DFW Pig Hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DFW Pig Hunting

Arbee
11-04-2006, 00:07
I am interested in hunting pigs in the DFW area. Since I have not done this before, I am looking for a place with a guide who can show me the ropes. Is it true that for meat hunting, it's best to go for smaller pigs in the winter? Any ideas or info that would help me get started without getting slashed would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arbee

aguyindallas
11-05-2006, 17:48
Myself and a couple friends and my father in law went to North Texas Outfitters for the day a few weeks ago. We came home with these:

Me and mine:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/aguyindallas/100_0971.jpg

My friend Justin and his:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/aguyindallas/100_0964.jpg

I had never been pig hunting before and we really had a great time. I highly encourage the place we went to. They are just north of Decatur. www.huntinfo.com/nto Our guide, Don, is among the best in the business.

noway
11-06-2006, 07:40
Qs: for Me & Justin, any story on those two hogs and what was used?

aguyindallas
11-06-2006, 07:45
Justins was taken with a .308 at less than 50 yards. We were walking/stalking and saw him along with a couple others. He decided to take the largest of the group, naturally. One shot, he hit the ground, but was still kicking. As we approached, he was still kicking for a short time. Justin decided it best to dispatch a JHP from his Springer 1911 in the head. Done. Estimated weight 300-325.

Mine was taken at just before dark, at about 100 yards, with a Savage 30-06. The first shot hit her leg, but not high enough. She started walking towards me, stumbling as iff drunk. I lined her up in the scope again and took a head on, head shot. Hit near center, about 2 inches above her eyes. Done. Estimated weight 375-400.

So far, I have had some chops, breakfast sausage and some summer sausage from mine....YUMMY!

noway
11-06-2006, 08:05
{So far, I have had some chops, breakfast sausage and some summer sausage from mine....YUMMY!}

what time should I come by for breakfast ? If you don't mind I would like to do lunch and dinner also ;)

Nice job

:thumbsup:

Arbee
11-06-2006, 16:48
Thanks, aguyindallas. That looks like what I am after. I'll give them a call. Those are huge pigs!

Buckaroo
11-06-2006, 17:01
My 4 yr old daughter is excited about going hog hunting with me! Cool!!!!

aguyindallas
11-06-2006, 17:10
I wish I knew somebody that just had some land that I could hunt on locally, or within reasonable distance that wasnt an arm and a leg to hunt on.