Anyone having a hard time getting a job? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having a hard time getting a job?

Linh40
10-31-2006, 00:26
Well I ETS last year and still haven't had a job. I know that we get 5 points for being a vet when applying for a Gov job. So I applied to a brunch of them and for some reason they alway found someone that was better. (It's not like I'm not qualified, for example for GS-4 they want someone with 1 year of experience well I got over 3 years in the army. Plus GS-4 pay is less than E-4 pay so I don't get it. I seriously doubt there are a brunch of 10 points vet applying for the same jobs as me. Also it's not my resume because it pass the machine part and a person see my resume. So unless the person hiring is anti-vet or something?

And they say that the Gov hire vets first. I applied for GS-4 and 5 positions and this is going no where.

Oh well if I don't get hired by the next semester I'm starting school.

LH

Delta
10-31-2006, 00:48
Originally posted by Linh40
Well I ETS last year and still haven't had a job. I know that we get 5 points for being a vet when applying for a Gov job. So I applied to a brunch of them and for some reason they alway found someone that was better. (It's not like I'm not qualified, for example for GS-4 they want someone with 1 year of experience well I got over 3 years in the army. Plus GS-4 pay is less than E-4 pay so I don't get it. I seriously doubt there are a brunch of 10 points vet applying for the same jobs as me. Also it's not my resume because it pass the machine part and a person see my resume. So unless the person hiring is anti-vet or something?

And they say that the Gov hire vets first. I applied for GS-4 and 5 positions and this is going no where.

LH

To be honest, I would go to school anyway. They can never take that away from you.
Then you can get a better paying job in the future.

I messed up when I got out of the Army 22 yrs ago, and didn't take advantage of the schools and education available. I kick myself in the butt daily.

If it is available, take it all

JimmyMN
10-31-2006, 01:01
Linh40 said: Oh well if I don't get hired by the next semester I'm starting school. Make plans to go to school, with a job as your backup plan, not the other way around.

OK, so I'm old, 59 yesterday. Many guys that went to Nam when I did and came back never used the education benefits they had, and for the most part regretted that decision. You only have one shot at this, get it right. And, right is education.

Not bragging, but here's my story. Used my VA benefits to finish my last two years of college (graduated from Michigan State) and get an MBA (Wisconsin). Following that I had a great career, thanks to the benefits that funded the education that prepared me for business.

In January, 2005 I retired, partially due to health issues. I loved the work I did, but it would have been a totally different story without education.

Get to school, forget working until after you get the education that you are finding out you need to compete in today's job market.

Linh40
11-01-2006, 00:21
Thanks Delta and JimmyMN. I think this is a sign for me to go to school.

After Iraq it seems like I'm not interested in things anymore and as for the work I applied to many and got one job interview from Home Depot (Who hires the most vets etc...) They won't even hire me. But then again I found out that I would have hated the work there anyway.

So I'll start preparing for school already applied to a community college for the spring semester.

Thanks again,
Linh

Delta
11-01-2006, 15:50
Thanks Delta and JimmyMN. I think this is a sign for me to go to school.

So I'll start preparing for school already applied to a community college for the spring semester.

Thanks again,
Linh

Good job

You will be better off in the long run, control your own future.

Take care Brother

B

JimmyMN
11-01-2006, 23:45
Get your energy up and get out of your current situation...you'll do well in school, you just need to get started. Best wishes, Linh40.

Hack
11-04-2006, 01:08

LH

Linh40 I'm a vet working for the Bureau Of Prisons. I don't frequent this part of the forum that much, (although perhaps I should). But, in noticing that you are saying that you are from California under your user name, I know of a couple of institutions that are short handed right now. You can get a job under VRA, especially if you have seen combat, or received hazardous duty pay for it. Look this upBOP (http://www.bop.gov). Like I said, "I work for them." Any questions, PM. Keep in mind if you're over the maximum age, you'll have to do something else. You might also try working California corrections. Very good pay for that outfit. BOP is good if you want to transfer to any place in the nation that they have a facility and an opening, but don't pay as much as CA.

Hal9mm
11-04-2006, 12:12
I hear ya, i'm still looking for a job, thought I had one but the damn poly cut me from the process.

still looking at LE though.

Hack
11-04-2006, 15:20
Originally posted by Hal9mm
I hear ya, i'm still looking for a job, thought I had one but the damn poly cut me from the process.

still looking at LE though.

