Squirrel hunter accuracy Q [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel hunter accuracy Q

romperstomper
10-31-2006, 14:45
I'm looking for absolute honesty.

How often do you flat out miss?

How often do you take a quick follow up?

How often do you pass up poor shots?

Do you shoot from a supported or unsupported position?

noway
10-31-2006, 15:44

shotgun a few times, 22LR pistol alot of times, 22LR rifle a few times, bow ..ALOT of times i miss them;)

Nothing 100%, distance,fatigue, angle of the squirrels determinings if you hit it or mis it.

shotgun alot of times you have a followup or a 2-3 combo to get up to 3 or more squirrels. Rifle & Pistols and bow the chance of a followup on a mis is much slimmer. I hardly take it but on a few ocassion where you mis a tree-rat it will run out and/or poke it's head at you and give you a second try.

That most if not all of the time down here. That also includes shots where the squirrel could fall into a clump of palmetto and would be next to impossible to locate.

shotgun most of the time non-supported, pistol I try to lean into a tree trunk , rifle depends on distance, angle of squirrel if it's moving or standing or sitting or if I feel like I need the support. If you have the support than by all means use it.

vafish
11-01-2006, 06:05
Originally posted by romperstomper

1. How often do you flat out miss?

2. How often do you take a quick follow up?

3. How often do you pass up poor shots?

4. Do you shoot from a supported or unsupported position?

Well I haven't taken a shot at a squirrel since last year. I don't do a lot of squirell hunting, usually just bring a squirrel gun along when setting up deer stands.

When I'm squirrel hunting I usually bring my boys along now.

For me.

1. With my .17 HMR on a squirrel sitting still, Rarely do I miss.

2. I generally don't need a 2nd shot.

3. Quite often, probably why I don't miss often or need a 2nd shot.

4. I use supported whenever possible.

Now when my boys shoot the squirrels.

1. About 50/50 on hits and misses.

2. With the semi auto .22 they sometimes get a quick follow up, but usually not.

3. They get excited shooting squirells, but usually don't get a shot off unless the squirrel is sitting nicely on a branch or hanging still on the trunk.

4. They use a rest or shoot sitting supported whenever possible.

king catfish
11-05-2006, 14:51

1. I miss approximately 1 out of 4-5 shots. I used to miss more often, but I am more careful now about the shots I take.

2. About half of the times I miss, the squirrel moves a short distance after a miss, and I take a followup. I shoot a bolt-action .22 WMR, so my shots are long, and often the squirrel does not know where I am.

3. At least every other squirrel I see presents a shot I decide not to take.

4. Usually supported, about 75%. I make an effort to take a supported position (shooting sticks or nearby tree)whenever I can.

Big B
11-11-2006, 20:03
"That most if not all of the time down here. That also includes shots where the squirrel could fall into a clump of palmetto and would be next to impossible to locate."

Man I hate that. I did that a couple of times before I learned to not take that shot. The problem with my best squirrel hunting area is that most of it is thick palmettos.

noway
11-11-2006, 21:51
{Man I hate that. I did that a couple of times before I learned to not take that shot. The problem with my best squirrel hunting area is that most of it is thick palmettos}

Noway hates palmettos ;) I think god created palmettos for florida just to piss of hunters.

If I could write an story for every animal/bird lost to palmettos, this website would be full. I would take thick cactus, chapman oaks, vines, ferns,water,mu,bulrushs, swamp full of mocassins and and some other "fear factors" before a big bed of palmettos.

Palmettos was one of the main reason I gave up hunting quail for the most part.

mossy500camo
11-12-2006, 17:59

Miss? a few times.

Follow Ups? a few times. You know when the darn things just keep hanging there in the tree. Have to get them down some way. ;)

Pass on poor shots? always.

I shoot both supported and unsupported.

My guns of choice is the Marlin 60 semi auto and 25MN bolt action 22lr.

Sharker
11-15-2006, 13:22
I miss about every third or forth shot [thats an average between freehand (probably miss 1 out of 3) and supported (maybe 1 of 6)]

That depends on the critter. If he gives me a follow up, I usually take it, but it depends on the situation. Its safe to say, if I shot at it the first time, and have the ability to take a second, then its gonna happen.

Where I hunt, theres not as much issues as listed by others. there are Palmettos, but not enough to really dampen the shooting. The biggest reason I would pass on a shot would be if he is silloetting and a miss meant a bullet traveling in an unsafe direction. Where I am now, its not such an issue, but I am always cognizant of it.

Again, I usually shoot from a sitting position, and then I usually am parked near an oak, so I have most of my shots well under 40 yards. I shoot for the eye "every time" and if I miss, its usually still a kill shot, just not the eye. My 25mn is spot on accurate, so its rare that I do miss outright when supported. Now freehand is another story. In all honesty I am too tall for my gun, so freehand misses are more but its still a blast to shoot, and I love shooting the rats.
(Edited to add correct distance of 40 yards, not 4 as I had typed)

collim1
11-20-2006, 20:31
I use a .410 shotgun:supergrin:

Well sometimes atleast.

Most of the time I limit my shot to still sitting squirrel inside of 40yds.

I have a savage bolt .22LR with a 4x scope. I try for head shots and get em sometimes. Often the squirrel will freeze and offer up 2nd shot if I am quiet working the bolt.

I have taken a squirrel at around 100yds with a body shot, but it was not a shot that I would take often. It just so happend that I had a reference that gave me an exact known distance. I lobbed that shot right into his little head and was quite pleased with myself.

I do usually go for a head shot. I have lost squirrels with body shots before. Makes you think twice about carrying a .22 for SD huh?

When my grandfather began losing his eyesight he carried two guns. A .22 for the first shot and a .410 for a follow up shot.