2003 mazda protege rear barke problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2003 mazda protege rear barke problem

dcowboyscr
10-31-2006, 20:30
I have a 2003 Mazda Protege DX with 127,000 miles on it(disc front/drum rear). I have a squeking noise in the front until i apply the brakes then it goes away and also I heard a grinding noise that sounded like the rear brakes hitting the drum, stepped on the brake lightly and it stopped until i let off the brake. I usually get about 50,000 miles out of my brakes and did a brake job about 12,000 miles ago so I can't understand this. Also, it seems to start making the noise more sometimes when i make a turn but not always, if i pull up slightly on the emergency brake the noise in the rear stops until i release it and then it starts again.

NotAMonte86
11-01-2006, 08:20
Sounds like the fronts need to be replaced, maybe you used a softer pad this time?

The rears could have a lot of brake dust in the drums, or could be out of adjustment.

BPMACMAN
11-04-2006, 12:53
most frt pads have a metal wear indicator that will rub the rotor when pad gets down to a prescribed minimum thickness. it is possible that the pads are either worn prematurely or the indicator is bent.remember to open your bleeder screw before pushing the piston back in the caliper bore!!also at 120k i would hope you have changed the brake fluid by now..