When I hired on through this agency,
BOP (http://www.bop.gov) they did not do the poly. You might think about it as a springboard into other Fed LE if that is your interest. They do carry on a back ground check during your first year, even after the initial prehire. I know of one guy who is currently retired from the US Treasury Department, who started where I currently work at. I like working in the field of correctional LE, (and BOP is considered a USDOJ LE component), so I stayed with them. I know others right now who transferred from BOP to ICE, (Immigration Customs Enforcement), and they seem to like that OK. Keep at it, you'll get in somewhere, (as long as your record is decent).;),

The Pontificator
11-07-2006, 10:53
www.militaryhire.com

www.knockemdead.com

FL-obiwan
11-08-2006, 12:05
During the early '70s VietNam vets had trouble getting a job because employers thought we'd go nuts and start killing people (among other reasons). I decided to go back to school for my B.S. and regret not staying for my MBA. The job recruiters wondered why I was looking for my first "entry level" job at age 26. As soon as I mention the military, their eyes glazed over and I knew that I was out of luck. I then took 5 years off my age and eliminated all references to the military on my resume' and job apps. Got some jobs. Now, 30+ years later I again work for the Gov, and they appreciate my prior service!

This is my first time on this forum, but I will be back again regularly.

Klebanoff
11-11-2006, 17:49
I spent four years in the army back in the 80s. I had a good service record and ETSd E-5. While I'm proud to have served my country, I can't say it's ever helped me in the employment department. I applied for a few government jobs and never even got an interview, much less an offer. So I went to school and am now an attorney. Personally, I think school's the best choice for just about anyone.

Some of you may want to rip my head off for saying it, but it's sad America doesn't treat its vets better. Those who serve in the armed forces lay their lives on the line. I think they should get a few more breaks for doing it.

xcrewman
11-12-2006, 09:03
I ETS'D back in 92', attended college right after heavy w/units. Second year I applied to several ABC fed gov. agencies and was offered jobs from three. I accepted on offer from XYZ...

2nd year into the job I tried completing my degree during the evening after work and found myself exhausted from all days of work, late and irrate, thinking to myself down the road...

Well several years later along comes........wife:chatter:, kids:baby: :angel: and :snoopy: :odie: kinda of a :juggle:

STAY IN SCHOOL .........COMPLETE YOUR DEGREE

DriBak
11-14-2006, 18:29
Go to school, do something in the medical field. I went to Nursing school with the GI Bill and ACF (Army College Fund) and now make a very nice living with only an Associates Degree.
Good Luck and thank you for your service

TBO
12-24-2010, 10:30
Those poly's can be tough.

AZ Husker
12-24-2010, 11:20
When I got out I used the old GI Bill. I found out that if I joined the Guards, they paid 75% of my tuition, plus the pay. I then joined the ROTC program in the third year because of my prior service and got another $100/month pay. I received my commission to 2nd Lieutenant after two years. I was making money going to school.

M1A Shooter
12-24-2010, 12:33
i got out in nov 09. spent 10 years as a MP but a combat related injury keeps me from being a LEO now. i spent several months looking and applying everywhere and ended up starting my own business as a handyman. i stay busy and it lets me work around my school.

after being in the military for so long, i almost started to feel dumber. hate to put it that way but the way of the military is mindnumbing and easy. when i started college last year, it really brought me back out of the slump of being medically discharged. you will feel better about keeping your mind active and the new GI bill helps pay the mortgage so thats less stress in todays economy as well.

read a long article about going to school while the economy was down as it will better prepare you for different things when/if things turn up again. might as well better yourself as much as you can while things are slow. especially if you arent currently working.

The Maggy
12-24-2010, 16:56
I spent five years in the infantry and spent two and a half years in Iraq. When I ETSed last year, the only job offer I received was a part time position working security/ door greeter at Best Buy. I took the job and worked it for a few weeks before I realized that I could start school ASAP and the GI Bill was going to pay out the same as Best Buy.

It is kind of annoying when I apply for part time jobs in the summer, I can dismantle a M2 in the dark and I can maneuver a fire time across an objective but not many businesses are looking for that skill set. My advice to someone in the same position as me would be to go to any school, be it a tech center or an university, obtain some sort of real world skill, and then back it up with your military service.

md2lgyk
12-25-2010, 11:52
What did you do in the military? Sorry to say, but many military jobs do not prepare you for civilian employment. If I were you, I'd use the GI Bill and get a degree or some technical training.

Jeepnik
12-25-2010, 12:03
You mentioned "not being interested in anything". Young man, you need to go talk with someone about this. Been there, and done that. Find a vet support group. Not only will it put these feelings in perspective, but you will likely meet someone who can lend a hand toward finding work.

