First Archery Kill -- Virginia [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Archery Kill -- Virginia

MarinePride
10-31-2006, 20:35
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/cj29pug/10-30-06012.jpg[/IMG]

I finally managed to bag a deer, a 2 point, with my bow. I shot this buck at about 30 yards at 1645 last night. He ducked the string a bit and I hit him in the spine. He dropped on the spot, but still had use of his front legs and tried to crawl away. I put another arrow into him to get it over with ASAP. Temp was in the 60's and I had used Primos "The Can" estrus bleat call about 5 minutes before he showed up in my shooting lane. I originally thought it was a doe and until I walked up on him, I was sure it was a doe.

I used a Hoyt Raider Powerflex, 60 lbs, 29" Redhead Carbon Supreme 250 arrow, and Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr. broadhead. This is my first season bowhunting and I'm hooked on this stuff now. This was also my 11th time out this year in pursuit of some venison. I probably have over 50 hours standing in a tree, 17 feet up, just waiting for the right opportunity.

noway
10-31-2006, 20:57
congrats and good buck ;)

When I first saw this post and it was loading, I was thinking this was story about a deer hit by an car. All of those vehicle in the background threw me off.

vafish
11-01-2006, 07:08
Nice little buck, should be good eating.

I got to get back out. Last 2 days I've had the schedule all cleared to hunt it was raining.

But I just picked up a climbing stand from a buddy of mine. Got to try it out!

BP season starts on Saturday.

Dalton Wayne
11-01-2006, 07:22
Great job, you will never forget your first bow kill, I remember mine like it was yesterday.

When I lived in Michigan I belonged to Michigan bow hunters, They send you a nice pin when you get your first kill, I still wear it on my hat to this day,

ithaca_deerslayer
11-01-2006, 09:17
Good job.

How'd you get the second arrow in him, and where? How long till he died at that point?

Hummer
11-01-2006, 09:50
Originally posted by MarinePride
I finally managed to bag a deer, a 2 point, with my bow..... I probably have over 50 hours standing in a tree, 17 feet up, just waiting for the right opportunity.

Congratulations on the deer! Man, you fellows who can spend hour after hour standing on a tree platform waiting for a shooting opportunity really have some mettle. You have my admiration but I sure wouldn't want to do it myself. I'm thinking, "freezing toes, aching back, boredom and tunnel vision"....

My hunting regimen involves sitting quietly at dawn and dusk but seldom for more than two hours at a time. Then, it's off to actively still hunt, covering ground to track and find animals wherever they may be. It puts me in the driver's seat and there's never a dull moment that way.

I still have a lot to learn and really enjoy the photos and stories of how others hunt. Thanks MarinePride, for relating your experience.

Hummer

noway
11-01-2006, 10:34
{My hunting regimen involves sitting quietly at dawn and dusk but seldom for more than two hours at a time. Then, it's off to actively still hunt, covering ground to track and find animals wherever they may be. It puts me in the driver's seat and there's never a dull moment that way.
}

the old saying of the man that hunts from the stands see less game but harvest more vrs the man that still hunts and stalks sees more game but harvest less .

If you do your homework correctly and place your stand in the idea location I tend to believe the above saying.

But I have to agreed with stalking put you at ground level and more in control vrs a wait and see approach. Imyself get bored 1hours after daylight sitting in an stand ;)

ithaca_deerslayer
11-02-2006, 08:05
As we hi-jack MarinePrides' thread :)

The question you've got to ask yourself is, can you walk up to a deer and get a good shot.

The answer depends upon the weather, your skill, and what you are shooting with.

Generally, I cannot walk up on a deer and get a good shot. This is especially true with bowhunting. So, I sit and wait for them to come to me (by luck or by knowing where they walk/feed/bed in the area).

But if it is windy/stormy, then I can walk slowly into the wind and find them unaware. Less likely good enough for bowhunting, but I have done it well with pistol.

Now, all the hunting skills aside, anyone of course can just stomp around and kick up some deer, and will likely see a bunch that way. But the only shots to present themselves will be butts hightailing it out of there, and not likely a close standing broadside.