

If Mr. big comes by fine!
But Hoss, do not hesitate to drop the does......NO shame!
Enjoy your steaks! ;)

CanyonMan

isp2605
10-29-2006, 20:08
While that rack on the wall (actually in the basement) may look nice, for eating I prefer a fat doe about 1-3 yrs old. Bucks can often have a strong gamey taste.
And since you mentioned it, I think I take some steaks out of the freezer and thaw them for tomorrow night grill. :eat: :grill:

cookand
10-29-2006, 23:12
Originally posted by Bill D
Let the bucks walk and grow old with large racks. Does are more tender anyway.
Hunt for meat and then for antlers.

Yep. I don't know how it is in VA, but down here in AL we are over run with does. No one wants to shoot them, because they always think "big boy" is right behind them. Its ashame, because we're over populated, and (as said before) doe meat is much better than buck. All that to say, I would personally take much more shame in shooting a small buck (or any yearling for that matter) than I would a doe (and I take no shame in taking a doe, unless she has youngins with her). Happy hunting.

Andy

Guess I should have read a little farther and could have just posted a +1, oh well. :)

daveycrockett
10-30-2006, 01:19
We have anterless hunting open from 10-28 to 11-03. I haven't had a chance to get out there yet. I'm planning on being out there on Tuesday. I'll take the first Doe I see no problem.

noway
10-30-2006, 07:19
{Bucks can often have a strong gamey taste.}

One thing for sure, testosterone will not be a factor in does and the taste of me vrs a buck. Hell yeah a big doe is much better than a big buck ;)

{We have anterless hunting open from 10-28 to 11-03}

We have a 2 day antlerless deer season right before the thanksgiving weekend. I bring the tent/stove and camp out with hopes of getting my 2 anterless deer limits with a handgun. Yes year I killed a young button buck and man it was some good eatin, tho not alot of meat on him but it was some flavorfull meats as far as venision goes ;)

Hummer
10-30-2006, 09:53
Originally posted by stooxie
I am planning on doing some deer hunting as soon as the firearms season opens here in Virginia. I have yet to be successful, although I have learned a great deal from prior outings and mistakes and figure I have a decent chance this time....
Every book or article you read on the subject always talks about monster bucks, but I guess that's obvious. Filling the freezer doesn't make for good reading, just good eating!
I'm in agreement with everyone else here that there's nothing wrong with hunting does and it can be an exciting challenge. The chance of luck not withstanding, there is a real learning curve involved in big game hunting, as you know. Learning from your mistakes will better prepare you for your next opportunities. Given mature buck-doe ratios of 10-25% and that fact that older bucks can be very secretive and often strictly nocturnal, hunting does will dramatically increase your chance of success. Besides bringing home the venison, the experience of success after tracking, stalking, killing and field dressing, etc., will give you encouragement and hasten your progress along the learning curve.

I expect that if more novice hunters hunted does to begin with, many more would continue in the sport. It's a shame that hunting writers don't address this more often. While it is thrilling to take a big antlered deer, any successful hunt is rewarding. Bringing home quality venison year after year is more likely sustain enthusiasm for the hunt than the disappointment of failure to score on a big buck.

Hummer

Kasinefect
10-30-2006, 18:01
I don't know how it is in VA, but down here in AL we are over run with does. No one wants to shoot them, because they always think "big boy" is right behind them. Its ashame, because we're over populated, and (as said before) doe meat is much better than buck. All that to say, I would personally take much more shame in shooting a small buck (or any yearling for that matter) than I would a doe (and I take no shame in taking a doe, unless she has youngins with her). Happy hunting.

Andy

Andy perhaps you recall the special bowhunting lottery at Oak Mtn. State Park a couple of years back? The selected archers had to pass a test to prove they could shoot accuratly. Well everything was fine until very few of the deer that were overrunning the park were killed. the reason? too many knuckleheads after a big buck instead of taking out the does! Obviously this did not help the problem much; and especially after all of the static from the PETA nutjobs. It is my opinion that the "trophy hunters" did not practice good conversation here. Sure if you can take a nice buck go right ahead, but leaving more deer to starve and run amuck in the park was not in my opinion wise. I heard the next hunt was better. This is just my dos centavos.

vafish
10-31-2006, 14:09
Originally posted by isp2605
While that rack on the wall (actually in the basement) may look nice, for eating I prefer a fat doe about 1-3 yrs old. Bucks can often have a strong gamey taste.
And since you mentioned it, I think I take some steaks out of the freezer and thaw them for tomorrow night grill. :eat: :grill:

You still have steaks left from last year?

I shot 2 doe last year and the meat was gone by before March.

This year I bought a Crossbow so I could hunt in our Suburbabn archery season.

Doe only, starts in September and runs through March. But work and the rain have been killing my hunting lately. Only been out twice.

isp2605
10-31-2006, 14:15
Originally posted by vafish
You still have steaks left from last year?
Yup. Also got a couple of road kills too that weren't damaged. Probably don't have but 2-3 packages of chops left. Got the freezer cleaned out just in time for this year.

RJ Schuknecht
10-31-2006, 16:39
Originally posted by stooxie
is there any shame in popping a doe if the opportunity presents itself?In the 6 years I have owned my 42 acres, only 1 of 14 harvested deer was a buck. In most areas of the whitetail's range, the best thing you can do for the health of the herd and habitat is to shoot as many does as you can legally.

GeorgiaGlockMan
10-31-2006, 21:49
Shame in harvesting a doe?

Heck no. Everytime I go hunting, I specifically target does. That is what I tell myself when I gear up in the am.

If I see a buck, all the better, BUT it is always the does that I am really after.

If you hunt the does, the bucks will sooner or later show up hunting the does as well.

Michigun
11-01-2006, 18:32
The farm where I hunt here in MI requires that the 1st deer taken be a doe... after that it's "anything goes"... I got that 1st doe out of the way opening morning (October 1st) of archery season this year... a few days later I took a nice 2-1/2 year old 6-point (Would've been an 8, but he'd been fighting hard!)... & a few days after that I took another doe. Haven't had a chance to get back out sense then, but I'm planning on hitting it hard here again this next week... the rut is about to get into full swing here!

Only 2 tags left for me... one buck tag & one doe tag... trying to fill all my tags in archery season this year.