And, like others have said, go back to school. It's hard to sit in a classroom after the "real" life you have led, but do it.

one eye joe
12-26-2010, 20:17
One of the greatest benefits we have as vets is our educational benefits. DO NOT LET THEM GO TO WASTE ! ! Education will change your life. Go to school NOW, while the economy sucks and jobs are scarce. Hopefully, by the time you graduate the job market will be better and you will be better qualified to take advantage of the opportunities presented to you. This plan worked for me back in the early 1970s. Best of luck to you, and thank you for your service........

jarhead0321usmc
12-27-2010, 03:02
I got out in 08. Came home and worked odd jobs for a few months. They included a movie thater, road flagger, and private security. Most of my fellow co-workers were teenagers, who's combat and firearm experience consisted only of what they learned playing COD and other various video games. Needless to say I was not feeling to highly of myself and my job in the Marines had me a lot more qualified then waving a flag all day. So I began applying for LE jobs and eventually just gave in and went back to school. Within 2 months of my first semester. I was contacted by a local state prison and within a couple weeks was hired on full-time with full state benefits. I stayed in school and continued working at the prison where I still currently work and am just about done with my Associates Degree in criminal justice. After speaking with my advisors and a few PD's I've learned that my chanced of hire with a department are just about guarenteed with my background in military, degree, and prison experience. The only thing I'm waiting for now is for them to begin hiring. My advice to you, use the post 9-11 GI bill and go to school, don't lose confidence and stay determined, you will get a job with LE if that's what you want to do. Maybe even look into summer officer PD jobs and getting a PD to sponser you for the 100 hour course. It will only improve your chances and look good on the resume. Also a few guys who I've worked with at the prison have gone on to work for the state police and nypd. So its bound to happen if you put in the energy needed. Sorry for the long post and good luck.

M1A Shooter
12-27-2010, 11:33
as far as LEO is concerned, our deputies almost always come from the volunteer crowd. they train one day a week for a couple hours and work holiday festivals and such. they are unpaid but ARE sworn deputies. this may be something to look into in your area as well as it could help with the process later.

rearnold50
01-10-2011, 08:14
If you are not ied to one area of the country, Try the Boarder Patrol. Don't worry about spainish, they will teach you. But like they rest say, get an education. It payed for, why not use it.

Robert

DustyJacket
01-10-2011, 08:35
Those poly's can be tough.

Just don't talk to the Police and you'll be OK.

:)

Mush
01-10-2011, 13:34
Got out when jobs were tough. Did manual labor until I decided that was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Went to college. Best move of my life. No vets groups in school when I went in. Form or join one if you can. Other groups/clubs just don't understand. Good luck. You will get out what you put in.

TBO
07-31-2013, 02:38

:):whistling:

mknpwr
08-04-2013, 21:41

:)

Especially if he's wearing his hat!

Sent from my rotary dial phone

mknpwr
08-04-2013, 21:50
When I retired in 2010 from the Navy I had a job waiting as an OTR truck driver. Broke my hand and had to wait until the cast and pins were removed. I was 2 years into the hiring process for the SC State Troopers when the SC Dept of Corrections gave me an interview. Short version was the cast and pins kept me from the driver and corrections jobs. I interviewed with the local power company and ended up with them. A year and a half later the State Troopers called me back to continue the hiring process. I told them thanks but no thanks I'm happy where I'm at. I needed a job 2 years ago not sometime eventually in the future maybe.

Sent from my rotary dial phone

billn
08-04-2013, 21:56
When Jimmy Carter was prez I could not find a job. My family ate peanut butter for a week to stay alive. No one seemed to care. I join the military and took advantage of all the neat stuff. I got my associate degree in the service and used all the GI bill to go to college after separation.

Way back then the military would pay 75% of courses taken while in the service.

jbailey8
08-04-2013, 22:06
When I first got out of the army in March 2012 I thought, "Man, I just can't seem to find a job." I used unemployment for two months before I realized that I wasn't really actively looking for a job. Within a week I found work in a warehouse. I didn't love it, but it paid the bills. Then in October I sold my house to a guy and he offered me a job to learn the plumbing and electrical trades. I accepted and have been doing it since. It's not my dream job, but I don't hate it.

Don't be like my BIL, he got out in 2011 and has leeched off his parents (and us) ever since.

If you can afford to be a full time student, DO IT! I tried a semester of school, last year, but I wasn't at all prepared. Get yourself in the student mindset. Procrastination will kill your grades and your motivation to get work completed!

emmascott
10-01-2013, 03:45
I think most of us are getting hard to get a job especially stable one. If we try to notice, thus is due to economic crisis that we are experiencing lately. I agree that we should study curses which lead to more possible job opportunities and avoid undying unemployment rate (http://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/08/10/unemployment-apps-aug-4/). Short term unemployment claims aside, long term unemployment claims the number of people continually filing for unemployment benefit.